British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, 4BM said:

Whilst Denmark, Sweden and Poland have fixed race nights there won’t be one big league in the UK.  Next year the Prem will have at least 6 (Birm, BV, KL, Leic, Ips, Shef) possibly 7 with the new track (not blabbing with the location, I’ll let the promotion do that).  As for team building average needs a bump up from 39 to either 40.5 or 41 to allow teams to get a couple of big hitters in (existing or new to league) and a decent engine room rather than being full of 4 pointers. 

Those countries don't have 'fixed' race nights, they have priority race nights for when there are fixture clashes.

Also is any new track allowed to go straight into the Premiership? Oxford weren't allowed to 2 seasons ago!

3 of the most well attended meetings I've been to this season have all been held on a Saturday night... just saying B)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, iainb said:

3 of the most well attended meetings I've been to this season have all been held on a Saturday night... just saying B)

Ipswich are acknowledged as having some of if not the best attendance figures in the country, they run on a Thursday 

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Ipswich are acknowledged as having some of if not the best attendance figures in the country, they run on a Thursday 

But traditionally they've always had their largest crowds on a Good Friday... not a school night

3 hours ago, iainb said:

But traditionally they've always had their largest crowds on a Good Friday... not a school night

That’s more to do with Bank Holidays not being a work day, rather than a non School day. 

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

That’s more to do with Bank Holidays not being a work day, rather than a non School day. 

Yes, it's a turn of phrase. The general point I was making was that if you hold your meetings when people have time and find it easier to get to them, crowds will turn up

Edited by iainb

On 10/7/2023 at 6:01 AM, DiveBomb said:

I do agree that the points limit around be risen slightly. I'd say 42 is a fair number especially like you said with the amount of big hitters looking for a UK side. I struggle to find enough 4/5 point riders now that can be shared amongst 6/7 teams. In terms of the new track I don't have any idea who that is !

Phil Morris is having one built in his back garden, down in south Wales

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iainb said:

Yes, it's a turn of phrase. The general point I was making was that if you hold your meetings when people have time and find it easier to get to them, crowds will turn up

Wow!!!

Radical.....

Luckily the sport in the UK has too many fans already so doesn't need to put meetings on when more people can get there...:D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Phil Morris is having one built in his back garden, down in south Wales

No that’s too far south :-)

Interesting point made on the Workington 2024 forum. Someone said they spoke to the promotion and said it was more likely of practice days and amateur meetings next year. Does this mean the championship will gain a few more clubs like the comets, Mildenhall and possibly Kent? I assume that means not only Birmingham stepping up but possibly one more? 

Birmingham stepping up IMO will only work if the club is renamed to something to accommodate a Wolves influence. Otherwise forget it. Remember the year they went EL and made the final of the play offs? There crowds that year were still below a 1000 every week and that was ten years ago.

If the likes of CVS and Adams etc join Birmingham it could work. Maybe. Its only 18 miles according to a quick Google search. However, if Birmingham as they are move up then unless a multi millionaire is bank rolling the club, it won't be a success. IMO of course.

3 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Birmingham stepping up IMO will only work if the club is renamed to something to accommodate a Wolves influence. Otherwise forget it. Remember the year they went EL and made the final of the play offs? There crowds that year were still below a 1000 every week and that was ten years ago.

If the likes of CVS and Adams etc join Birmingham it could work. Maybe. Its only 18 miles according to a quick Google search. However, if Birmingham as they are move up then unless a multi millionaire is bank rolling the club, it won't be a success. IMO of course.

I don't see how having the wolves memorabilia helps Birmingham still. I'm looking at it from a fans point of view. If my club shut would I travel an extra 18 miles to see a different club with a different name on a different race track? Probably not. There will be a few that go but to make it financially sustainable then Birmingham need at least a 1000 to make the move work. I fear for Birmingham I really do. There support is dreadful. 

Just now, DiveBomb said:

I don't see how having the wolves memorabilia helps Birmingham still. I'm looking at it from a fans point of view. If my club shut would I travel an extra 18 miles to see a different club with a different name on a different race track? Probably not. There will be a few that go but to make it financially sustainable then Birmingham need at least a 1000 to make the move work. I fear for Birmingham I really do. There support is dreadful. 

I know that, I posted recently that Peterborough fans wont travel to support Lynn as its not the same.

But if, say, Birmingham and Wolves merged (have no idea what they would rename themselves) and a few of Wolves riders signed for them as well as the Wolves promotion merging with the Birmingham promotion, that could possibly work no?

3 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I know that, I posted recently that Peterborough fans wont travel to support Lynn as its not the same.

But if, say, Birmingham and Wolves merged (have no idea what they would rename themselves) and a few of Wolves riders signed for them as well as the Wolves promotion merging with the Birmingham promotion, that could possibly work no?

I think possibly yes it could work. I feel like know matter what they try it's doomed. Quit depressing I know :( For all the issues Birmingham have that main one is the support isn't there. Shame really as its in hugely populated city with all walks of life nearby. 

Just now, DiveBomb said:

I think possibly yes it could work. I feel like know matter what they try it's doomed. Quit depressing I know :( For all the issues Birmingham have that main one is the support isn't there. Shame really as its in hugely populated city with all walks of life nearby. 

Agree. Birmingham going into the EL is financial suicide. The more you think of it, I would say its definite that Wolves promotion have got something to do with it.

• Like 1