British Speedway Forum
chunky

Who COULD Have Been a Major Force in World Speedway?

As he didn't prioritise it, Simon Wigg never reached the individual heights in speedway that his early years promised. 

2 hours ago, frigbo said:

As he didn't prioritise it, Simon Wigg never reached the individual heights in speedway that his early years promised. 

Funny... As you mentioned it, I just decided to check his figures. It does seem that after 1989, he just went backwards. Not something I'd ever thought of before...

2 hours ago, frigbo said:

But he was 5 times world long track champion, that may have been the problem. Not all could do both speedway and long track at the very top level. Seems like Simon Wigg was one of them. Get hold of his book if you can, a very good read.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

But he was 5 times world long track champion, that may have been the problem. Not all could do both speedway and long track at the very top level. Seems like Simon Wigg was one of them. Get hold of his book if you can, a very good read.

Wiggy  probably made more money  on  L/track riding in Europe on grasstrack  as well ,think the same can be said for Kelvin Tatum a bad injury early on  plus racing L/track effected his S/way  career but not his bank balance I suspect .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

I think Toni Kasper Jr would have achieved more if he had had more than 1 1/2 seasons in the British League

I first saw Toni ride for Hackney at Swindon during his first season here and looked very impressive.

Alas no longer with us.

3 hours ago, frigbo said:

His priorties were Grasstrack and Longtrack....should have achieved more in speedway (altough his record was impressive) if he had applied more in my opinion. I saw him during his hey-day riding for the "Cheetahs" and he proved to be both inspirational and frustrating at times. Hans always said that Wiggy was forever tinkering with his bikes even when they were going well which cost him points.

Given that the OP asked for those who could have been greats if they had committed to ride in Britain, I'll throw in Chris Watson who confined himself more to other motor cycle disciplines back in Aussie. In more recent times Rune Holta reached 4th in the World afaik, but could he have took it a stage further with UK experience?

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, salty said:

Given that the OP asked for those who could have been greats if they had committed to ride in Britain, I'll throw in Chris Watson who confined himself more to other motor cycle disciplines back in Aussie. In more recent times Rune Holta reached 4th in the World afaik, but could he have took it a stage further with UK experience?

I'd thought about Holta, but good call with Chris Watson.

I was just thinking that this thread had developed into a discussion about DJ, and how he could have been a force... :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, salty said:

Tommy Nilsson might well be another..

Or Mikael Blixt

36 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Or Mikael Blixt

I always wondered why Blixt never fulfilled his early promise, but I'm pleased you mentioned Nilsson. I just checked, and didn't realize he was only 17 when he rode for Hackney. He had a great first year, and had he stuck around for a bit longer, who knows?

I think Egon made so much money on the Continent with little of the hassle that came with British speedway, it wasn't worth it for him . And then he had the side show of his singing career and concerts. Which he usually put on as part of the long track weekend as well . Where it was and to some extent still is a weekend event with people camping out at the track

• Like 2

Torbjorn Harrysson, if nor for the crash in the 1969 World Final?

Dag Lovaas. He was so good but seemed to just lose interest and retired at the end of 1976.

He was almost unbeatable in the wet. If he'd been in the 1977 World Final he might well have won it with conditions how they were.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chunky said:

I'd thought about Holta, but good call with Chris Watson.

I was just thinking that this thread had developed into a discussion about DJ, and how he could have been a force... :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, frigbo said:

Or Mikael Blixt

Yep. I think you guys are right. It's less about those who didn't quite win the big ones and more those, who never really 100% went for it, despite their obvious ability.

Staying with Swedes, I'd pick out Erik Stenlund. Obviously a highly accomplished motorcyclist, winning the World Ice Speedway in Moscow is some achievement, plus also good enough to finish 4th in the World Long Track and be Swedish Champion in speedway. If he'd focussed purely on speedway and came to Britain for more than just some cameo appearances, he could have been a real force. I would have liked to have seen plenty more of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnBBUn3pbf4

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Dag Lovaas. He was so good but seemed to just lose interest and retired at the end of 1976.

He was almost unbeatable in the wet. If he'd been in the 1977 World Final he might well have won it with conditions how they were.

Well, he came to the UK when he was 19, and stayed for 7 years, so I'm not sure he is a suitable answer to the original question...