British Speedway Forum
SilentLurker

Glasgow Tigers 2024

Steve Worrall confirmed.

Gonna be weird next season with Steve in red and Tom in blue! 

Edited by lisa-colette

I thought they'd leave Steve to last, but I guess it doesn't matter when we all seem to know the team!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Did you see him ride for Birmingham last season?

How he rode for Birmingham last year is irrelevant. Claus Vissing was shocking for Birmingham in 2022 and this year was excellent for us. Lee Complin's signing was criticised by many yet in the play-offs his points and aggressive riding were crucial in us reaching and winning the league title. Glasgow know how to treat their riders and provide them with an excellent track to allow them to show their skills. The aim this year must be to win all our home meetings and then reach the play-offs. Paul will help us do just that.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Steve Worrall confirmed.

Gonna be weird next season with Steve in red and Tom in blue! 

Steve will be in white and Tom in red :rofl:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Steve will be in white and Tom in red :rofl:

Wow, watch out Peter Kay, hilarious.

50 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Thought you would like it 

52 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Your on the wrong thread, this is the Glasgow one 

Any opinions on the Tigers moving up into the top league next season? Birmingham and Oxford have done it this year and it's not like Edinburgh bring over enough fans for those 3 derby meetings per year to be missed from a financial perspective so I'd really like to see a change of setting next season especially with fewer of the better riders like Basso able to be accommodated in this league even if he wanted to thanks to the new lower points limit which has been set at a measly 38.

Bit of a controversial opinion but I just wondered what other people's thoughts on this are. As we've seen from international meetings (especially the GP qualifier) the track would be very condusive to elite riders riding it so the racing would be even better than it already is.

• Like 1

Basso and Douglas seem to be the only riders missing next season. Tarasenko was always just a short term rental. While supporters may want it, would they turn out in sufficient numbers on Mondays and Thursdays to make it viable? 

• Thanks 1

From a leicester fan don't fix what isn't broken. We moved up and the crowds have slightly dropped and I can't say the racing is any better. It's good seeing top notch riders but there isn't much else I would shout about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the biggest issue behind moving up to the PL is racenight.  I think Fridays nights work well for a Glasgow crowd with the odd off night when a rescheduled meeting needs run 

Edited by snapper
  • Like 2

James Pearson now announced, Tigers have a full team

• Like 1

Glasgow Friday night race night is set in stone & works well together with Championship level running costs is a no brainier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is there a reason the Tigers don't pass the names pn to the British Speedway Press Office?  Its not as if people don't know who they have signed.

3 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Any opinions on the Tigers moving up into the top league next season? Birmingham and Oxford have done it this year and it's not like Edinburgh bring over enough fans for those 3 derby meetings per year to be missed from a financial perspective so I'd really like to see a change of setting next season especially with fewer of the better riders like Basso able to be accommodated in this league even if he wanted to thanks to the new lower points limit which has been set at a measly 38.

Bit of a controversial opinion but I just wondered what other people's thoughts on this are. As we've seen from international meetings (especially the GP qualifier) the track would be very condusive to elite riders riding it so the racing would be even better than it already is.

I made a podcast with Peter Facenna and in it he answers this very question..

https://pod.fo/e/1f7be0

But in a nutshell, mainly race night. The numbers would probably drop and the lure of top riders wouldn't balance it out especially as said riders would want a lot more money for the privilege. So less fans, and bigger expense, and they don't think that saying Tai Woffinden is in town would really add to it enough. So it's purely a business decision, but have listen to the interview and Peter explains it very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1