British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, MillenTheVillen said:

Everyone blames Godfrey and Co for everything yet the "Top Six " takes all the money and splashes it on big names looking for top up wages who actually don't add to the gate numbers?

Who says they don't add to the gate numbers?

I'd put a pound to a penny few if any Championship clubs get half the numbers seen at Ipswich and would confidently state that whenever Emil was is town that the home club saw an increase of 200....... 

That's an increase not far short of some championship totals.....

47 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Who says they don't add to the gate numbers?

I'd put a pound to a penny few if any Championship clubs get half the numbers seen at Ipswich and would confidently state that whenever Emil was is town that the home club saw an increase of 200....... 

That's an increase not far short of some championship totals.....

Ok I'll take your bet, please provide proof to back up your statement that Emil is adding 200 to every track he's rode at this Season?

There's this mistaken belief that the "Big Names" are British Speedways savours...yet to see it working as all they're doing is taking the big pounds out the Sport while they're allowed too.

Edited by MillenTheVillen
Add more content
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MillenTheVillen said:

Ok I'll take your bet, please provide proof to back up your statement that Emil is adding 200 to every track he's rode at this Season?

There's this mistaken belief that the "Big Names" are British Speedways savours...yet to see it working as all they're doing is taking the big pounds out the Sport while they're allowed too.

I don't think they are British speedway's saviours at all, the problems run far deeper than that but I'd be astonished if riders like Emil, Doyle, Bewley, Lambert, Tai etc don't get extra bums on seats when they are in town.

As a general point though Id agree that telly money has been utterly squandered since 1999.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MillenTheVillen said:

Getting proof of attendance at any speedway meeting is like counting hens teeth

You'd have the same issue trying to prove my claim isnt true 

They aren't the saviours although they would have more chance of being so if it weren't for to the woeful way the sport is administrated 

As for them draining the money I don't agree. That largely comes from TV and individual sponsors who in general wouldn't put that money in for a run of the mill alternative 

• Like 3

I attended the NSS last year specifically to watch Laguta, and Sayfutdinov...

And attended the PCMM to watch Lambert and Tai...

Wouldn't have been the only ones either...

• Like 2

I'm sure they do add some more bums on seats but sadly not enough to be able to invest anything back into a club, and when they leave, the clubs are back to square one again. 

The same happened years ago with the Sky money, pretty much everything went to the riders and nothing put aside for track prep, upgraded facilities or even the chance to own your own track. 

Sadly, promoters can't see further than the end of their nose whilst riders get daft deals that will ultimately be their own downfall when there's nobody left to ride for. It's just bad economics all round really. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Getting proof of attendance at any speedway meeting is like counting hens teeth

You'd have the same issue trying to prove my claim isnt true 

They aren't the saviours although they would have more chance of being so if it weren't for to the woeful way the sport is administrated 

As for them draining the money I don't agree. That largely comes from TV and individual sponsors who in general wouldn't put that money in for a run of the mill alternative 

So your saying they are Squandering TV money and Sponsor money on riders who are are adding 200 to each home Meeting....that in it's is part of the problem with British Speedway ...spend more to bring in less makes a lot of sense right enough!

The state of the top flight  with it's 4-6 teams is proof the big names are  not working.

4 hours ago, MillenTheVillen said:

If this is the case why isn't some of the "TV Money" being used to bring the youngsters on...The Youth Championship no longer gets payments towards clubs hosting a round therefore half the Clubs don't bother (payments I believe used to be around £600 per meeting to help with Medical Cover Etc).

Why isn't some of it being used to pay towards Clubs running Qualifying Meetings for each Leagues Riders Championships so every rider named in a 1-7 can Qualify for the Final and make it meaningful?

Everyone blames Godfrey and Co for everything yet the "Top Six " takes all the money and splashes it on big names looking for top up wages who actually don't add to the gate numbers?

The TV money goes to the clubs that feature on TV, that’s simple enough. The SCB/ BSPL have no interest in the youth or they wouldn’t have withdrawn the funding in the first place.

Godfrey should shoulder SOME of the blame, he presides over the whole shambles after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So your saying they are Squandering TV money and Sponsor money on riders who are are adding 200 to each home Meeting....that in it's is part of the problem with British Speedway ...spend more to bring in less makes a lot of sense right enough!

The state of the top flight  with it's 4-6 teams is proof the big names are  not working.

The reality is that there is no clear direction, hence teams can pick and choose what level to race in, as and when it suits them..

Those in the top flight deserve the TV money as they are the ones that get covered..

Unfortunately, more teams in the top league would dilute that money, therefore it isn't viable for many teams to even consider it..

What we have is hanging on by a thread if you use the last ten years worth of track closures and defections as a barometer of the next decade to come...

Maybe now Phil Morris has a full season (and pre season), he can make a fundamental difference..

Without a clear generic growth plan for the sport as a whole though, it will not work..

Sheffield and Glasgow won their respective leagues but it has hardly raised a ripple of publicity nationally...

But, next year, if nothing changes, every track will no doubt, once again, try and ensure they can manipulate success by using some ill conceived, ambiguously written regulation that let's them have some success..

Whilst, all the while, diluting any kudos in winning, and preventing wider mainstream coverage, by their very insular focused actions..

UK Speedway sadly thinks small time, insular, and short term, and that isn't ever going to grow it organically, generically and nationally...

Putting an extra 200 on one tracks gate due to their "success" really isn't progress..

Putting 200 on every track, however small that still may be, is...

And may start some momentum for further growth..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The TV money goes to the clubs that feature on TV, that’s simple enough. The SCB/ BSPL have no interest in the youth or they wouldn’t have withdrawn the funding in the first place.

Godfrey should shoulder SOME of the blame, he presides over the whole shambles after all.

Come on young man even you know in your position he only says to the dwindling masses what others have decided. Even if he disagrees he has to go with the majority 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MillenTheVillen said:

You say squandering  - I say utilising

With your thinking you don't have the top riders which means you don't have the TV and sponsor money

That evens out but then you have the 200 less fans which means the clubs are 200 lots of admission money worse off

All is well though as we get to see Simon Lambert instead of Emil Sayfutdinov........

(Apologies to Simon - just the first name that came to mind :))

• Like 1

who does Morris answer to? How much power does he actually have? I am sure he's capable of making good decisions but would they be blocked?

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

The reality is that there is no clear direction, hence teams can pick and choose what level to race in, as and when it suits them..

Those in the top flight deserve the TV money as they are the ones that get covered..

Unfortunately, more teams in the top league would dilute that money, therefore it isn't viable for many teams to even consider it..

What we have is hanging on by a thread if you use the last ten years worth of track closures and defections as a barometer of the next decade to come...

Maybe now Phil Morris has a full season (and pre season), he can make a fundamental difference..

Without a clear generic growth plan for the sport as a whole though, it will not work..

Sheffield and Glasgow won their respective leagues but it has hardly raised a ripple of publicity nationally...

But, next year, if nothing changes, every track will no doubt, once again, try and ensure they can manipulate success by using some ill conceived, ambiguously written regulation that let's them have some success..

Whilst, all the while, diluting any kudos in winning, and preventing wider mainstream coverage, by their very insular focused actions..

UK Speedway sadly thinks small time, insular, and short term, and that isn't ever going to grow it organically, generically and nationally...

Putting an extra 200 on one tracks gate due to their "success" really isn't progress..

Putting 200 on every track, however small that still may be, is...

And may start some momentum for further growth..

Agreed, but the problems with British Speedway (and many other sports) are wide ranging and fairly complex and the time for radical change has sadly long gone. The opportunities missed due to poor management and navel gazing can not be changed with a silver bullet. I have little confidence that Phil Morris has the acumen or authority to make a significant difference. Back woodsman Godfrey clearly wants to bring down the sport down to his clubs level as frankly he hasn’t the capability or vision to raise the sports profile. Where do we go from here? Well we are past the point of no return and short of a miracle and an investment of many many millions of pounds I fear British speedway will continue to slowly spiral into oblivion. 

Edited by Speedtiger
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MillenTheVillen said:

Tai definitely added to the crowds at Sheffield when he came back

• Like 1

Surely Phil Morris has only been appointed as 'Chief Executive of Premiership Speedway' rather than the whole sport.?!

His main aims, certainly initially, were to improve the presentation (promotion?) by all Premiership clubs for Eurosport/Discovery TV.

I'm sure there is a Monty Python quote somewhere - "he's not the Messiah.....................?" (I forget the rest!):cheers:

• Like 1