British Speedway Forum
chunky

Who COULD Have Been a Major Force in World Speedway?

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Well, he came to the UK when he was 19, and stayed for 7 years, so I'm not sure he is a suitable answer to the original question...

Having re-read the original question, you could have a point. But, in my defence, it was a better answer than Dave Jessup.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Having re-read the original question, you could have a point. But, in my defence, it was a better answer than Dave Jessup.

I agree with you there!

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Dag Lovaas. He was so good but seemed to just lose interest and retired at the end of 1976.

He was almost unbeatable in the wet. If he'd been in the 1977 World Final he might well have won it with conditions how they were.

Remember Dag's sublime 15 point maximum in absymal conditions during Mike Keen's Testimonial Meeting at Swindon in 1976.

Dag achieved his desired move to Cowley in 1975 and then had it taken from him due to the enforced move of the "Rebels" to Wood Lane where he never really settled. He remained faithful to the JAP engine which didn't really suit the wide open spaces at White City.

21 hours ago, chunky said:

I'd thought about Holta, but good call with Chris Watson.

I was just thinking that this thread had developed into a discussion about DJ, and how he could have been a force... :rolleyes:

Sorry just went along with the thread title.

34 minutes ago, Deano said:

Sorry just went along with the thread title.

Thing is, I know he never won a World Title (individual, anyway), but i just feel it's a bit of a stretch claiming that he wasn't a "major force". I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me...

Riders who excelled at long track have been mentioned in previous posts and one of these was Finnish rider, Timo Laine. As far as I can see, he never rode for a British speedway team but I seem to remember him riding at New Cross in a Speedway Internationale qualifying round in the early 60's  - Norbold can probably confirm that.

Laine won the gold medal at the European Longtrack Championship in the 1961 Individual Long Track European Championship. In addition, he won the Nordic Longtrack Championship three times (1964, 1965, 1966) and the Finish Longtrack Championship seven times (1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1972).

• Like 1

P.S. I subsequently found this on a previous thread about the history of the Internationale, confirming that qualifying rounds were indeed held when the event was first held in 1961:

"The New Cross meeting was a poor one for Timo Laine of Finland. Previous to the round at New Cross, he had been racing in Holland and somewhere along the way his bikes went missing and he had to ride on borrowed equipment - I think he used a bike belonging to Jim Chalkley (but not certain about that)."

Edited by Split

1 hour ago, Split said:

Riders who excelled at long track have been mentioned in previous posts and one of these was Finnish rider, Timo Laine. As far as I can see, he never rode for a British speedway team but I seem to remember him riding at New Cross in a Speedway Internationale qualifying round in the early 60's  - Norbold can probably confirm that.

Yes, I certainly can. I was at the meeting.

Wieslaw Jagus..

Rode for several years at the very top echelons of Poland's averages in Div 1..

Yet, never really made the transition to Global level..

Kolodziej, a simlar story I would say..

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Wieslaw Jagus..

I like Jan Kolodzeij style, about the right size for a speedway rider too. He is fast, a good gater, but too cautious. Bit like Artem Laguta and to a lesser extent, Leon Madsen.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, mikebv said:

Wieslaw Jagus..

Stefan Kwoczala was Polish champion in 1959 and seventh in the World Final the following year. He rode for Leicester that year but was only allowed one season of racing in Britain and returned to ride in the Polish domestic league in 1961. Sadly, he suffered serious head injuries in a track crash in May of that year which effectively ended his career. Who knows what he might otherwise have achieved.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Split said:

Stefan Kwoczala was Polish champion in 1959 and seventh in the World Final the following year. He rode for Leicester that year but was only allowed one season of racing in Britain and returned to ride in the Polish domestic league in 1961. Sadly, he suffered serious head injuries in a track crash in May of that year which effectively ended his career. Who knows what he might otherwise have achieved.

Yes, I agree. I saw him. couple of times in 1960 and thought he looked really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Split said:

He certainly looked a fine prospect. In the closing weeks of the 1960 season his UK scores in consecutive meetings (four at Leicester, four away) were 14 (from 5 rides), 15 (5), 14 (5), 14 (5), 14+1 (6), 13+2 (6), 15 (5), 15 (5). CMA 10.86.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, I agree. I saw him. couple of times in 1960 and thought he looked really good.

While he stood out in particular, what about any of those other Poles of that era? Pawel Waloszek, Henryk Zyto, and Marian Kaiser? Zyto showed some great form, including winning the Midland Riders Championship, and Waloszek twice finished in the Top 5 of the World Final.

Who knows what they may have achieved with an extended spell in Britain?

4 hours ago, chunky said:

While he stood out in particular, what about any of those other Poles of that era? Pawel Waloszek, Henryk Zyto, and Marian Kaiser? Zyto showed some great form, including winning the Midland Riders Championship, and Waloszek twice finished in the Top 5 of the World Final.

Who knows what they may have achieved with an extended spell in Britain?

Yes, indeed. All of them.