British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Sheffield play off final 1st leg

Looking back at some of great riders that was in the GP’s 10-15 years ago do you think they’d be moaning about the track? Problem now the so called superstars can only ride slick tracks so when they come up against anything other than that they can’t handle it! Why shouldn’t Ipswich set up the track to suit them? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

if you look closely you can see Holder out in front…..taken about the time he was psyched out of the meeting.

IMG_8237.jpeg

Only time he was out in front

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just enjoyed watching a recording having returned from another brilliant Ipswich home win at Portman Road :D

I don't think the track was deliberately prepared as it was but if they were looking at the best way to mess with Sheffield heads that was spot on

A fantastic lead but still not over. Just as was seen at Belle Vue even  a decent margin offers no guarantee

Need a similar start as in the semi to settle things down and then bring it home 

One last thing - who fancies a sing song?

Everybody - "Robert Lambert what a w@n£er tra lal la lal la la. Robert Lambert what a w@n£er tra lal lal la la la" :P

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Lambert 1 and only done 3 meetings in Uk

Wrong!!!! 4 away and 2 at home.............. Play off don't count

Edited by Bald Bloke

59 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Lambert 1 and only done 3 meetings in Uk

Ok :t:

Edited by Bald Bloke

Does anyone know how Doyle is, I’ve seen on a few different Facebook pages that he was seen getting into and being taken away from Foxhall in an ambulance. It’s also rumoured he may not be able to take part in Thursdays meeting.

He’s had a few nasty accidents recently so hope it’s just precautionary.

Edited by Debbi

1 hour ago, 2ndbend said:

So how many riders has Jason knocked off???? Answer 0

dont let Freddie hear you say that.

I dont think this is over, we were 22 points down after four heats in our second leg and took it to the last heat, Riss Rew and the witches reserves could find the going tough at Owlerton, Emil, Doyley, and King are going to need some backing. If reports Doyle is having check ups and could miss the second leg are true  that could be pivotal, hope hes ok. Sheffield will certainly be a far tougher proposition and could pull this back if unlike us they get off to a good start.

So......

Just finished watching the meeting on TV after being there tonight. 

The track was a lot drier than last meeting and should have been a lot wetter to make it an "Ipswich track" 

Doyle Emil and King all came to the party 

Hume Riss and Rew all scored their average.  Thompson got stuck in.

Yes the lead should have been bigger but for mistakes but hey that's the Witches way.

Could have been so very different after the heat 4 incident with Hume and Doyle, fortunately both riders got up and rode for the remainder of the meeting, hope both are OK. 

As for Sheffield, Stead and his riders all seemed to have chip on their shoulders, whinge whinge whinge. Wonder if that's how they got Lambert in as a guest.  Talking of him.... doesnt he fit in well.. wow I thought Holder would be chief dummy spitter. 

Wonder if the ref fined him for his comments to him? Quite easily be and as many have said if you don't like it don't ride here.  As Kelvin said " it's the same for both sides " 

Set up nicely for the Witches on Thursday now... 

As for a last heat deceider like the semi final.... I'd take that any day of the week.... so long as the result is the same :t:

Up the Witches :cheers:

Ps I hope he not needed but I hear Lawson is available to guest on Thursday if needed... :blink:

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

2 hours ago, spin king said:

For the meeting on Thursday we need the Sheffield spirit of 30th September 2010.

Was that the night you overturned the Monarchs?:party:

You may well have a visitor to S6 2DE on Thursday evening that hasn't been near Penistone Rd for 8 years;)Let me know where you locate yourself via PM:t:

Edited by bluejam

What I find quite ironic just going over the many pages,is that many of the Ipswich fans lament the Lynn track but watching that last night and last week can they really say their track is any better.I don't think so at all.

• Like 1

I wonder what Lambert’s beef was last night. Was it the track or the fact he got out rode in four of his heats? If the track was that bad he didn’t seem to concerned in heat 5 when he won with the quickest time of the night.

Just seems a sore loser with a complete lack of sportsmanship just like Holder who couldn’t be arsed to collect his runners up medal in the cup final.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Are you suggesting the bloke who has finished in the top six of the GP's the last two years isn't 'truly world class'?

In any case two out of fourteen riders being able to handle the track isn't good enough. That was an awful speedway meeting, and we get far too many of those in this country.

I can only agree with this, the track was a disgrace and the referee not much better, he let a few fliers go last night and whatever he was thinking in heat four when Hume locked up heaven alone knows.

Sayfutdinov, Doyle and King were excellent for Ipswich and Lambert and Pickering did their best for Sheffield but Holder was appalling and the rest of the riders couldn’t handle the track.

As a viewing spectacle it was complete rubbish and that’s the biggest problem, for a showpiece final it was an utter disgrace.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I can only agree with this, the track was a disgrace and the referee not much better, he let a few fliers go last night and whatever he was thinking in heat four when Hume locked up heaven alone knows.

Sayfutdinov, Doyle and King were excellent for Ipswich and Lambert and Pickering did their best for Sheffield but Holder was appalling and the rest of the riders couldn’t handle the track.

As a viewing spectacle it was complete rubbish and that’s the biggest problem, for a showpiece final it was an utter disgrace.

And the 2nd leg of the show piece semi final last Thursday was what. A disgrace win at all costs ………

• Like 4

In fairness Hawkins concedes in his match report that the track was very tough last night - due to the bad weather Monday night track prep yesterday was very difficult.

Louis said on the mic last night wasn’t his choice for the fixture to be moved to so any notion Ipswich doctored the track doesn’t hold weight, they’ve done the best they can in the situation that presented itself due to the weather conditions.

As for lambert moaning, yep Hume should’ve been out, but in heat 1 he shouldn’t be moaning Emil was allowed back in after getting a huge shove from howarth and getting locked to lambert, frankly I think there’s probably only a handful of riders in the world in that moment that could’ve done what Emil did to avoid a huge huge crash, Robert lucky he wasn’t sat up in the diner yet he’s moaning Emil got back in the race?? 

also I liked Hawkins comment in his report that 13 out of 14 riders made the best of it and got stuck in and attacked the track in tough conditions…dunno who he was referring to? Any guesses hahahah

weather was fine here the last couple of weeks btw and it’s wasn’t our meetings that hadn’t been fit in in time for the playoffs to be staged on the original dates.

disappointed it’s not a bigger lead with Danyon throwing away points in several races but if you’d have offered any Ipswich fan an 18 point lead going into the second I’m sure we’d have all bitten your hand off for that.

• Like 2