British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

9 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Pawlicki

As has been said, what the Brummies don't need is a "has been". Shamek Pawlicki fits that description down to a tee. 

Out of interest, What average would Dominik Kubera come in on? 24 years old, 7th in the Polish averages, rides in Sweden, so not unfamiliar with commuting. Just saying... If we're playing fantasy speedway predictions, he'd be a better bet than Dudek or either of the Pawlicki brothers.

If there are to be 3 x Polish riders in the team, then to get solid performances, without requiring superstar salaries, I'd go for Dominik Kubera, Maksim Drabik and Oskar Fajfer. Potty Pawlicki is an option but he strikes me as being a "mini-Pedersen" and I don't know how long he'd be able to stay out of trouble. And trouble is one thing we don't need.

Edited by uk_martin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

That leaves 22 ish for the last three, 2 x 8 pointers (Dudek & Laguta) and a 6 ish could be Richard Lawson, That would be my Team, but I,m not Nigel Tolley :D.

1. Dudek

2. Brennan

3. Laguta

4. Worrall

5. Lawson

6. Z.Cook

7. Flint

I think with the british reduction Dudek and Laguta would just about fit, and that would probably be good enough to get the Brummies in to the play off's but would it Bankrupt NT ?. It's a good mix of 2 genuine top enders, 2 middle order come 3rd heat leaders, and 3 improvers in Brennan, Cook and Flint.

I would take Robert lambert as number one and Zagar and Lawson and worrell! 

would love lambert and Freddie as heat leaders.

Will have to all wait and see and hopefully it a team what will bring fans back . 

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

Scott CAMPos? 

Could bring plenty of TENTertainment...

I am just getting me coat...:D

No mention of tent Poles then? 

Some odd rumours here.

Laguta wasn't exactly reliable last year for Stars or Panthers but is a "marquee signing"... but when they don't turn up when expected people get really miffed .

The Pawlicki's I can sort of see, neither have been in the GP's for a few years & both have experience in UK league racing.  Doubt either would be a consistent #1 but I also doubt either would be on an high average.

Lampart I don't rate, he is a bit lightweight.  Like many a Pole he can gate and when he does hit the front he can be quick.  That said would make a mockery of a 4.00 assessed average.

On 11/28/2023 at 5:49 AM, SSL84 said:

I would not worry about the track Steve there will be lots of work done over the winter to get it spot on. And hopefully good racing. 

Let’s hope so but it’s reputation is pretty poor.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:37 AM, therefused said:

if they werent put off by the wolves track they will be fine at birmingham

One hosted British finals, raved about on SKY, and had a crowd most clubs would be envy of. 
Was one of the best prepared tracks in the UK.

The other is Birmingham.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, GiveusaB said:

Leon Flint was a no-brainer with Wolves closing!

Jury still out for me with Leon and his progression in the sport.....but a welcome addition at reserve!

Has improved his average year on year however.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:07 PM, Col said:

Lindgren hasn't ridden in Britain for years, why would he do so once Monmore closed?  Not sure he'd maintain a 9 3 average anyway.  But zi guess he's a #1.

Never rated Wiktor Lampart, was a very good 16 year old but hasn't really progressed in 5 years, easily bullied, tentative when in traffic. Too lightweight. 

Lindgren has gone on to be easily in the top 3 riders in the world over the past 5 seasons.

If he was committed to riding in the UK (I doubt he will again) he will easily be high 9.

9 hours ago, stevebrum said:

One hosted British finals, raved about on SKY, and had a crowd most clubs would be envy of. 

The other is Birmingham.

Lindgren has gone on to be easily in the top 3 riders in the world over the past 5 seasons.

If he was committed to riding in the UK (I doubt he will again) he will easily be high 9.

It's awfully sad that Wolves have closed, but let's not rewrite history, it was a poor racing track. 

"Raved about on Sky" - Nigel Pearson would've raved about speedway in someone's back garden, it was his job. "Hosted British Finals" - so did Kirkmanshulme Lane, it was still a crap track.

God knows how crowd size comes into the track argument, I suppose you had nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

I am hearing that Laguta is the man for Birmingham.

What a signing for the Brummies. 

Hope not. Birmingham could really do with a rider who is willing to turn up at every match.

That being said, maybe it's cheaper to use Laguta, use him at home to get a big crowd, then he can sit out away matches with Brummies using a cheaper guest?

Why are the Pawlicki's being called has beens? Maybe they are not at their peak (former GP riders) but they're still Extraliga riders & you don't get to race in that league without a hell of a lot of talent.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Hope not. Birmingham could really do with a rider who is willing to turn up at every match.

That being said, maybe it's cheaper to use Laguta, use him at home to get a big crowd, then he can sit out away matches with Brummies using a cheaper guest?

He was willing last year, but was being controlled by Wroclaw. Either way it wouldn't be much good to Brum unless he wasn't being told when to turn up or not and was 100% committed.

21 hours ago, stevebrum said:

The other is Birmingham.

Ones still open and one isnt…. 

dont be bitter about it and Birmingham is 10x the track Wolves was 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

That makes Birmingham 2.64 km (or 1.64 miles) long.

Bomber will be pleased. We can have the World Long Track final there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

I have watched lots of meetings at Monmore and Perry Barr and in my opinion the better racing has been at Monmore, for whatever reason Perry Barr does not lend itself to overtaking except on the odd occasion, whether it's down to track prep, or maintenance I don;t know but the Monmore track has had far more time and money spent on it than Perry Barr has, one of the reasons being that Perry Barr is limited by access issues and another would be lack of money plus inferior equipment, another from reading comments are riders don;t know what to expect from one meeting to another, I read Nigel intends to spend time on the track in the close season, it not only needs time spent but money and for goodness sake lets see more banking on the bends..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Why are the Pawlicki's being called has beens? Maybe they are not at their peak (former GP riders) but they're still Extraliga riders & you don't get to race in that league without a hell of a lot of talent.

Shamek is on his way down. Potty is OK  But in any case, there are better alternatives. Kubera, Drabik or Fajfer would do a far better job than the Pawlicki bros IMHO.

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Hope not. Birmingham could really do with a rider who is willing to turn up at every match...

... sit out away matches with Brummies using a cheaper guest?

Birmingham constantly using tactical guest riders for an effectively non-existent rider???  The Brummies? Really?  What kind of team manager could possibly devise such a cunning plan, then?

I'd have thought that the importance of having and sticking with 7 actual Brummies riders is now more important than ever. The more the management prat around with guests and R/R the less and less the chances of new fans that are attracted through the gates are likely to stick with the sport.

With Kubera now in the GP series I think there are two hopes of getting him to ride over here and one of those died twenty years ago.

On the subject of the track, if prepared properly Brum is in a completely different league to Wolves IMHO.