British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

3 hours ago, castrolargh said:

So which rabbit would you pull out of the hat that could ride Oxford as well as scotty at such short notice?whilst he may not be a premiership no1 any more, I'd say he's probably your best option, especially at Oxford   brum and maybe/ probably ippo

I didn't say I had one - although for enough money there surely is someone out there for 'just 3 meetings'. But they were already 1.5 under the limit after they'd had increased averages of riders to make them get nearer to the limit. As others have pointed out, the initial poor building of the side makes it stick out more as it's essentially a no1 for a 45 year old on a 5 point average.

He will start off well, if he doesn't suffer any ill effects from his recent (I think shoulder) surgery. 

Rogers has built poor sides ever since arriving at B'ham....he 'sort of' got away with it at a lower level, but I don't think he has anywhere to hide this season!?

This is without doubt the least 'competitive' side, ever assembled, in all my years of following B'ham Speedway!

Excuse after excuse...... Bull after bull.....there's no defence...there's no words...

He will play a good role as Messiah to the MDL.....end of!

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, DJC said:

I didn't say I had one - although for enough money there surely is someone out there for 'just 3 meetings'. But they were already 1.5 under the limit after they'd had increased averages of riders to make them get nearer to the limit. As others have pointed out, the initial poor building of the side makes it stick out more as it's essentially a no1 for a 45 year old on a 5 point average.

He will start off well, if he doesn't suffer any ill effects from his recent (I think shoulder) surgery. 

I believe it was a meniscus tear (knee)

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Rogers has built poor sides ever since arriving at B'ham....he 'sort of' got away with it at a lower level, but I don't think he has anywhere to hide this season!?

This is without doubt the least 'competitive' side, ever assembled, in all my years of following B'ham Speedway!

Excuse after excuse...... Bull after bull.....there's no defence...there's no words...

He will play a good role as Messiah to the MDL.....end of!

According to the round the boards podcast  apparently Birminghams side is better than leicesters, believe it or not! ' I'll have what there having ' ..

• Haha 2

One thing that has made me laugh on this thread is how people slam the rules yet want Pawlicki to turn up and "do a Kennett" so they can replace him with guests? 

Pawlicki missing is a big loss. I would still be shocked if he takes part in more than 6 meetings for Birmingham over a full season. 

38 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

According to the round the boards podcast  apparently Birminghams side is better than leicesters, believe it or not! ' I'll have what there having ' ..

That's the beauty of opinions.

What I will say is that it looks like the hardest top league to predict for many seasons. And that assuming we are taking the Pawlicki situation at face value they are the one club (like Plymouth in the league below) who could really have done without their number one getting injured pre season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

why didnt Pawliki just do an Eddie Kennett ?

What did Eddie Kennett "do" that PP should seek to emulate?

Surely the issue over Eddie Kennet was how his team's management twisted (or were allowed to twist. by the BSPZzz) the rule book inside out in order to gain advantage? That's not something that the rider is necessarily responsible for. And didn't the Brummies do something very similar with James Wright already? "Fool me once", and all that. And if you are advocating more rules and regulations shenanigans, aren't you advocating a course of action that is at the heart of why the sport is losing so much of it's fan base?

• Like 1

By the way, seeing the Brummies team photo doing the rounds got me wondering. What was the last team photo of the Brummies that had 7 riders in it?

DJC says money should be thrown at someone to fill Pawlicki’s boots but money in Poland means its not money that will convince someone to come over for a month.

I don’t think Pawlicki will be allowed to ride for Brum before riding for his Polish team first. He will not miss a Polish meeting and I believe he will have to serve a 28 day ban in the UK. Not the best of starts. With a full team inc. Pawlicki Brummies would have been somewhat competitive in last years Premiership, but all teams have strengthened compared to last year leaving a very large gap. Fingers crossed they survive the season.

9 minutes ago, bringbackHalifax said:

DJC says money should be thrown at someone to fill Pawlicki’s boots but money in Poland means its not money that will convince someone to come over for a month.

I don’t think Pawlicki will be allowed to ride for Brum before riding for his Polish team first. He will not miss a Polish meeting and I believe he will have to serve a 28 day ban in the UK. Not the best of starts. With a full team inc. Pawlicki Brummies would have been somewhat competitive in last years Premiership, but all teams have strengthened compared to last year leaving a very large gap. Fingers crossed they survive the season.

Why would Pawlicki serve a 28 day ban? He’s apparently injured so not withholding his services and has been replaced in the 1-7 with a short term replacement. 

1 hour ago, bringbackHalifax said:

If not a ban then Scotty can only replace for a 28 day period, so effectively Pawlicki cannot come back before 28 days expire.

I thought he’d been signed on a short term contract not as an injury replacement? The injury replacement rule usually only applies during the season to protect an average. I can’t see any protection is required as there won’t be any major shifts in averages before Pawlicki is due back. First significant change, other than for assessed riders, should be 1 May

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

What did Eddie Kennett "do" that PP should seek to emulate?

Surely the issue over Eddie Kennet was how his team's management twisted (or were allowed to twist. by the BSPZzz) the rule book inside out in order to gain advantage? That's not something that the rider is necessarily responsible for. And didn't the Brummies do something very similar with James Wright already? "Fool me once", and all that. And if you are advocating more rules and regulations shenanigans, aren't you advocating a course of action that is at the heart of why the sport is losing so much of it's fan base?

Kennett crashed heavily in his opening ride and smashed his arm in, didnt he?