British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Oxford Spires 2024

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Let's hope he doesn't shaft anyone, we'd rather see him in full flight. I'm sure once he throws his leg over his bike for the first time he'll be well set. Nobody will be board :D

Bullseye!!!

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Well said that man, perhaps Chicken Little will give an assessment of the other sides for fairness

More than happy too! 
Sheffield are top heavy with big hitters at home that don’t do enough away. Getting Holder back after the performance in the play off at Ipswich is crazy. Would have kept Tobi personally and built around him. 

Belle Vue kept a decent core and Bewley needs to get back to his best over here. Mountain leaves them with a poor reserve pairing.

Ipswich have strengthened with Ellis for Riss, thomas is a good signing and they could go one better than last year now Rew has had a full season.

Kings Lynn will be the dark horses for me. Bags of potential with some experience to boot. 

leicester are built very much like wolves last year but with a proper no1 in Fricke, will do reasonably well at home but take some hidings away

brum…well, we’ll see how they finish

Edit-Jenkins at Ipswich, not Thomas!

Edited by DJC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DJC said:

More than happy too! 
Sheffield are top heavy with big hitters at home that don’t do enough away. Getting Holder back after the performance in the play off at Ipswich is crazy. Would have kept Tobi personally and built around him. 

Belle Vue kept a decent core and Bewley needs to get back to his best over here. Mountain leaves them with a poor reserve pairing.

Ipswich have strengthened with Ellis for Riss, Thomas is a good signing and they could go one better than last year now Rew has had a full season.

Kings Lynn will be the dark horses for me. Bags of potential with some experience to boot. 

leicester are built very much like wolves last year but with a proper no1 in Fricke, will do reasonably well at home but take some hidings away

brum…well, we’ll see how they finish

Thomas ???

21 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Thomas ???

Jenkins. Always get them mixed up

I appreciate this question has probably been asked somewhere in the last 24 pages but... What is Maciej's average next year? Presumably he's been given a reduction for whatever reason (or the team won't fit) but what is his average? Thanks.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, DJC said:

Personally don't think they'll do well, the type of team that on paper looks great but cracks all over when you look at them individually,

Magic, coming off the back of one of his worst season to date...which has been coming for a while. He's a spent force, will do well to get a higher average than C Holder. 

Harris at 42 can only be going one way as he showed at Peterborough towards the end of last year. Will have the odd great meeting but as always will take 2 months to get the set up right! 

Klindt, great trapper but coming off a broken neck and notoriously inconsistent before that.

Tungate, who knows which one will turn up each week. 

Wright, horrific crash and injuries last year, will take him too long to get going. 

Kerr, one of the best reserves in the league with the Poles but will swap with Wright after the first set of averages. 

Boughen, only his second full season in the sport. Will cause a few upsets along the way but very much a development year for him.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, but it seems to me you've listed the absolute worse case scenario possible with every rider & declared that's what will happen!

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Of course everyone has their own opinion, but it seems to me you've listed the absolute worse case scenario possible with every rider & declared that's what will happen!

If they can all come good at the same time it isn't a bad side but it will take a few too long to get going. Not sure anything I said isn't true though. 

Maybe being harsh on Magic and Wright's ability to come back from that crash but more than happy to be proved wrong!

7 hours ago, DJC said:

If they can all come good at the same time it isn't a bad side but it will take a few too long to get going. Not sure anything I said isn't true though. 

Maybe being harsh on Magic and Wright's ability to come back from that crash but more than happy to be proved wrong!

Wright has come back from worse, he is an exciting rider and with that comes a lot of risk. Overall they will be do well I think. Definitely worth watching, Magic, Wright, Harris, Tungate plenty of exciting racing with that lot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Wright has come back from worse, he is an exciting rider and with that comes a lot of risk. Overall they will be do well I think. Definitely worth watching, Magic, Wright, Harris, Tungate plenty of exciting racing with that lot.

I don’t think you’ll find Tungate particularly exciting. Harris & Wright both entertainer’s. The jury is open on Magic.

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I don’t think you’ll find Tungate particularly exciting. Harris & Wright both entertainer’s. The jury is open on Magic.

If you say so, I am not an Oxford fan but I might be tempted to see this team, looks exciting to me.

On 1/15/2024 at 7:59 PM, foreverblue said:

They may get race winners but not away wins.

They will loads of Away wins..When they do are be  make sure to remind you.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:52 PM, foreverblue said:

Interesting to hear the assessments made good and bad of the Oxford Spires. Can Magic recapture his form (When JD signed for Ippo there were a few of their fans who said he was finished would they say that now),how long will it take Bomber get dialled in (I don’t remember him struggling around sandy lane across the last 2 seasons) and so on . While they’re maybe a few doubts I know that we are in for an exciting season across all three leagues and I can’t wait.                                    

• Like 2

11 hours ago, orion said:

They will loads of Away wins..When they do are be  make sure to remind you.

You are welcome to as there will not be loads of away wins, some but not loads.

5 hours ago, Toady said:

Interesting to hear the assessments made good and bad of the Oxford Spires. Can Magic recapture his form (When JD signed for Ippo there were a few of their fans who said he was finished would they say that now),how long will it take Bomber get dialled in (I don’t remember him struggling around sandy lane across the last 2 seasons) and so on . While they’re maybe a few doubts I know that we are in for an exciting season across all three leagues and I can’t wait.                                    

Really? Can't say I remember Ipswich fans being unhappy with the Doyle signing.

15 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Really? Can't say I remember Ipswich fans being unhappy with the Doyle signing.

Well here’s one for you !

Plenty more like that if you care to look 

Edited by Toady