British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

12 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Things that most likely put the neutral off going (as already mentioned)

Traffic is dire in the area.

Viewing (outside) is poor

Track has been inconsistent since Terry left (but 'hooray', he's back next year)

Things that most likely put the 'Home/Brum' fans off :

Poor sides assembled over the last 2 seasons!!!

Hoping it's not going to happen this season!?

P.s If you dont mind a 5/10 mins walk, there's plenty of street parking if people make the effort to look !?

Yes agreed with everything you say, I know the outside viewing does not help where there is a distinct lack of atmosphere, but people will put up with some of the issues if they have a winning team, if not ( take me as an example as a neutral) I think why bother Brum will lose anyway.

54 minutes ago, iainb said:

Can't you park at the one stop shopping centre? Isn't it like the Beaumont Leys parking limited to 4 hours?

I think you can only park there if you use the shopping centre now as there is no longer any formal agreement with the Speedway.BIRMINGHAM Speedway would like to update supporters attending racenights at Perry Barr in 2023 with the following car parking updates.

The previous agreement with the One Stop Shopping centre is NO longer in place and supporters are advised to adhere to the rules displayed should they choose to park there.

Edited by Toady

21 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Yes agreed with everything you say, I know the outside viewing does not help where there is a distinct lack of atmosphere, but people will put up with some of the issues if they have a winning team, if not ( take me as an example as a neutral) I think why bother Brum will lose anyway.

Ha ha...being an 'Heathen', you'd probably recognize the pit-falls even more...you've been spoilt over the years ... great teams/great riders/great race track....

I loved my Saturday nights at Dudley Wood as a kid! 

Good Old Days!....'wipe-out'! :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Toady said:

I think you can only park there if you use the shopping centre now as there is no longer any formal agreement with the Speedway.BIRMINGHAM Speedway would like to update supporters attending racenights at Perry Barr in 2023 with the following car parking updates.

The previous agreement with the One Stop Shopping centre is NO longer in place and supporters are advised to adhere to the rules displayed should they choose to park there.

yeah, I was looking at their website last year when I was thinking of heading over and it just says a 4 hour limit for shoppers, same as at Leicester, so as long as you're in and out within the 4 hours you should be good with the ANPR cameras

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not bottom of the rankings for me, don't think Brummies second strings are any worse than Belle Vue or Ipswich's imo

The other 4 teams do look stronger.

All other teams No.3 are stronger/better than Worrall ... all N0.4's are better/stronger than Brennan.....all No.2's look better/stronger than Z.Cook....just my opinion !

1 hour ago, justathought said:

Yea. It can put people off.  After a long day at work ........... a lot of people are probably up to their hassle limit. Perhaps a lot feel it's not worth the extra effort. 

The latest estimate of Birmingham’s population is the 2021 population census estimate. There are 1,144,900 people living in Birmingham according to the census.

I think you need to look at the demographic of the city and look at the growth of places such as Tamworth and Lichfield to understand why the club struggles to get decent crowds.

Then add on the fact that very few people actually like the sport anymore, which is probably the main issue. 

16 minutes ago, OGT said:

I think you need to look at the demographic of the city and look at the growth of places such as Tamworth and Lichfield to understand why the club struggles to get decent crowds.

Then add on the fact that very few people actually like the sport anymore, which is probably the main issue. 

What’s your point here?

Just now, therefused said:

What’s your point here?

The point, the reason why they struggle for crowds as the traditional speedway supporting demograph doesn't live as close to the club as it used to. If they can attract a more ethnic based crowd, then fine. 

37 minutes ago, OGT said:

It's a fair point. Look how many teams there used to be in London.

I think generally speaking the interest the sport, once had, is no longer there I'm afraid. 

Edited by justathought

On 12/21/2023 at 9:07 AM, GiveusaB said:

Free from 'EGO'....unlike some ! :D

Yeah, right ...

2 hours ago, iainb said:

yeah, I was looking at their website last year when I was thinking of heading over and it just says a 4 hour limit for shoppers, same as at Leicester, so as long as you're in and out within the 4 hours you should be good with the ANPR cameras

That four hour period restriction ends at 8pm. So as long as you arrive after 4pm (and who doesn't?) you'll be OK as parking time after 8pm is unrestricted.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, justathought said:

The latest estimate of Birmingham’s population is the 2021 population census estimate. There are 1,144,900 people living in Birmingham according to the census.

52% of that total identify as BAME. And when have you ever seen a BAME crowd at Speedway? (...waiting for all the "I know a black guy who goes" exceptions to that rule that are going to "prove me wrong")

6 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

52% of that total identify as BAME. And when have you ever seen a BAME crowd at Speedway? (...waiting for all the "I know a black guy who goes" exceptions to that rule that are going to "prove me wrong")

Actually, last time i went to Birmingham speedway there was a young Muslim family in attendance... something I've never seen before!

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Ha ha...being an 'Heathen', you'd probably recognize the pit-falls even more...you've been spoilt over the years ... great teams/great riders/great race track....

I loved my Saturday nights at Dudley Wood as a kid! 

Good Old Days!....'wipe-out'! :D

Crap stadium.:o

• Haha 1