British Speedway Forum
Midget

Workington 2024

On 10/22/2023 at 5:30 PM, Skidder1 said:

Many regular fans don't realise the actual costs to put a meeting on!:rolleyes:

Tbh, I don't think that's relevant. Fans need to decide if they think the price is value for money. If they don't think it is & stop attending, it won't matter if the promotion knows more than the fans i.e how much it costs to put meetings on.

I'll use Justin Sedgmen as an example, I've seen interviews, where he explains how expensive Speedway is, with tuning, travel expenses etc as a reason for riders deserving more money. But that's not how a business works - a promotion can only pay out, what comes in (unless they are willing to lose money). 

If clubs only get 500 attending matches, the riders wages should be based on this income (plus sponsorship), riders can't just demand more money to pay for the very best equipment!

• Like 3

Quite a lot of riders have good sponsors large and small all add up, these are used to cover machinery costs, travel money is paid by the promotion home and away, so points money is the riders pay, if you are the better rider scoring 8 - 10 points they could have a pay packet well  of over £1000 a meeting, twice a week 25 meetings is 25k or more in just over 6 months, I have to work 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year for that figure. Yes the young riders have to start at the bottom on less money, but how many are full time speedway riders ?? Not having a go at the riders, it's a dangerous sport  but they have to be reasonable when talking to clubs, just because this is in the comets section it applies to all speedway clubs. Thoughts anyone ?

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Tbh, I don't think that's relevant. Fans need to decide if they think the price is value for money. If they don't think it is & stop attending, it won't matter if the promotion knows more than the fans i.e how much it costs to put meetings on.

I'll use Justin Sedgmen as an example, I've seen interviews, where he explains how expensive Speedway is, with tuning, travel expenses etc as a reason for riders deserving more money. But that's not how a business works - a promotion can only pay out, what comes in (unless they are willing to lose money). 

If clubs only get 500 attending matches, the riders wages should be based on this income (plus sponsorship), riders can't just demand more money to pay for the very best equipment!

Riders can "demand" what they want, but the promoters don't have to pay it, if they feel that the "demand" is excessive. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StevePark said:

Riders can "demand" what they want, but the promoters don't have to pay it, if they feel that the "demand" is excessive. 

This 100%

Blaming the riders for asking for too much and then being paid it, is like blaming McDonald's for why you are fat

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neila said:

Might be a secret :D

Now that would be a shame haha

17 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Craig Cook been practicing at Workington today it’s on his social media with the caption “ I'm not done yet “ could there be an emotional return to Cumbria as there number 1 next season?

Craig Cook would make an ideal number one for Workington. He is local, a solid rider, certainly at Championship level, and would certainly prefer the Workington track to the tight turns of Edinburgh. Good luck to him if he chooses to continue his career in the sport.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Neila said:

Quite a lot of riders have good sponsors large and small all add up, these are used to cover machinery costs, travel money is paid by the promotion home and away, so points money is the riders pay, if you are the better rider scoring 8 - 10 points they could have a pay packet well  of over £1000 a meeting, twice a week 25 meetings is 25k or more in just over 6 months, I have to work 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year for that figure. Yes the young riders have to start at the bottom on less money, but how many are full time speedway riders ?? Not having a go at the riders, it's a dangerous sport  but they have to be reasonable when talking to clubs, just because this is in the comets section it applies to all speedway clubs. Thoughts anyone ?

YOU......WORK ???   You have more holidays than Thomson TUI  !!  ;)

30 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Craig Cook would make an ideal number one for Workington. He is local, a solid rider, certainly at Championship level, and would certainly prefer the Workington track to the tight turns of Edinburgh. Good luck to him if he chooses to continue his career in the sport.

There you go again…..how in God’s name do you know he’d prefer the Workington track?  He’s been a master at Armadale for years. You just open your mouth and let it flow, don’t you?

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Looking forward to meeting you at worky next year mr shovler when the mighty Poole come to town, but you will need a road map to find a place this far north if you come up, but as your quote you must av been up a few times if you know the track and which riders can ride the place :blink:

37 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Got to work to get cash for me holidays :drink:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

There you go again…..how in God’s name do you know he’d prefer the Workington track?  He’s been a master at Armadale for years. You just open your mouth and let it flow, don’t you?

As i say parody of a know it all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neila said:

Looking forward to meeting you at worky next year mr shovler when the mighty Poole come to town, but you will need a road map to find a place this far north if you come up, but as your quote you must av been up a few times if you know the track and which riders can ride the place :blink:

Going by the latest rumours, we won't be up there 

19 hours ago, Neila said:

You’re not putting your life on the line, £1000 a week isn’t that much money, especially once taxed etc.. until anyone tells me what a generic Speedway riders contract looks like.. then it’s all conjecture, riders can also get dropped at a moments notice.. unlike most other jobs. I know what a footballer’s contract is largely consisted of, because it’s an open sport, helping it to appeal to a broader audience. A footballer could well be/and is on a basic salary over a period of time, appearance bonuses, win bonuses, image rights, cup/league bonuses, goal bonuses, loyalty bonuses, likely to get a bonus if represents their country (if they haven’t already) individual targets set by the club.. clauses to allow personal appearances on radio/tv etc.. and clauses inserted to do work in the local community and so forth…. 

7 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

he even has them during the speedway season, that's bordering on sacrilege .

1 hour ago, Littleze said:

You’re not putting your life on the line, £1000 a week isn’t that much money, especially once taxed etc.. until anyone tells me what a generic Speedway riders contract looks like.. then it’s all conjecture, riders can also get dropped at a moments notice.. unlike most other jobs. I know what a footballer’s contract is largely consisted of, because it’s an open sport, helping it to appeal to a broader audience. A footballer could well be/and is on a basic salary over a period of time, appearance bonuses, win bonuses, image rights, cup/league bonuses, goal bonuses, loyalty bonuses, likely to get a bonus if represents their country (if they haven’t already) individual targets set by the club.. clauses to allow personal appearances on radio/tv etc.. and clauses inserted to do work in the local community and so forth…. 

You don’t have to be speedway rider though, it is a sport.