British Speedway Forum
Ray Stadia

Gordon Kennett

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

1980 at the Abbey sticks in my mind Gordon scoring a. 21 point max and Kai Niemi scoring 19 pts out of a 46 Eastbourne total.

Remember it well Sid!

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Remember it well Sid!

Steve for me  Gordon, Kelly, Martin,D ,Boogaloo, Woodsy were the best i see ride  at Eastie .But hand on  heart ❤ would just edge Gordon in front of Martin and Kelly.  Gordon was a terrific  servant to speedway and i always wanted Gordon to sign for  Swindon  the year Stevie B joined in  1981 it never materialised.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Steve for me  Gordon, Kelly, Martin,D ,Boogaloo, Woodsy were the best i see ride  at Eastie .But hand on  heart ❤ would just edge Gordon in front of Martin and Kelly.  Gordon was a terrific  servant to speedway and i always wanted Gordon to sign for  Swindon  the year Stevie B joined in  1981 it never materialised.

Yes Sidney I always thought that Gordon should have moved to Swindon after the closure of White City but I guess he felt comfortable having Bob Dugard as a promoter?

First League rides in 1970, last ones in 1994, a number 1 for many of them seasons, World number 2 in 1978!

Gordon Kennett had one hell of a career so legendary status is very justified!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Apparently there was a minute's applause for Gordon prior to the recent meeting. A true legend at Cowley.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2023 at 10:21 AM, Sidney the robin said:

World pairs champion with Simmo in 1978 a great achievement to be even picked.

The pair went unbeaten in the semi-final I remember. Gordon borrowed Simmo's bike and tyres during the final. Gordon was so near claiming the three major World Final Gold medals that year. Gold in the Pairs and Silver in the Team Cup and Individual.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:41 AM, steve roberts said:

Apparently there was a minute's applause for Gordon prior to the recent meeting. A true legend at Cowley.

Nothing at Peterborough :(

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, iainb said:

Nothing at Peterborough :(

That's sad considering that Eastbourne and Peterborough had strong promotional ties in the past.

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That's sad considering that Eastbourne and Peterborough had strong promotional ties in the past.

Just respect for a British world class rider should have been enough really but I suppose the promoter had other things on his mind

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2023 at 12:51 PM, iainb said:

Just respect for a British world class rider should have been enough really but I suppose the promoter had other things on his mind

Disgraceful if that was the case .Shame on Promotion.