British Speedway Forum
szkocjasid

Leicester Lion Cubs 2024

2 hours ago, George Dodds said:

thought he rode on a british passport last year?

If you're referring to Congreve he didn't ride on a British passport. He rode as a Commonwealth rider in the same way as Pearson and Hook did, those are no longer allowed in the NDL (after only being permitted again for one season!) 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:06 AM, Islander15 said:

It looks a very strong side at home that should go through the season unbeaten. Thompson will score a maximum every week as this is clearly below his level and will be nigh on I beat able at most away tracks too. What is he really gaining?

Crang looked a good prospect when he arrived on the scene as a late starter. I expected him to be more of a Starke type rider who was unlikely to ever hit the headlines but should’ve been a steady second tier rider. He’ll put points on his average this season but he’ll never make the Leicester PL team. 

Foord, Butcher and Spencer are reliable riders in their own rights. In a weaker league they’ll all probably put upto a point on their own averages, but again unlikely to ever make the Leicester PL team. 

Bizarrely that only leaves James as the one on a genuine constant upward trajectory. Plus Springer who deserves his first chance at this level and now he’s signed I hope he gets the full season. I still can’t believe they didn’t include Perry. They gave him a NL chance first and he very well could soon be a Leicester PL rider. Even in 2025 as a Rising Star assuming both Thompsons outgrow that role. But they haven’t given him this year in the NL?!

I’m really confused by this Leicester team! In previous years they’ve got it more than most and put out a team truly for development! Yet this year we have a weaker league and it feels like they’ve done the opposite. 

And because it is a weaker league most riders will improve their starting averages. To date there are just 5 riders who will start on an average over 7.

Edited by Barrow Boy 2
Mistake

Now that the BNL teams average has been increased by 0.25 to allow Max Perry to compete would Leicester have included him had this been done earlier?

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Now that the BNL teams average has been increased by 0.25 to allow Max Perry to compete would Leicester have included him had this been done earlier?

In a word, no. 

The Cubs team building was always centred on a choice between Thompson and Perry as it is difficult to accommodate both. An extra 0.25 doesn't change that. 

If Perry was in place of the next highest averaged rider, Tom Spencer, Leicester would have to drop Arran Butcher for a 3.00 rider. They could have done that with a 36 point limit. 

Surprised to see Max James missing for Leicester at Belle Vue. Edinburgh have a season launch event, but I'd have thought a NL fixture would take priority over that? (Assuming that's why he's missing)

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Surprised to see Max James missing for Leicester at Belle Vue. Edinburgh have a season launch event, but I'd have thought a NL fixture would take priority over that? (Assuming that's why he's missing)

Yeah he will be at Edinburgh today for p&p and launch event.

34 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Yeah he will be at Edinburgh today for p&p and launch event.

Hopefully an unattached rider is going to be used as a replacement

20 minutes ago, Binman said:

Jody Scott guests I believe.

1 hour ago, ITK said:

Belle Vue preview:

https://www.bellevue-speedway.com/blog/latest-news-2/meeting-preview-colts-aiming-for-a-good-friday-238

2 hours ago, Binman said:

2 hours ago, ITK said:

Bit dubious using a guest for a rider missing an official fixture to go to a practice day, but within the rules I guess.   Anything goes these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Bit dubious using a guest for a rider missing an official fixture to go to a practice day, but within the rules I guess.   Anything goes these days.

Probably told he couldn't ride for Leicester to encourage more guests lol!

Excellent win for the Cubs 49 at Colts 38. Good lad Tom 8(4) :t:

Great start for the Cubs. With only 5 away matches this season, that's such a great result. The pressure is on every other team already.

• Like 1