British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, eric i said:

Convenient for Plymouth with no number 1, I bet these 2 fixtures get pushed right back into the season and will hold up BSN series for everyone else.

What a daft comment. The biggest south west racemeeting of the spring in the west is  newton abbot easter saturday, it was abandoned a week before the meeting was due, completely waterlogged and they had another 2/3rds of inch rain monday. That plymouth track wont be raceable for at least a month looking at the state of it . You cant dictate the weather .

Edited by ruckerroo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Pinny said:

Your club is a shambles and ever since joining the middle tier , under Bowden and current management, there is always something going on thats not good. 

Those pictures of your track work summed up the level the clubs at. That JCB must be at least 40 years old?

Plymouth is a third tier club. My club Newport in the last 6 or 7 years of its existence was also just a third tier club operating beyond their means in the second tier. I didn't admit it at the time as , as a fan, you want your team operating in the highest league possible. But on such low crowds it should of been in the National / Conference league. 

Plymouth is a third tier club. Admit it and move on. Do you think the likes of Glasgow or Poole would struggle so much with replacing a heatleader? No chance. 

Maybe not but Plymouth is not owned by millionaires you clown.

Edited by Mike0310
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, eric i said:

Convenient for Plymouth with no number 1, I bet these 2 fixtures get pushed right back into the season and will hold up BSN series for everyone else.

Nothing like a conspiracy, and this is nothing like a conspiracy. Can`t we just accept that all the wet weather in and around Plymouth has beaten everyone.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2024 at 8:52 PM, Skidder1 said:

According to Plymouth owner Mark Philips in his p&p interview (available on fb etc), the club has til Wednesday - 72 hours before their first fixture -  to make a signing in order to take their place in the League!!!

If that's the same interview I saw he also claimed that Covatti could be back in May, which given his injuries are very optimistic to say the least. 

Second time I have booked a hotel in Plymouth over Easter only to have the speedway cancelled on me (Somerset match several years ago was the first)  Disappointed as, in order to be free to attend I had to miss my own team's first two away meetings and it is unlikely I'll be able to get along again this year, owing to other prearranged commitments.  That said with alleged knowledge of all the factors (will shy from saying excuses) leading to the postponements, any criticism would be that a far earlier decision could and should have been made.It could also have avoided all the conspiracy theories too. Now it has I look forward to watching Ivybridge v Dartmouth that evening instead as no sense in moaning and moping around, and allowing a few Devon belles to have the pleasure of my company later on. I still have the hotel room ladies.  :) 

I wish Mark Phillips  all the best, as he is clearly dedicated to the cause, but maybe a more empathetic approach to press releases should be looked into.  

59 minutes ago, screm said:

If that's the same interview I saw he also claimed that Covatti could be back in May, which given his injuries are very optimistic to say the least. 

It was also stated either by Mark Philips or Gary May in interview that Covattis injuries were not in plaster casts!!!

Posted (edited)

So today is the day that Plymouth have to sign a 7th rider to be allowed into the league. I’m assuming that even if it comes to it then they would sign a NL 2 pointer and then bring Nico back in once fully fit or a stronger rider if one became available 

Edited by Marky_Mark

5 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

So today is the day that Plymouth have to sign a 7th rider 

Plymouth have now cancelled their first 2 meetings.   They don't race until 10 April now, so at least that gives them another 10 days or so breathing space to find a new rider.

2 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Plymouth have now cancelled their first 2 meetings.   They don't race until 10 April now, so at least that gives them another 10 days or so breathing space to find a new rider.

No I’m not talking about them needing enough riders if they were riding Saturday. Mark Phillips has stated that the league have given them a deadline of today to declare a full team to be accepted into the league 

1 minute ago, Marky_Mark said:

No I’m not talking about them needing enough riders if they were riding Saturday. Mark Phillips has stated that the league have given them a deadline of today to declare a full team to be accepted into the league 

But like I said   Saturday's meeting is now postponed.

2 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

The only deadline is that the clubs have to log their team on the SCB portal 3 days before a meeting, hence him mentioning Wednesday. This is what he meant

2 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

But like I said   Saturday's meeting is now postponed.

I’m not sure how that makes a difference, if today is the deadline then today is the deadline?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Marksman said:

The only deadline is that the clubs have to log their team on the SCB portal 3 days before a meeting, hence him mentioning Wednesday. This is what he meant

Ah thank you for the clarification, I’d misinterpreted that it was the league deadline today, makes more sense now why the postponement has given them more time.  

Only thing is he did specifically say to allow them to enter the league? Sounded more than just the pre meeting declaration 

Edited by Marky_Mark

2 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

I’m not sure how that makes a difference, if today is the deadline then today is the deadline?

Because the meeting has been postponed!!!!!

They have to declare the team 72 hours before a fixture.   That would have been 7pm tonight, but the meeting has been postponed.   It's now a deadline of 7.30pm on 7 April

5 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

Deadlines can be moved, there`s no way at all that they wont be in the Championship