British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Scunthorpe 13th September 2023 Champ playoffs 1st leg

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

One of these riders who rides or guests against you, and scores well..

So. You sign him, and he does badly...:D

Whilst, guesting well....!! :D

He's had his knocks, and is carrying one now. But as far as Lynn goes, enough is enough, as with a few more of them from this season imho.

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

MPT don’t see what Promoters see in him,very  unpredictable From race too race,and has too many meetings where he is not at the races at all,and doesn’t put in any effort.Definately weak link IMO

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

He's not particularly fit.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

One of these riders who rides or guests against you, and scores well..

So. You sign him, and he does badly...:D

Whilst, guesting well....!! :D

He has been struggling all year, not just with knocks & injuries but doing a lot of the work on his own. Driving & mechanicing takes it out of you in mental preparation. 

18 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

He has been struggling all year, not just with knocks & injuries but doing a lot of the work on his own. Driving & mechanicing takes it out of you in mental preparation. 

How did riders manage in the past? For instance Bobby Beaton never had a full time mechanic or driver and managed to get to Hull for home meetings and to away meetings from Scotland. :t:

48 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

How did riders manage in the past? For instance Bobby Beaton never had a full time mechanic or driver and managed to get to Hull for home meetings and to away meetings from Scotland. :t:

Back in the day riders had one bike, did their own mechanics and driving and the majority held down a job as well. 

• Like 3

Still confused why Poole chose Scunthorpe 

Pretty obvious Glasgow don’t go well at Poole as Poole is a gaters track and Glasgow are poor there

Just seems like Poole looked at the table and thought best to avoid Oxford and Glasgow as they are the strongest two teams rather then realising that they have thrashed Glasgow twice at home and beat Scunthorpe by 8…..

Think the Poole management got this badly wrong 

8 hours ago, Gavan said:

Still confused why Poole chose Scunthorpe 

Pretty obvious Glasgow don’t go well at Poole as Poole is a gaters track and Glasgow are poor there

Just seems like Poole looked at the table and thought best to avoid Oxford and Glasgow as they are the strongest two teams rather then realising that they have thrashed Glasgow twice at home and beat Scunthorpe by 8…..

Think the Poole management got this badly wrong 

Glasgow have Tarasenko now so best avoided,Redcar should have been the choice.Not over for Poole  yet though .

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Glasgow have Tarasenko now so best avoided,Redcar should have been the choice.Not over for Poole  yet though .

It was a very bad decision to chose Scunthorpe over Redcar. But no point crying now. We won at Scunthorpe last month but Kemp is now at reserve and is riding well. Think a gargantuan effort would be needed to make the final now. Scunthorpe destroyed Glasgow recently around their place. 

We can’t win it every year, but it doesn’t help choosing the wrong team in our group. Having to rely in Edinburgh turning over Scunthorpe is never going to happen.

But don’t forget that Poole picked Scunthorpe before Charles Wright got injured. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Redcar had ran Poole close in a couple of matches over the last season or two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It was a very bad decision to chose Scunthorpe over Redcar. But no point crying now. We won at Scunthorpe last month but Kemp is now at reserve and is riding well. Think a gargantuan effort would be needed to make the final now. Scunthorpe destroyed Glasgow recently around their place. 

We can’t win it every year, but it doesn’t help choosing the wrong team in our group. Having to rely in Edinburgh turning over Scunthorpe is never going to happen.

I no we have some debates between our clubs throughout the season Steve but like you said even before the result it seemed like a very weird choice by the Poole management to choose Scunthorpe over Redcar. A team with Rowe at reserve is always going to be strong but with the spirit in the pirates team I wouldn’t rule out a comeback it’s a  winner takes all meeting if Poole lost they are not going to get many favours from Edinburgh I fear.

Edited by Mike0310

15 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

I no we have some debates between our clubs throughout the season Steve but like you said even before the result it seemed like a very weird choice by the Poole management to choose Scunthorpe over Redcar. A team with Rowe at reserve is always going to be strong but with the spirit in the pirates team I wouldn’t rule out a comeback winner takes all meeting if Poole lost they are not going to get many favours from Edinburgh I fear.

I know I have said this dozen times but the first thing I posted after Glasgow beat Oxford was Poole, Edinburgh and Redcar and leave the battle between Glasgow, Oxford and Scunthorpe. Redcar with Wright and King are no pushovers but these riders are beatable. Plus weaker reserves. Instead we chose Scunthorpe with a virtually unbeatable Ryan Douglas and a Drew Kemp determined to put one over on us, as he will again attempt on the return leg. 

Ryan Douglas scores at Poole this season.  3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3.   35 out of 36 points. 

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Redcar looked the obvious choice to me?

I still think Poole will pull it back!

Pull what back? Last time I looked it was level ;)

1 hour ago, Biffa said:

But don’t forget that Poole picked Scunthorpe before Charles Wright got injured. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, Redcar had ran Poole close in a couple of matches over the last season or two. 

Exactly. Although Scunny reserves are stronger at Poole than the Redcar ones. But saying that I was not expecting Drew to get paid 15! I was thinking more of 7/8.

24 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I know I have said this dozen times but the first thing I posted after Glasgow beat Oxford was Poole, Edinburgh and Redcar and leave the battle between Glasgow, Oxford and Scunthorpe. Redcar with Wright and King are no pushovers but these riders are beatable. Plus weaker reserves. Instead we chose Scunthorpe with a virtually unbeatable Ryan Douglas and a Drew Kemp determined to put one over on us, as he will again attempt on the return leg. 

Ryan Douglas scores at Poole this season.  3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3.   35 out of 36 points. 

Douglas always good at Poole, Ben top scored for Peterborough so that is good.downside is Lawson guesting for Laguta didnt score very well and Kyle looked awful at Ipswich, may have had mechanical issues and now he is at reserve and will get at least 5 rides we need him to perform better