British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

3 hours ago, Ben91 said:

They don’t give out prizes based on who uses the most of the team building limit at the start of the season. 

Wilson-Dean is pony. Anyone who signs him on that average would just be writing off their season before a wheel is turned. 

I know that all too well :sad:

I do have a big soft spot for Plymouth, so I'm pretty sad to see the team they're putting together, it's just not going to be good enough, but I guess they're making the most of what they have.

1. 8.21 Left

2. Dan Thompson 4.86

3. Alfie Bowtell 4.49

4. Kyle Newman 5.51

5. Ben Barker 7.42

6. Jacob Hook 4.00

7. Joe Thompson 3.51

Positives: good reserves compared to the rest of the league, if the likes of Alfie and the Thompsons kick on in a weaker league, will have a good middle order

Negatives: No top end power whatsoever (other than Barker at home)

Hope Plymouth can find a 15 point man on a 8.21 average...

19 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Because he ain't a no1 far from it.

Maybe not a No 1, but could possibly slot in at a different position. Just a thought.. 

18 minutes ago, magnus said:

Maybe not a No 1, but could possibly slot in at a different position. Just a thought.. 

He would start at No1 though

24 minutes ago, magnus said:

Only if they don’t want to have a chance of winning anything. 

The side so far doesn’t look as bad as it’s being made out to be. There’s certainly hope/scope for improvement from all of the bottom four. Having the right number one is important though. 

Buying Ben Morley for the price of Scott Nicholls isn’t the answer and that’s what’s being rumoured. 

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 1

Bwd has been on a bike as recent as September winning U.S open beating the likes of broc nicol and Dylan ruml in their own back yard .

22 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The problem is, I don't think they would have two strong reserves all year (unless Joe T improves). If they had Bowtell & a 5.00 reserve, I'd say you could cover for lack of heat leader strength, but not when built 1+ points below the limit.

11 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Oxford's team is 1 point below the limit and doesn't look weak

I would say Oxford are a special case as they have 2 x 2.00 riders who would be above that average, but didn't ride enough matches to gain an average.

Plymouth don't have that luxury of riders being on "false" averages if they are below the limit.

10 hours ago, DJC said:

From the reserves announced so far, Joe T is definitely the strongest no7! Piper, James, Hagon, Trigger, Harrison, McGurk he beats 9/10 for me.

Then you will have either Bowtell, Gilkes or Dan T at reserve with him. At home they should be very hard to beat and will take some bettering away too.

I agree Joe T is the strongest number 7 so far, but don't think it will be a big enough of a difference to make up for Plymouth's lack of top end.

If they had Bowtell, Gilkes or Dan T at reserve with him, I'd have a little more positivity, but Jacob Hook isn't gonna be the top reserve on the league, the aforementioned trip could've been.

6 hours ago, lewy said:

I would think he is worth a punt on that average as not many riders available . If he struggles could replace later in the season. Coming in .2 under 38 would be good use of pts available 

BWD would be a terrible signing imo. If he struggles, he wouldn't get an average till they raced 8 of their 16 league matches, season could be over before they have the opportunity to strengthen up.

Even then you'd expect the rest of the side to up their averages (teams should rise from 38 to 42) so even if he dropped 2 points, wouldn't mean they had 2 points available to replace him with.

I'd go for Matthew Wethers before BWD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Steve Worrall's not been confirmed anywhere else yet!!!

Yet

• Haha 1

BWD would be an absolutely ridiculous signing. Another season of dross in coming if he signs. 

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Steve Worrall's not been confirmed anywhere else yet!!!

Rumour has him at Glasgow

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hamster00 said:

Yes it does

You're hard to please.

Oxford the top pairing in the league for heats 13 & 15, 3 solid second strips - two of which are young improving riders and 2 promising 2 point riders. Obviously they could have signed a higher averaged rider somewhere but the promotion have done little wrong so far.

I think they'll be near the top of the league. I'd prefer to build a team like that than go with 3 heat leaders and 4 reserves.

BWD would be a laughable signing!! Surely Plymouth wont be that stupid!! If they sign him they will be last by a long way 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

BWD would be a terrible signing imo. If he struggles, he wouldn't get an average till they raced 8 of their 16 league matches, season could be over before they have the opportunity to strengthen up.

Even then you'd expect the rest of the side to up their averages (teams should rise from 38 to 42) so even if he dropped 2 points, wouldn't mean they had 2 points available to replace him with.

I'd go for Matthew Wethers before BWD.

Matthew wethers. Give your head a wobble.

• Like 1