British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

52% of that total identify as BAME. And when have you ever seen a BAME crowd at Speedway? (...waiting for all the "I know a black guy who goes" exceptions to that rule that are going to "prove me wrong")

I have followed the Wolves home and away since 1967. As I am Indian, the make-up of the crowd has always been of interest to me. At no point have I seen a big increase in the ethnic support. I can't say why that is, and to be fair my family think I am weird following speedway. Speedway's current problems are such that it is in a gradual,but persistent decline, and aiming at 1 specific demographic I don't think will make much  difference. As to attracting Wolves fans I wish the Brummies well but I would not bank on it. When Wolves were closed in 82/83 I went  to 1 meeting and that was at Perry Barr. And that was with Hans Nielsen our previous No.1. Without your own team it is just not the same. My football team is WWFC and I don't bother watching anybody else either.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 1stbender said:

Issue is that there needs to be better promotion of the club in the modern era. Maybe the club look at getting someone in fresh who can tap into a different market, birminghams a huge city no reason why they can get 1500 on a regular basis. 

It's statistically the most diverse city in UK and Europe. 

Thats the problem speedway has had for a long time. 

The traditional fan Base has gone. It's a university, Asian / West Indian mix. 

If you asked 1000 under 16s what speedway was I would bet the results would be terrifying. 

T20 and the Hundred, cricket hits the diversity and local imagination, full houses. 

It's not an easy product to sell. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OGT said:

I think you need to look at the demographic of the city and look at the growth of places such as Tamworth and Lichfield to understand why the club struggles to get decent crowds.

Then add on the fact that very few people actually like the sport anymore, which is probably the main issue. 

There used to be a speedway team at Tamworth when I was very young. It's now a housing estate next to Drayton Manor theme park. 

That area has been blighted by HS2. 

It might be a decent start up option next to M42 adjacent M6 near Bodymoor Heath. 

Very open interview from Nigel Tolley in the Speedway Star.

You have admire anyone who has put nearly £300,000 into a club, sadly whilst he continues to allow Laurence Rogers to make business decisions, his investment will continue to be poured down the drain.  

2024 is likely to follow 2023 and 2022 pattern, an uncompetitive team, over paid and under performing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BryanUgest said:

...to allow Laurence Rogers to make business decisions, his investment will continue to be poured down the drain

I wonder what Sir Alan Lord Sugar would make of it all. Who would he fire? The guy who is responsible for all the crap signings, facility stunts and fake break-ins and equipment damage, or the guy financing this venture without dismissing the person who is wasting his money for him?

6 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

All other teams No.3 are stronger/better than Worrall ... all N0.4's are better/stronger than Brennan.....all No.2's look better/stronger than Z.Cook....just my opinion !

Yes..very true ..

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

I wonder what Sir Alan Lord Sugar would make of it all. Who would he fire? The guy who is responsible for all the crap signings, facility stunts and fake break-ins and equipment damage, or the guy financing this venture without dismissing the person who is wasting his money for him?

All of them

1 hour ago, BryanUgest said:

Very open interview from Nigel Tolley in the Speedway Star.

You have admire anyone who has put nearly £300,000 into a club, sadly whilst he continues to allow Laurence Rogers to make business decisions, his investment will continue to be poured down the drain.  

2024 is likely to follow 2023 and 2022 pattern, an uncompetitive team, over paid and under performing.

Admire or question their sanity?

Edited by iainb

8 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

All other teams No.3 are stronger/better than Worrall ... all N0.4's are better/stronger than Brennan.....all No.2's look better/stronger than Z.Cook....just my opinion !

You're entitled to your opinion, but my slightly less negative view is Worrall is better than Tungate, Brennan is better than Ellis & Z.Cook is better than Rew.

Could change if the opposing 3 can bring their European form to GB.

8 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but my slightly less negative view is Worrall is better than Tungate, Brennan is better than Ellis & Z.Cook is better than Rew.

Could change if the opposing 3 can bring their European form to GB.

I don't think any team will better Brum's bottom four personally. We shall see.

• Like 1

What were crowds like the year Brum topped the El table and lost the playoff final ??

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't think any team will better Brum's bottom four personally. We shall see.

I think that's what needs to happen to keep Birmingham competitive, hope it happens.

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

What were crowds like the year Brum topped the El table and lost the playoff final ??

Very healthy and more than enough to see us through next season 

On 12/20/2023 at 12:34 AM, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Lampart is a decent signing and should double figure score most meetings, he is certainly fast enough and has good equipment and does mix it in the extraleague, 

I’ll eat my hat if he scores double figures most matches. You’re seriously over rating him if you think that’ll happen.