British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Championship Predictions 2024

14 hours ago, Neila said:

Guess we will wait and see, but IF they keep their heads, and the Finn and Aussie score to their undoubted potential, the comets could do better than expected, just look what happened in 2018, when all the predictions put comets at the bottom :party:  H18TORY 

Were they really predicted for bottom in 2018?

33 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Were they really predicted for bottom in 2018?

I wouldn't have thought so, not with the side they started with. Certainly very few if any pundits thought they'd win the lot though. 

Talking of 2018, the team who were predicted to finish bottom of the Premiership (or whatever it was called then) certainly did finish top :D

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I wouldn't have thought so, not with the side they started with. Certainly very few if any pundits thought they'd win the lot though. 

Talking of 2018, the team who were predicted to finish bottom of the Premiership (or whatever it was called then) certainly did finish top :D

It's certainly popular of clubs to say they weren't rated, so their achievements look even better. I remember reading non-stop comments from Middlo about how well Ben Cook was doing as a 3rd heat leader when so many people doubted he was ready for the position.

1) I don't remember hardly anyone suggesting Cook couldn't handle the 3rd heat leader role.

2) you don't need a strong 3rd heat leader to win the league (there's 7 men in the team).

I feel like saying to Middlo, can't you just say Ben is doing well, without acting like it was "against all odds / proving the doubters wrong"

Let’s look forward not back , that was then this is now, my only misgiving is that the current line up do not have experience on away tracks but if they can make good scores at home after getting some initial home rides then we’ll be fine .

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

Let’s look forward not back , that was then this is now, my only misgiving is that the current line up do not have experience on away tracks but if they can make good scores at home after getting some initial home rides then we’ll be fine .

Home wins keep the fans interested anything on the road is a bonus.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Did they win the league though? Oh no that was a team who were bottom for half the season :D

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Did they win the league though? Oh no that was a team who were bottom for half the season :D

who won it in2018 ?

11 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

who won it in2018 ?

Lisa will be on shortly to confirm who it was, a team  whose name rhymes with tool.

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Lisa will be on shortly to confirm who it was, a team  whose name rhymes with tool.

Lol. I'm surprised a KL fan brought that year up in the first place tbh. Also had the guest issue of both teams wanting to have the same one. So we had to settle for Nick Morris, though not sure if his average completely fit! :o

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Never fails to disappoint:D

2 hours ago, j2ohh said:

who won it in2018 ?

Also Nic Klindt was at both Workington and Poole that year I believe. 

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Sshhhhh

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Lol. I'm surprised a KL fan brought that year up in the first place tbh. Also had the guest issue of both teams wanting to have the same one. So we had to settle for Nick Morris, though not sure if his average completely fit! :o

Injuries ruined the end of that season but cest la vie.

The point was that teams can sometimes look dreadful yet just click. Swindon did it too in 2017.

20 hours ago, PotteringAround said:
1  Glasgow
Redcar
3  Poole
4  Oxford
5  Scunthorpe
6  Berwick
Workington
Edinburgh
9  Plymouth

I don't think Glasgow will win it this year but i said that last year as well. Then again I didn't forsee the signing of Tarasenko which turned a very good team into an unbeatable one. That signing was a bit of genius.