British Speedway Forum
bloom89

SGB Championship 2024 Confirmed Signings

2 hours ago, phillipsr said:

I never said hundreds and hundreds but their will be some… id certainly rather watch her than some of the others mentioned on here if they had been named instead:. 
likes of Cook and Batch i wouldnt open my curtains if they were riding in my back garden but Liebman (and Tate and The Finn) will get me along to watch 

But if there’s a handful for example then it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Clubs are closing every time you blink and because one team signs a woman rider that’s not going to change things, really the only people who this appeals to will be mainly people who follow speedway anyway imo. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Not really. I can't see any non-speedway fans wanting to pay £25 or whatever it is to see a reserve rider just because she's female. If any do then it'll be solely for the novelty value and we all know every novelty quickly wears off. 

Yes exactly this, the world we live in prices continue to rise and I’m sure most clubs will be hiking there prices up again this coming season. Lowering the product but increasing the price same old British speedway.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Not really. I can't see any non-speedway fans wanting to pay £25 or whatever it is to see a reserve rider just because she's female. If any do then it'll be solely for the novelty value and we all know every novelty quickly wears off. 

£25 must be the Glasgow admission price !! Worky and others are £20 :D granted it should be less for a diluted product but yhrm in charge can't see this !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Notwithstanding the lower points limit, clubs still have the same stadium and meeting costs, most of which have increased in price, so its understandable that admission prices will increase!

Fans will make their own decisions about 'what represents a quality product'!

If its felt that the increase is too much then that will be reflected in attendance levels - a factor that I'm sure most Promoters take into account when preparing their revenue/expenditure budgets for each season.

Edited by Skidder1

3 hours ago, bloom89 said:

But if there’s a handful for example then it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. Clubs are closing every time you blink and because one team signs a woman rider that’s not going to change things, really the only people who this appeals to will be mainly people who follow speedway anyway imo. 

Yeah maybe but i also dont see the harm in it:.. surely any extra fans is a good thing its hardly like clubs can be picky!! Im not saying this is some great messiah to get crowds flooding back but any extra is a good thing! 

I know various people have said certain riders like Gilkes, Rowe and Jack Thomas have been offered deals and turned them down but it’s mightily disappointing when these riders don’t have spots in the league.

3 hours ago, bloom89 said:

I know various people have said certain riders like Gilkes, Rowe and Jack Thomas have been offered deals and turned them down but it’s mightily disappointing when these riders don’t have spots in the league.

Yea but dome riders have a high opinion of themselves  and want more money than offered, then feel hard done by not having a team place !!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Neila said:

Yea but dome riders have a high opinion of themselves  and want more money than offered, then feel hard done by not having a team place !!

Nail hit firmly on the head,couldn't agree more.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bloom89 said:

So, what do you want clubs to do? Go over budget by offering these certain riders "over the odds" money and potentially put the club at risk, or look elsewhere for riders willing to ride for the money offered?

10 hours ago, Neila said:

Do you know this for definite though? Is it any different to say bringing an Aussie over giving them digs for the season, a van and whatever else though? Add in the cost of this and it could be what another rider is wanting. Not saying it’s right or wrong but it happens. 

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

So, what do you want clubs to do? Go over budget by offering these certain riders "over the odds" money and potentially put the club at risk, or look elsewhere for riders willing to ride for the money offered?

Clubs should stick to a budget,  and some riders should live in the real world,  not being totally greedy, then some of them will have a team place and being able to make a living from a hobby,  how many youngsters want to be full time speedway riders with 2 or more bikes and a van 

6 hours ago, Neila said:

Clubs should stick to a budget,  and some riders should live in the real world,  not being totally greedy, then some of them will have a team place and being able to make a living from a hobby,  how many youngsters want to be full time speedway riders with 2 or more bikes and a van 

How many clubs demand 2 or more bikes and a van. Any rider with a respectable fixture list (even just CL only) would need a minimum of 2 bikes and realistically 3+ along with additional engines to cover for damage that can happen at any point during the seaon with fixtures often packed together. Doesn't present a good image stating i have no bikes / engines ready.

33 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

How many clubs demand 2 or more bikes and a van. Any rider with a respectable fixture list (even just CL only) would need a minimum of 2 bikes and realistically 3+ along with additional engines to cover for damage that can happen at any point during the seaon with fixtures often packed together. Doesn't present a good image stating i have no bikes / engines ready.

From personal experience we found that it was a must to have 2 complete bikes and a rolling chassis for a back up in case of a crash and a third engine sat waiting to go in when one went for service when doing 2 leagues . If only doing national league with the sparse fixture list would of got away with two complete bikes as alway time to get stuff fixed or serviced 

• Like 1

I am sure I read it in last years rules about riders having 2 bikes ready to race. This rule could have been in place over many years, though.

8 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

I am sure I read it in last years rules about riders having 2 bikes ready to race. This rule could have been in place over many years, though.

Hard to believe that is a rule.( not disputing you though)

• Like 1