British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

24 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

there must be a couple of Sponsors in the Birmingham area ...There are major employers within the city that should be approached with Sponsorship in mind,

Sponsorship is a commercial undertaking where the cash investment is expected to produce a revenue benefit. That means that you need the people exposed to the sponsor to buy their products. It's a difficult thing to do with an aged fan base living on their old age pensions and a wider speedway supporter base that is renown for its penny pinching "thriftyness".

Are you expecting charitable contributions, or for these companies just to subsidise the fortnightly entertainment of some senior citizens out of the goodness of their hearts?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Sponsorship is a commercial undertaking where the cash investment is expected to produce a revenue benefit. That means that you need the people exposed to the sponsor to buy their products. It's a difficult thing to do with an aged fan base living on their old age pensions and a wider speedway supporter base that is renown for its penny pinching "thriftyness".

Are you expecting charitable contributions, or for these companies just to subsidise the fortnightly entertainment of some senior citizens out of the goodness of their hearts?

Hence so many sponsors are individual fans, or businesses of individual fans, or businesses involved in the sport who benefit directly from their involvement, (eg travel companies, insurance companies, engine tuners/sellers etc).. 

Getting "someone else" interested will be the challenge that could start to turn round the sports' fortunes...

As you say though, the age demographic, and the phyiscsl lack of punters in the stadiums, isn't going to attract too many "modern" businesses unfortunately...

SAGA, Tena or Steradent maybe? :D

In about five years, I will defintely be a potential customer...;)

On 1/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, Bald Bloke said:

All i can say is i was told AL had signed for all the meetings under Alex, but as we know shortly afterwards Alex departed. I suspect Buster re negotiated the deal, as he said himself that money was a problem after he took over from Alex.

If you look at the gates Lynn were getting last year it must have been obvious Brady was subsidising Laguta’s deal in sponsorship, once Brady effectively jumped ship Buster was picking up the shortfall, I never saw more than 400-600 at Lynn last whatever meeting I was at or watched online/Eurosport etc, Peterborough were getting well over twice what Lynn were getting which is why Laguta was switched to us and then only did some home meetings.

I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that Laguta was paid for out of the telly money. 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that Laguta was paid for out of the telly money. 

I read that somewhere. I believe it may have been in the speedway star when Alex quit. Maybe the 35k is the tv money 

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Spot on.

As somebody working in finance, my best estimate for a sponsor would be an equity release firm. Speedway's audience would be perfect for that market.

• Like 1

So,  B'ham promotion are supposedly speaking to  6/8 available (whatever criteria that means?) riders in order to finalise the last 2 (GP standard (not my words) riders)

Please, please, please don't leave this decision in the hands of previous team selectors!

Hopefully, the promotion have been taking note of forum posters and should by now, know, what's needed, for a reasonable chance of progress!

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Hopefully, the promotion have been taking note of forum posters ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

So,  B'ham promotion are supposedly speaking to  6/8 available (whatever criteria that means?) riders in order to finalise the last 2 (GP standard (not my words) riders)

Please, please, please don't leave this decision in the hands of previous team selectors!

Hopefully, the promotion have been taking note of forum posters and should by now, know, what's needed, for a reasonable chance of progress!

NT said it was Laurence, Chris with himself busy making sure that they pick the best 2 from 6 possible riders, does that give you any confidence that they will get it right ?.

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Who do you think you are ?

2 hours ago, heathen52 said:

NT said it was Laurence, Chris with himself busy making sure that they pick the best 2 from 6 possible riders, does that give you any confidence that they will get it right ?.

It depends who the 6 riders are

3 hours ago, noaksey said:

It depends who the 6 riders are

Zmarzlik, Laguta, Vaculik, Lindgren and the Pawlicki brothers.

Wonder which 2 will sign for Birmingham.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Can’t see it being Zmarzlik, Laguta, Vaculik or Lindgren with other commitments but I’d love to be proved wrong

3 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

Birmingham to blow everyone out the water Zmarzik and Lindgren announcement at press and practise to add a bit of drama!

1 hour ago, 1stbender said:

Birmingham to blow everyone out the water Zmarzik and Lindgren announcement at press and practise to add a bit of drama!

Out of interest,  when is press and practice?