British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2024

Posted (edited)

Yes apologies for the confusion, his exact words were “We have until Wednesday to find a 7th rider to be able to enter into the league” so I had no idea the deadline was connected to Saturdays postponed meeting 

Edited by Marky_Mark

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

It was also stated either by Mark Philips or Gary May in interview that Covattis injuries were not in plaster casts!!!

A lot of fractures don't get plaster casts nowadays. That's why you see airboots etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Maybe not but Plymouth is not owned by millionaires you clown.

Doesn't Steve "cobra" luxton have some sort of ownership with Plymouth? Hence the gladiator name, and I'm pretty sure he's probably a millionaire? Singular I know but there's a few wealthy people with connections to Plymouth speedway. 

The thing about the team needing seven riders has to be for the meeting that is cancelled. According to the BSPL website they have seven declared riders but one of them is injured. I can't remember a team being thrown out of the league because a rider has suffered an injury in 65 years of following the sport.

10 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

The thing about the team needing seven riders has to be for the meeting that is cancelled. According to the BSPL website they have seven declared riders but one of them is injured. I can't remember a team being thrown out of the league because a rider has suffered an injury in 65 years of following the sport.

Plymouth won`t be thrown out of the league.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, screm said:

Plymouth won`t be thrown out of the league.

Totally agree.

17 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Surely it'd be in "the best interests of the sport" to allow Plymouth a 75% guest? 

100%...

And even a 100%+ guest like you have during the season could be used..

Bomber will no doubt ride, once again, for half the teams in the country, and Scott will make hay whilst the TV hasn't started, so it really doesn't matter to the credibility of the league if Plymouth use a decent guest...

Whichever team wins either of the leagues won't resonate outside maybe 3000 to 5000 or so followers, many of whom hardly attending regularly, if they do at all.. 

And the mainstream sports media certainly won't disect Speedways "unusual" operating model and make comment... 

Therefore. Ensuring clubs like Plymouth and Birmingham survive and grow, has a far more positive impact on the sport than any of the others winning a title ever will...

There will no doubt be the usual myriad of "make it up as you go along" decisions during the season, (although I believe Bomber cannot help any team reach a final then help beat them when they get there this year)..:D

They make up so many rules to try and ensure competitive meetings, so one more won't matter...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I see Oxford have cancelled tonight's practice. Any conspiracy theories about that, or is it just Plymouth who aren't allowed bad weather I wonder?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

What a daft comment. The biggest south west racemeeting of the spring in the west is  newton abbot easter saturday, it was abandoned a week before the meeting was due, completely waterlogged and they had another 2/3rds of inch rain monday. That plymouth track wont be raceable for at least a month looking at the state of it . You cant dictate the weather .

4 hours ago, screm said:

Nothing like a conspiracy, and this is nothing like a conspiracy. Can`t we just accept that all the wet weather in and around Plymouth has beaten everyone.

I think its true to say its convenient for Plymouth, going into these home meetings with no facility for your number 1 rider will almost certainly result in 2 home defeats and a terrible way to start the season from a business point of view. I wasn't suggesting Plymouth were making excuses with their track,  the plymouth track can't take much water at the best of times, never mind after the winter work.

Can Amy fixtures be moved for Bsn ones to be completed is their a set deadline for the group fixtures.

3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I can't see any 2024 team declarations on the BSPL website. Have you got a link?

7 hours ago, Pinny said:

Those pictures of your track work summed up the level the clubs at. That JCB must be at least 40 years old?

What a weird observation. Not sure I'd judge a club by the age of a machine being used to do the track.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I don't think it's so much about Plymouth being a 3rd tier club, more a case of the likes of Glasgow and Poole being top tier clubs.

The reality is you're always going to get 'minnows' in every league, clubs that punch above their weight and on the flip side clubs that are fallen giants, that a bigger fishes in smaller ponds.

I fully accept Plymouth in the past has been poorly run and I'm not a massive fan of the current promotion, but the facilities today are chalk and cheese from what they were in the past. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I see Oxford have cancelled tonight's practice. Any conspiracy theories about that, or is it just Plymouth who aren't allowed bad weather I wonder?

Cancelling a practice after doing a few meetings already is totally different to cancelling the first 2 fixtures 

SCB now grant a 28-day guest facility to Plymouth to cover Covatti's absence,

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

SCB now grant a 28-day guest facility to Plymouth to cover Covatti's absence,

Good job its not Scunthorpe who are in Plymouths situation as there would be a few accusing Godfrey of corruption.