British Speedway Forum
Anzum

Glasgow Vs Oxford play offs 26/9/23

Obviously it makes sense for both clubs to be a full strength (baring injuries) for both the fans in attendance and the "integrity" of the sport. But why have a cut-off date that either means, clubs racing understrength or after the cut-off date?

Nothing against Scott, but should the Championship play-offs be held back because he has another job? What if Lee Complin needs to work on Tuesday, can it re-arranged again?

• Like 1

Just now, Bojangles said:

And while I totally agree with what you're saying, isn't it on Redcar to say 'no' if they felt they couldn't compete? Based on Oxford saying 'no', they clearly could have done as well. You can't blame Oxford for that.

Correct yes. I really hope weren't strong armed into accepting by same people agreed to this extension. Maybe been bit naive. I certainly don't see many other promotions accepting the date in the circumstances 

• Like 2

Maybe they should have waited till after tonight's match to announce the re-staging, if Glasgow lose at Redcar, Oxford may have been willing to turn up with half a team?

Last season we saw both Plymouth and Glasgow to name two cause delays to the running the off the play off system, time to put the foot down and stick to the deadline and if clubs fail it then tough.

Maybe if tough measures are taken it might just wake up some promoters to the concept of getting on with the season instead of toying around with meetings during the summer months and calling meetings off on a whim on the grounds that they have time.

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Prob because of the cut off. I don't mind cut off being extended as it has happened a million times before. Why did Oxford ask Redcar to ride with half a team when they were not prepared to do the same themselves? Both teams should have been treated the same and they haven't imo. 

I think this is the problem. Once the horse has bolted once it’s easy to let it do so again and again. 

A strong step to take would be for the authorities to enforce the deadline with no excuses. People won’t take the piss in future that way. 

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

And while I totally agree with what you're saying, isn't it on Redcar to say 'no' if they felt they couldn't compete? Based on Oxford saying 'no', they clearly could have done as well. You can't blame Oxford for that.

Maybe at the time the rumoured cut off forced Redcar to ride as no other dates available before the cut off. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marko said:

Last season we saw both Plymouth and Glasgow to name two cause delays to the running the off the play off system, time to put the foot down and stick to the deadline and if clubs fail it then tough.

Maybe if tough measures are taken it might just wake up some promoters to the concept of getting on with the season instead of toying around with meetings during the summer months and calling meetings off on a whim on the grounds that they have time.

Is it not really getting on with it early season,the number of free weeks at Clubs was a joke.There has to be system where rain offs are arranged within a set time(say 2weeks)or result is declared(against Club not accepting fixture)Guests of not.Every season finishes up the same shambles,should not be happening in what’s meant to be a Professional sport.Riders have to be told too sort their priorities before being signed.Even if it means not riding here.Calling their bluff will help IMO.They take the p#ss out of GB speedway at times.Let them find out how good Poland 1st and 2nd fixtures stack up,especially if they have a couple of bad meetings and are “ not required” for a few weeks.Riders are dictating IMO

8 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I think some of you are interpreting for your own agenda.  The post simply said "so we won't be going to Glasgow tonight...Hmmm" with a thinking emoji and then a rain cloud.  It could simply mean so when will we be going as it has to be done by the end of Sept - if you want to know what he meant, just ask him!

Hmmm! Maybe he's auditioning for the voiceover of that humming bird advert. :blink::cheers:

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Maybe at the time the rumoured cut off forced Redcar to ride as no other dates available before the cut off. 

Maybe there were, maybe there weren’t. We’ll likely never know, so no point in hearsay. 

3 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Easy to be wise after the event, maybe Redcar need to get their crystal ball rebooted.

8 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Easy to be wise after the event, maybe Redcar need to get their crystal ball rebooted.

Not really. If Oxford can say no two days before the deadline, I’m pretty sure Redcar could have done a full week before it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Maybe they should have waited till after tonight's match to announce the re-staging, if Glasgow lose at Redcar, Oxford may have been willing to turn up with half a team?

Harder to get injured when you don’t ride!

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

I think this is the problem. Once the horse has bolted once it’s easy to let it do so again and again. 

A strong step to take would be for the authorities to enforce the deadline with no excuses. People won’t take the piss in future that way. 

In which case, they need to write it in the rules.

All I know is that we Pirates are in 2 Finals & are resting up while our opponents sort themselves out!

1 hour ago, lbw said:

All I know is that we Pirates are in 2 Finals & are resting up while our opponents sort themselves out!

Maybe you should run that final you qualified for 12 months ago rather than sitting on your arses resting up. It’s not like Leicester are busy.