British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Championship Predictions 2024

Posted (edited)

Usual disclaimers ie don't take it personally, injuries not withstanding etc etc

Redcar

Oxford

Scunthorpe 

Poole

Glasgow

Workington

Berwick

Edinburgh

Plymouth

Discuss!

Edited by Bagpuss

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Usual disclaimers ie don't take it personally, injuries not withstanding etc etc

Redcar

Oxford

Scunthorpe 

Poole

Glasgow

Workington

Berwick

Edinburgh

Plymouth

Discuss!

Agree regarding Plymouth!

34 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Redcar

Oxford

Scunthorpe 

Poole

Glasgow

Workington

Berwick

Edinburgh

Plymouth

Discuss!

Finding it very hard to predict this year. I agree Edinburgh and Plymouth look the weakest and Redcar strongest..Oxford I'd disagree with as don't look to have a 3rd HL and 2nd strings could be weak too. Glasgow I have no idea, worrall and bomber should be scoring 25 between them most meetings keeps them in the match but a lot will rely on flint becoming a genuine HL.and one of the reserves having a great season.

I'll stab at:

Redcar

Poole

Scunthorpe 

Oxford

Glasgow

Berwick

Workington

Edinburgh

Plymouth

1. Redcar

2. Poole

3. Oxford

4. Scunthorpe

5. Berwick

6. Glasgow

7. Edinburgh 

8. Workington 

9. Plymouth

Apologies Plymouth fans but I just don’t see anything other than this, hopefully I’m wrong.

While I’m happy with Redcars team and think they will finish in the playoffs, I would be surprised if they finished top. Say the same thing every season that visiting teams enjoy riding at Redcar too much to make us favourites for anything. 

Think it’s a pretty even league with only Plymouth looking significantly weaker than the rest.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Redcar

Oxford

Scunthorpe 

Poole

Glasgow

Workington

Berwick

Edinburgh

Plymouth

Discuss!

The Oxford one is an interesting one as I know you rate them quite highly. I would have them as a top 3 team. But others aren't including Gavin Parr as he had Poole, Redcar, Glasgow and Scunny as top 4 (don't think it was in that order though!) on the Bears Talk FB live thingy.

I would go with atm:

Redcar 

Oxford

Poole

Scunny

Glasgow

Berwick

Workington

Edinburgh

Plymouth

Feel like the top 5 is relatively easy. But who you leave out of the playoffs in 5th place is a hard decision! 

Edited by lisa-colette

4 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

While I’m happy with Redcars team and think they will finish in the playoffs, I would be surprised if they finished top. Say the same thing every season that visiting teams enjoy riding at Redcar too much to make us favourites for anything. 

Think it’s a pretty even league with only Plymouth looking significantly weaker than the rest.

Think they will do it this year imo. 

11 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

As it stands you have the strongest team , but we all know through experience things change during the season that derail teams seasons.

Redcar

scunthorpe

oxford

glasgow

Workington 

poole

plymouth

berwick

edinburgh

Posted (edited)

Of the completed sides:

Poole
Scunthorpe
Oxford
Glasgow
Redcar
Plymouth

Think Oxford would have been massive favourites had they chosen someone like Rowe instead of Heeps. But think their tail will be too long away from home.

Poole's top 4 will be their strength.

With Glasgow having 4 of last year's reserves, the second string berths could be their downfall (although Pearson & Starke are riders who could put points on their averages), but should have 2 decent reserves.

Scunthorpe must have the best top 5 in the league.

Edited by szkocjasid

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't rate Redcar then?

Don't think they are bad, just think others look stronger. Could all change if Bailey & Edwards make a big improvement.

Redcar look good on paper, problem is 3 of their riders are coming back from nasty injuries.

9 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't rate Redcar then?

Don't think they are bad, just think others look stronger. Could all change if Bailey & Edwards make a big improvement.

Just don't see any weak links with Redcar, whereas others have them. Like, Glasgow is the second strings, Plymouth don't have 3 HLs, Oxford and Berwick have a 'weaker' 3rd HL. 

Posted (edited)

Poole strength with there top 4 is beyond question,but having 3 reserves and thomsen is one apologies if i spelt his name wrong will be there Achilles heel .because if one of that top 4 has a bad night they will get beat especially by Redcar, Oxford,Glasgow and Scunthorpe, and hopefully my lot but I might be stretching it with the last one .

Edited by Mike0310