British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford vs Redcar - Champ playoffs - 24/09

1 hour ago, iainb said:

That's what I'm saying about these riders needing to make their mind up which side their bread is buttered... a guaranteed season in Britain with however many meetings that entails or the chance of a shot in Poland? At the moment the riders want to have their cake and eat it. Don't get me wrong I can totally understand why they do it as there are many clubs in the UK that show zero loyalty to riders, Leicester and then there are those that probably show too much, Edinburgh, Dayle Wood! So there is no "guarantee" of say 30 meetings a season in the UK and this is where it all falls down.

If Bailey was offered a season contract at the start of the year guaranteeing him a team place for the whole year as long as he raced in ALL fixtures, no matter when they were arranged for, he may be more inclined to turn down the Polish carrot. And until that happens, we're always going to have incidents like this and the fans that have followed a club all year all of a sudden get sh@t on come pay off time

But Bailey wasn’t….he was only signed after Shane’s declared he wasn’t going to be fit and he had already got a Polish contract before his deal with Redcar.

The problem here is not the riders, it’s the BSPL’s handing of the hole play off situation , fixtures and the ill thought out rules

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Masters can be a whingey plank as we've seen over the years, the only one I'd back him over was having a go at Pedersen in the Aussie GP :D

Everyone has a go at Pedersen!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

He is Polish though and Poland should be his bread and butter. British Riders riding for British Clubs on British Licences should be committed to Britain as their bread and butter, Poland should be the icing on the cake and in time maybe their bread and butter if they're good enough, at the moment they're just chasing a carrot...

I'm hungry now :D

What I’m saying is IMO Bailey earned more sitting in the pits in Poland yesterday and sees Poland as his future.British speedway is always going to be 2 nd choice for any decent prospect.Poland is a hard gig though,lots of talented youngsters coming through as the Brits likes of  Brennan and Flint are finding out.

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What I’m saying is IMO Bailey earned more sitting in the pits in Poland yesterday and sees Poland as his future.British speedway is always going to be 2 nd choice for any decent prospect.Poland is a hard gig though,lots of talented youngsters coming through as the Brits likes of  Brennan and Flint are finding out.

Yes, I totally get what you're saying and to some extent agree but the likes of Bailey for example may have earn't more sat on his arse yesterday at Wroclaw than he would riding at Oxford... but he's only getting that opportunity because of his scoring in Britain. If he wants to commit to Poland, he should commit to Poland and go out there to sit on his arse every week.

British Speedway needs to protect its asset base, if that means central contracts or something along those lines then so be it. You can't have the likes of Redcar accepting or being forced into riding a play off fixture with half their team missing when the whole point of the league system is to build to some kind of grand finale.

Edited by iainb

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes, I totally get what you're saying and to some extent agree but the likes of Bailey for example may have earn't more sat on his arse yesterday at Wroclaw than he would riding at Oxford... but he's only getting that opportunity because of his scoring in Britain. If he wants to commit to Poland, he should commit to Poland and go out there to sit on his arse every week.

British Speedway needs to protect its asset base, if that means central contracts or something along those lines then so be it. You can't have the likes of Redcar accepting or being forced into riding a play off fixture with half their team missing when the whole point of the league system is to build to some kind of grand finale.

Just to play devil's advocate. I've just read he signed a contract with Wroclaw in March this year, so has been contracted all season (I thought he'd only signed recently). It's not really his fault that Wroclaw haven't picked him until now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

You have too remember that before the season no British Team wanted him because of off a 5+ average because of the weakening of the sport here.Signed to ride in Poland before he got offers here.British Speedway needs to look at itself it’s being run into the ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Everyone has a go at Pedersen!

They are usually just having a go back!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So it’s all down to Glasgow v Oxford on Tuesday. A ten point lead is not enough imo and Glasgow with their powerhouse top 5 will prove too strong against a battling Oxford team. I am hoping for Oxford in the final as it’s a track up the road and we can have a big Pirate contingent, but a ten lead is small. 

Do Glasgow not have too win at Redcar even if they get bonus point.?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

The BSPL and Oxford knew Redcars predicament regarding lack of riders and still made them accept the date. You can’t blame riders, who are self employed, going where they get the best wage. The BSPL didn’t think of ‘protecting its asset base ‘ when it gave Poland the green light on prioritising race dates did it ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The BSPL and Oxford knew Redcars predicament regarding lack of riders and still made them accept the date. You can’t blame riders, who are self employed, going where they get the best wage. The BSPL didn’t think of ‘protecting its asset base ‘ when it gave Poland the green light on prioritising race dates did it ?

Oxford caught between a rock and a hard place.

Monday PL

Tuesday away at Glasgow

Wednesday Chargers at home in a rearranged fixture

Thursday PL

Friday Scunthorpe vs Redcar

Saturday the dogs upset those who like racesuits by all wearing different race jackets.

I think we've had pretty much a full season at Oxford with the weeks without a home meeting only due to calloffs because of the weather.

Edited by Triple.H.