British Speedway Forum
Bojangles

Oxford Cheetahs 2024

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Just curious, would Oxford have been allowed to not enter the KOC in both leagues, cutting out a few fixtures?

3 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Hopefully not. It devalues that competition if teams are picking and choosing whether they enter it or not. 

I'd normally agree with that, but would have been linient towards Oxford as they are racing in 3 leagues. Plus, as others have said clubs have previously chosen not to compete in the NLKOC.

But if a team was only racing in one league, wouldn't allow them not to enter the KOC.

14 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'd normally agree with that, but would have been linient towards Oxford as they are racing in 3 leagues. Plus, as others have said clubs have previously chosen not to compete in the NLKOC.

But if a team was only racing in one league, wouldn't allow them not to enter the KOC.

It sets a bad precedent. Why should they get a pass because they’ve potentially bitten off more than they can chew by signing up for all the leagues. Teams should want to compete in and win the KO Cup, the second it becomes optional it devalues it for everyone. 

19 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Where’s the name Spires been plucked from? Sounds like a load of churches rather than a rip-roaring motorcycle sport. 

I do wish they'd gone with The Rebels if they're not using Cheetahs for the top team.

I looked it up and there was even an Oxford Rebellion in 1596. The flag was the flag of Mercia - a yellow cross on a blue background. Perfect for a speedway logo if the confederate flag is deemed unsuitable.

I don't know why - maybe just because they were called that when I starte4d going - but I think I'd be more likely to be inspired to go if it was Oxford Rebels.

Oxford Spires sound like an NDL nickname (but better than Silver Machine!).

Come on Oxford. It's not too late. Oxford "Rebels". You know it makes sense!

• Like 4

A quick genuine question for all Oxford fans on here.  How many of you are intending to watch all three teams in all three leagues in 2024?

• Like 3

Weekly Speedway is a good reason for 3 leagues but a couple of rain offs and they will be in trouble with re - staging  given riders availability  these days.Bold Move.IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

A quick genuine question for all Oxford fans on here.  How many of you are intending to watch all three teams in all three leagues in 2024?

I'm currently planning to go to all meetings of all three teams but I live 50 miles away now so it simply might not be feasible. Cheetahs will probably still be my primary choice in the Championship, followed by Spires and then Chargers will have to miss out if I struggle to get to all of them.

Season ticket options might also play a part. I'm hoping there will be season tickets available for individual leagues this year, as opposed to all meetings in one bundle like last year.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

I've only missed a couple of meetings home and away for both teams since our return, will make every home match for all 3 teams. My away trips will be more limited now thou, only have some many days off from work for a start!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StevePark said:

Planning to watch all 3 but will miss a couple in the summer for family holiday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any whispers about prospective riders for The Monarchs next season?

29 minutes ago, Colinspeedway said:

Have I missed the official Nicholls announcement? He's a confirmed Cheetah on the British Speedway website 

He said so himself, confirmed at the end of season do as well. No official announcement from the club that I've seen.

1 hour ago, Hilly said:

He said so himself, confirmed at the end of season do as well. No official announcement from the club that I've seen.

I haven’t seen any official communication about it either, although they did retweet a tweet from Nicholls saying he was riding for the Cheetahs in 2024.

11 hours ago, Bojangles said:

I haven’t seen any official communication about it either, although they did retweet a tweet from Nicholls saying he was riding for the Cheetahs in 2024.

Speedway Star ran it last week.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Fozzie4388 said:

It'll be the same team that finished the season last year for Oxford apart from Killeen for Kerr.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:12 AM, szkocjasid said:

That would come in at 36.96, they're not going to pick a team over a point below the limit!

Are you still sure about this?