British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

I think it's a very bold decision given the number of fixtures that need to be run. However it is an idea that nobody has the guts to try but could work.

British Speedway's inability to ensure that all teams end up completing the same number of fixtures before the cut off is poor, the number of rain off and number of fixtures that end up being crammed into the end of the year or becoming meaningless is poor.

However i also think that it's achievable for Oxford to run that number of fixtures, if they are run professionally and they have an approach of getting meetings on rather than calling meetings off.

It is understandable to see comments saying that it is going to be hard to see fans spending that amount of money to support 2 teams on a week to week basis because of the cost of admission prices.

However every year you see a significant proportion of Speedway fans saying that they want a regular weekly meeting because speedway should be every week and that a Stadium should be in use.

I think it's a reality that fans don't travel as much as they used to, following a Team Home and Away in really large numbers is a reality for Speedway Fans anymore. 

However watching attendances at Newport dwindle and subsequently becoming an irregular fan at Swindon and Somerset also gave me a much more realistic perspective around attendances.

When an attendance figure is mentioned regarding a Break Even point i do wonder what that point would realistically be, if clubs didn't have other income streams

Attendance wise a lot of tracks struggle when the weather is poor and other events are on, do well during the summer months and school holidays, and there is a benefit to successfully hosting major meetings are on e.g. Pairs/Fours/Rider Championships.

And it's always noticeable during Playoffs that attendances are up

However, I think Speedway's viability is entirely contingent on other income sources whether that be Sponsorship, TV Revenue, revenue generated from other businesses or owners who bankroll the sport.

That being said, regarding Oxford. They have had good crowds by all accounts, they have been run professionally.

Oxford has a sizeable population & people support successful teams. 

Most tracks have also seen the benefit of Emil joining Ipswich, which did have an impact in increased attendances. It's helped show that more Premiership clubs from a Club/Rider perspective are being run more professionally, and i think that has played a large part in other riders wanting to return to racing in Britain.

The other thing with attracting more top level riders back. It has the potential to appeal to more casual fans, TV fans, Fans of defunct Tracks.

I applaud Oxford for having the guts to try something different.

• Like 5

I'd certainly be using Jenkins as the RS. Masters could be the only other doubling up Cheetah, unless Dillon Ruml is Champ HL & Prem reserve.

7 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Oxford Spires? Where has that come from? in view of the fan demograph, would have thought the ‘Rebels’ name would have been resurrected. Nostalgia….It’s not what it used to be.

I'm not keen on "Spires" like you suggest a move back to "Rebels" would be more relatable. Other options could be "Dons" after the teaching staff at the University or even "Blues" as the boat crew are called Even use the Ox from Oxford & be "Bulls". Then as there are already "Chargers" why not " Lightning". I think there are many better options that will have more meaning to the Oxford fans.

While there is a lot of talk about gambles financially, I guess the bit we do not know is what the financial incentive has been for Oxford and Birmingham to go into the top flight and prop it up. Without them it would probably be dead. I suspect there are some decent benefits for the move which may protect them slightly

4 minutes ago, Chris Brown said:

While there is a lot of talk about gambles financially, I guess the bit we do not know is what the financial incentive has been for Oxford and Birmingham to go into the top flight and prop it up. Without them it would probably be dead. I suspect there are some decent benefits for the move which may protect them slightly

Word on the street has been that due to an increase in greyhound racing at Perry Barr brim were only going to be able to run speedway on Mondays next year so their incentive is the top league protected nights are Mondays and thursdays.

in oxfords case didn’t they want to go straight into the top league when they returned and there’s some rule about having to start in the lower league first and prove viability of a new team at a lower running cost or something 

50 minutes ago, Technik said:

I'm not keen on "Spires" like you suggest a move back to "Rebels" would be more relatable. Other options could be "Dons" after the teaching staff at the University or even "Blues" as the boat crew are called Even use the Ox from Oxford & be "Bulls". Then as there are already "Chargers" why not " Lightning". I think there are many better options that will have more meaning to the Oxford fans.

I also wish they were using "Rebels" again. I think they are missing an oportunity there. The return of the Rebels would have been a good idea and meant something to many Oxford supporters.

And what precisely would we be rebelling against?

Remember also. Oxfords owner is one of, if not THE richest bookmaker in UK. Got money to burn 

2 hours ago, Technik said:

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I also wish they were using "Rebels" again. I think they are missing an oportunity there. The return of the Rebels would have been a good idea and meant something to many Oxford supporters.

Didn't Somerset have to drop 'Rebels' for "political correctness" reasons? 

I think team composition is going to be so important and something they need to get right. If you want the fans to support all the teams, it's more difficult when half of your championship team, next week are riding against you in the Premiership. They need as many as possible riding in particularly both top teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technik said:

Name of the Birmingham junior team.

6 minutes ago, wtf said:

I think team composition is going to be so important and something they need to get right. If you want the fans to support all the teams, it's more difficult when half of your championship team, next week are riding against you in the Premiership. They need as many as possible riding in particularly both top teams.

That's a good point. But how many of them have already signed elsewhere? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That's a good point. But how many of them have already signed elsewhere? 

exactly. could be tricky, we'll see.

23 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Didn't Somerset have to drop 'Rebels' for "political correctness" reasons? 

No, they didn’t.

They replaced their original logo of the confederate flag with the insignia of the county of Somerset, but were still called the Rebels.

• Like 2