British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Interval Attractions

I recall these attractions,   always appreciated them as part of the overall entertainment, even if some of them weren't that great it was part of the promoters attempts to make it a fun evening out for the family. Anyone recall the end of season fireworks. As regards my experience- me and my mates would go to the Newport County  Supporters Club at Somerton Park  after the main event and sink a couple of Whitbread's Trophy Beer -then go watch the remaining riders - second halfers (in Newport's case Alan Jones , Peter Harris , Ian Terrar, etc etc). Seing Bob Hughes become  a regular team member, Fred Powell(formerly of St. Austell). That made it an all round great evening.  I wish I could go bak in time to those great days.

riders,, rider of the night final

Talking of end of season fireworks reminds me that the main attraction at any end of season meeting where Johnnie Hoskins was promoter was burning his hat!

9 minutes ago, norbold said:

Talking of end of season fireworks reminds me that the main attraction at any end of season meeting where Johnnie Hoskins was promoter was burning his hat!

Do they still have the end-of-season festivities like they used to? We used to go armed with water bombs, flour bombs, and raw eggs...

Tbh and maybe i missed it, but Wimbledon's end of season, usually the Laurels was pretty tame apart fom the meeting-wise. It was mainly just the meeting and then fireworks from memory. Hackey and Len Silver on the other hand was a 'good show' and well worth crossing the river for. Len was a real promoter and sadly Maido wasn't

Edited by iris123

On 1/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, bigdave said:

Yes, because it creates publicity before the meeting and increases the attendance at the meeting. If it didn't do either, then I would have thought that Ian Thomas wouldn't have booked any interval attractions.

Just re-reading Ian Thomas's book and as you say he was a great advocate and it generated much interest and publicity.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:57 AM, chunky said:

Do they still have the end-of-season festivities like they used to? We used to go armed with water bombs, flour bombs, and raw eggs...

What with todays health and safety

I recall a mechanics' race being part of the end of season fun at Wimbledon. The time in the programme was shown as Hours ... Minutes ...

Edited by Split