British Speedway Forum
szkocjasid

Leicester Lion Cubs 2024

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm really pleased these new rules for the NL have encouraged Leicester to drop 32 year old Max Perry, who after 6 seasons in the NL is unlikely to make the grade at Champ level or above & replace him with 16 year old Luke Crang with only 2 years experience in the NL & looking for a doubling up spot in the Champ!

*Spot the deliberate mistake

Nothing to do with luke if they wanted him they could of used him instead of joe who's in all 3 leagues.

5 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

What makes you think anyone will get the boot 

Because you can only have 7 rides in a team, and since everyone expects Will Cairns to come in once he turns 15, someone would have to make way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Because you can only have 7 rides in a team, and since everyone expects Will Cairns to come in once he turns 15, someone would have to make way.

Expectations very often don't meet reality 

37 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Not 100% sure William will go straight into Cubs team once he turns 15 as my understanding is that he is still going to be very busy on the continent getting more varied experience including in Poland under the guidance of Mr Hancock so will possibly be missing a number of weekends.

What may possibly happen is William guests for the Cubs as an unattached 2pt rider when required and available 

19 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Glad Luke signed for Leicester. I assume with 3.33 left that the final rider will be William Cairns (When does he turn 15?) I can't tell if I like this team or not... It has the potential to be unstoppable or weak at the top end... I can't tell. Either way it doesn't matter too much because there's plenty of young riders to develop there, which is what this league is all about.

1. Joe Thompson

2. Vinnie Foord

3. Max James

4. Arran Butcher

5. Tom Spencer

6. Luke Crang

7. William Cairns

Looks a  funny side but if written out with Foord at reserve and Crang in the 1-5 as expected after the first setbof averages it makes more sense. In an easier league Spencer and Butcher both need to push on towards the 6+ mark (or keep manipulating thier averages like they have the past few seasons). Springer will certainly be an interesting watch an Cairns will probably be held back until next season.

2 hours ago, flagrag said:

he is still going to be very busy on the continent getting more varied experience including in Poland

He'd get more varied experience riding at Leicester, where every bend is, erm, unique, than riding on the big flat out continental clone-a-tracks

1 hour ago, iainb said:

He'd get more varied experience riding at Leicester, where every bend is, erm, unique, than riding on the big flat out continental clone-a-tracks

But will get to ride against Europe’s best riders regularly which wouldn’t happen if commits to a full season in UK

6 hours ago, mc131 said:

Nothing to do with luke if they wanted him they could of used him instead of joe who's in all 3 leagues.

That's true, for the "development" of the riders, surely another season in the NL would be more needed by Max than Joe?

39 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That's true, for the "development" of the riders, surely another season in the NL would be more needed by Max than Joe?

Exactly when joe is holding his own in pl he doesn't really need nl. Boughen has dropped it after 1 full season.

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

But will get to ride against Europe’s best riders regularly which wouldn’t happen if commits to a full season in UK

True... he needs to walk before he can run though

It looks a very strong side at home that should go through the season unbeaten. Thompson will score a maximum every week as this is clearly below his level and will be nigh on I beat able at most away tracks too. What is he really gaining?

Crang looked a good prospect when he arrived on the scene as a late starter. I expected him to be more of a Starke type rider who was unlikely to ever hit the headlines but should’ve been a steady second tier rider. He’ll put points on his average this season but he’ll never make the Leicester PL team. 

Foord, Butcher and Spencer are reliable riders in their own rights. In a weaker league they’ll all probably put upto a point on their own averages, but again unlikely to ever make the Leicester PL team. 

Bizarrely that only leaves James as the one on a genuine constant upward trajectory. Plus Springer who deserves his first chance at this level and now he’s signed I hope he gets the full season. I still can’t believe they didn’t include Perry. They gave him a NL chance first and he very well could soon be a Leicester PL rider. Even in 2025 as a Rising Star assuming both Thompsons outgrow that role. But they haven’t given him this year in the NL?!

I’m really confused by this Leicester team! In previous years they’ve got it more than most and put out a team truly for development! Yet this year we have a weaker league and it feels like they’ve done the opposite. 

Edited by Islander15

Is it true that Congreves is no longer allowed to ride in the NDL. Hearing that he’s not coming back as no longer allowed to ride in the NDL and not good enough to ride in the CL

37 minutes ago, Filth said:

Is it true that Congreves is no longer allowed to ride in the NDL. Hearing that he’s not coming back as no longer allowed to ride in the NDL and not good enough to ride in the CL

No longer allowed or not got a ride? Either way nice lad but no huge loss, arguably took up the place of a brit last season and would have again this year, NDL should have stayed brit passport only but bowed to pressure of a couple of teams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

No longer allowed or not got a ride? Either way nice lad but no huge loss, arguably took up the place of a brit last season and would have again this year, NDL should have stayed brit passport only but bowed to pressure of a couple of teams. 

No longer allowed to apparently? just wondering if they’ve changed the rules 

LEICESTER supporters again have the chance to show their support for the Lion Cubs – with your name on a team race-suit!

Last year’s successful initiative is being repeated, and for just £30 you can have your name incorporated into the 2024 race-suit of a Cubs rider, to be worn each time the team takes to the track.

The 2024 package includes:
*Your name on a 2024 Lion Cubs race-suit as part of a collage;
*Entry into a draw to win a rider’s suit at the end of the season;
*A signed photo of the rider whose suit your name appears on;
*A thank-you in the 2024 Lion Cubs programmes acknowledging your individual support of a rider.

It’s really easy to get involved – just e-mail John Harvey at john.harvey@leicesterspeedway.com