British Speedway Forum
Anzum

Glasgow Vs Oxford play offs 26/9/23

As much as I want Oxford to get to the final (and our best chance is probably for it to be rained off), that's not how I want it to happen. The group surely can't just end like that. Rules are rules and yes extending again is ridiculous, but common sense surely has to prevail. I really hope it can be staged on Saturday, but the cut off has to extended if not.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Think we’re all getting to the past caring stages ,four weeks sitting idle between June and July and now we are depending on weather entering October.

Bookmark this and we will be saying the same next year and the next.

But to answer your question on or before Saturday or we forfeit the meeting.

That’s down to each club leaving big gaps between fixtures. Hence why the end of September should stand, it’s not other clubs fault. Pretty sure we had this issue last year with Leicester and Glasgow and waiting for a fixture to be completed. 
Before anyone jumps on the Poole situation i would agree if we can’t run our fixture against Edinburgh, we lose the tie. 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole

1 minute ago, Bojangles said:

As much as I want Oxford to get to the final (and our best chance is probably for it to be rained off), that's not how I want it to happen. The group surely can't just end like that. Rules are rules and yes extending again is ridiculous, but common sense surely has to prevail. I really hope it can be staged on Saturday, but the cut off has to extended if not.

Can’t keep extending cut offs though we’re do you stop.

As it is a summer sport the fixtures for the playoffs should and could have been completed by mid July.

But once again here we are trying to cram meetings in to complete the season when the weather doesn’t play ball.

• Like 2

It's the fixture planner not the clubs who leave big gaps, as Gaz said we sit idle when theoretically it should be the best of the weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gazc said:

As it is a summer sport the fixtures for the playoffs should and could have been completed by mid July.

But once again here we are trying to cram meetings in to complete the season when the weather doesn’t play ball.

Also no business sense when you expect the public to pay for up to 2 meetings a week, it’s a lot to pay out or even 3 meetings in 7 days. 

4 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

That’s down to each club leaving big gaps between fixtures. Hence why the end of September should stand, it’s not other clubs fault. Pretty sure we had this issue last year with Leicester and Glasgow and waiting for a fixture to be completed. 

Can’t argue with any of that , think it is more an issue getting riders available and working round there schedule and there is the problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Appreciate that, but as an Oxford fan...Glasgow forefitting is the last thing I want to happen.

Edited by Bojangles

2 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Can’t argue with any of that , think it is more an issue getting riders available and working round there schedule and there is the problem.

Like you say nothing changes same fixture shambles year after year.This year has been ridiculous.IMO.

• Like 2

Fearing the wrath of the Glasgow fans for this...but perhaps this is karma for Glasgow's very tame calling off of this league fixture earlier in the year! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Fearing the wrath of the Glasgow fans for this...but perhaps this is karma for Glasgow's very tame calling off of this league fixture earlier in the year! 

That fixture has taken place this is a play off fixture now.

Its not Karma as you say it’s attempting to run a summer sport entering winter and expecting the weather to play ball.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gazc said:

That fixture has taken place this is a play off fixture now.

Its not Karma as you say it’s attempting to run a summer sport entering winter and expecting the weather to play ball.

It could actually be both. They are not mutually exclusive! 

• Like 1

Given we've ridden against Oxford and Redcar in last few weeks why not just retrospectively apply those results as the play off matches.

At least then using actual results rather than arbitrarily deciding the results based on the weather!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

Allegedly this Saturday.

Unlikely I would have thought. Scott Nicholls is due be on duty with Discovery+ for the Torun SGP.

34 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Last thing this sport needs again is a November fixture on a neutral track. 

There’s a full month to run 4 fixtures. Very unlikely it will run into November

• Like 1