British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

That's the problem of qualifying rounds. Carry an injury, engine failure and you can be out in the blink of an eye. Happened on the lead up to one off world finals many times. That reality shows having human beings selecting who goes in and who comes out is a reasonable way of getting a GP line up. Problem then is every man and his dog on a forum want there voice heard. The selection committee has heard the call for fresh faces and delivered. Not to everyone's liking...but you asked, you got, suck it.

No moaning from me, I understand the commercial pressures.

• Like 2

No doubt about it, that line up is the worst I have seen in 25 years. Awful. 

I actually think bringing back a 24 rider field (22 perm and 2 wild cards per round) with the eliminators would be a good idea now like the late 90s and early 2000s. I dont think anyone would disagree that they were far, far more exciting than what we have at the moment?

That line up, along with the current commentary team , will add no excite at all. 

35 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

No moaning from me, I understand the commercial pressures.

When it becomes more about commercial considerations and less about sporting achievement (in qualifying) then we the fans, have lost.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Not a surprise, but not sure Woffinden deserved another wildcard.

It makes a mockery of the sporting contest where you can be selected because your face fits or because of being a world champion five years ago, rather than because you earned the right to be there based off form over the last 12 months.  

Wildcards should only ever be reserved for riders who were on target for qualification but injury prevented. 

Not sure about but he is certainly better than the other couple of picks.

15 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not sure about but he is certainly better than the other couple of picks.

And at least one qualifier, also...

6 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Is there any chance of Emil and Artem riding in the Speedway European Championships?

The organisers of that event could put together a great line up.

Sayufutdinov

Laguta

Janowski

Kolodziej

Thomsen

Fricke

It would be the only way the could try and force their hand. But isn't it done by FIM Europe??

Therefore, they won't let them in.

Zmarzlik won't be needing the 600 next year. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

That's the problem of qualifying rounds. Carry an injury, engine failure and you can be out in the blink of an eye. Happened on the lead up to one off world finals many times. That reality shows having human beings selecting who goes in and who comes out is a reasonable way of getting a GP line up. Problem then is every man and his dog on a forum want there voice heard. The selection committee has heard the call for fresh faces and delivered. Not to everyone's liking...but you asked, you got, suck it.

Nothing wrong with the qualifying system, all riders should be in it. Too much dross back in again 

14 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

Nothing wrong with the qualifying system, all riders should be in it. Too much dross back in again 

But this year’s qualifying system has thrown up a wobbler or two, and has done in the past as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OveFundinFan said:

But this year’s qualifying system has thrown up a wobbler or two, and has done in the past as well.

As it did in the old World Final days...

Perhaps the answer would be to have the SGP Challenge run as a series also?

23 minutes ago, chunky said:

As it did in the old World Final days...

Perhaps the answer would be to have the SGP Challenge run as a series also?

I do think that would be a better option than a one off. Maybe 3 meetings. Two at least. Just because one track can suit a rider more than another. The problem particular to speedway

That is in an ideal world though. It might well be they have enough problems finding one track a season........

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Pretty damning comments from Krzysztof Cegielski in the Polish media.

He said the wild cards had nothing to do with speedway and they were all political/commercial decisions.

He is right and his viewpoint is shared by millions of speedway fans in Poland.

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

I do think that would be a better option than a one off. Maybe 3 meetings. Two at least. Just because one track can suit a rider more than another. The problem particular to speedway

That is in an ideal world though. It might well be they have enough problems finding one track a season........

Yeah, I see no reason they couldn't have two or three - even if they were in Poland. 24 riders, 2 meetings each; sounds okay to me...

3 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Pretty damning comments from Krzysztof Cegielski in the Polish media.

He said the wild cards had nothing to do with speedway and they were all political/commercial decisions.

He is right and his viewpoint is shared by millions of speedway fans in Poland.

He also had his say on the Zmarzlik deal in Vojens. And your point is?

Just because he was a rider doesn't mean he is right...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MARK246 said:

6 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

But that's because there are 5 wild cards, the top riders don't need to enter the qualifiers so there's more chance of a "lesser" rider qualifying for the GPs.