British Speedway Forum

So developments to date look like Birmingham Wolves to run on a MONDAY in the PL and IMO p.off winners Glasgow joining the PL on a Monday. 

The CL looks to lose 2 clubs unless the Workington Comets can be helped to step up.

Dont see any future for the NDL in 2024 , with Kent joining NORA after their shabby treatment by BSP Ltd this season, and surely Mildenhall will no longer continue ? 

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

So developments to date look like Birmingham Wolves to run on a MONDAY in the PL and IMO p.off winners Glasgow joining the PL on a Monday. 

The Birmingham promotion have said that there is no connection with Wolverhampton. They also know that one way to get rid of the fans would be to call the team 'Birmingham Wolves'. Not going to happen.

10 minutes ago, *JJ said:

The Birmingham promotion have said that there is no connection with Wolverhampton. They also know that one way to get rid of the fans would be to call the team 'Birmingham Wolves'. Not going to happen.

Spot on. Disenfranchise the Brummie fans with a change of name and and is of virtually no incentive for Wolves fans to attend either. 

Birmingham seem to live under the cloud of closure constantly. To step up a league under those circumstances is foolishness of the highest order. If they do then I doubt they’ll be coming to the tapes at all for 2025. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Birmingham seem to live under the cloud of closure constantly. To step up a league under those circumstances is foolishness of the highest order. If they do then I doubt they’ll be coming to the tapes at all for 2025. 

They might not have a stadium to race in in 2025 anyway. Its the greyhound people again calling the shots and even they haven't got a long term lease without knowing the Perry Barr Developer's plans and time scale, under pressure from the skint Council to build on it asap!!

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

I agree it's madness, all this had been tried at PB before, what's the difference this time?

I hate seeing people lose huge sums of money putting on speedway

I'm sure those running Brum aren't daft and know the score, and if they can only run on Mondays then they have no choice anyway. 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure those running Brum aren't daft and know the score, and if they can only run on Mondays then they have no choice anyway. 

Maybe the TV money only going six ways will help subsidise the move? 

Wasn't it said at the Brandon hearing that each team got "six figures"...

If so, dividing up the seventh teams' money would deliver another £15k to £20k per team...

Pays for a GP rider and some change...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

If so, dividing up the seventh teams' money would deliver another £15k to £20k per team...

I'm sure it was said by Alex Brady last year that paying for Laguta came from the TV money.

19 hours ago, noaksey said:

I agree it's madness, all this had been tried at PB before, what's the difference this time?

The promoter knowing what he is doing? The previous attempt at the Elite League failed because the promoter never paid anybody ...

On 10/11/2023 at 7:19 PM, bruno said:

I don't get that but the numbers there don't lie

Never had understood the idea of watching a load of old bangers drivers round smashing into each other. Might as well as sit on a bridge on M25 and watch all the cars escaping ULEZ charges.

19 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

have you ever listened to the current Birmingham promoter in a podcast? Sounds like a nice guy, but also sounds like he has no idea what he is doing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

The promoter knowing what he is doing? The previous attempt at the Elite League failed because the promoter never paid anybody ...

How much money have Birmingham lost over the last few seasons? 

On 10/12/2023 at 5:48 PM, mikebv said:

If this is the case why isn't some of the "TV Money" being used to bring the youngsters on...The Youth Championship no longer gets payments towards clubs hosting a round therefore half the Clubs don't bother (payments I believe used to be around £600 per meeting to help with Medical Cover Etc).

Why isn't some of it being used to pay towards Clubs running Qualifying Meetings for each Leagues Riders Championships so every rider named in a 1-7 can Qualify for the Final and make it meaningful?

Everyone blames Godfrey and Co for everything yet the "Top Six " takes all the money and splashes it on big names looking for top up wages who actually don't add to the gate numbers?