British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Your First World Final

Don't give me a hard time  if this subject has cropped up beforeI!!. My  first WF was 1965- Bjorn Knutson's only win.  I was enthralled by the whole thing, the old Wembley Stadium, what seemed to me a huge crowd  and a wonderful atmosphere. The first heat was a shocker, Nigel Boocock finishing ahead of Ove Fundin. Second heat Brian Brett beat Ken McKinlay, third heat Bengt Jansson beat Bjorn Knutson, fourth heat Igor Plechanov beat Barry- Briggs. So after one heat the 3 pointers were Boocock, Brett, Jansson and Plechanov. Was there going to be an upset?? Well, forumlanders (undoubtedly some of whom were there) any memories ?? Wot was the first WF for other forumlanders?? I think only  6 of the 16 1965 riders are still with us ( though I may be wrong-not for the first time!!)

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Don't give me a hard time  if this subject has cropped up beforeI!!. My  first WF was 1965- Bjorn Knutson's only win.  I was enthralled by the whole thing, the old Wembley Stadium, what seemed to me a huge crowd  and a wonderful atmosphere. The first heat was a shocker, Nigel Boocock finishing ahead of Ove Fundin. Second heat Brian Brett beat Ken McKinlay, third heat Bengt Jansson beat Bjorn Knutson, fourth heat Igor Plechanov beat Barry- Briggs. So after one heat the 3 pointers were Boocock, Brett, Jansson and Plechanov. Was there going to be an upset?? Well, forumlanders (undoubtedly some of whom were there) any memories ?? Wot was the first WF for other forumlanders?? I think only  6 of the 16 1965 riders are still with us ( though I may be wrong-not for the first time!!)

My first final (or final I remember, anyway), was 1969 - and only FIVE of those are still with us!

After four heats, the four heat winners were Mayger, Briggs, Sjosten, and Boocock, and they ended up being the top four.

For me, the outstanding memory from that was Toby Harrysson's devastating crash.

My first world final was 1962 won by Peter Craven. It was the one that featured four of the "big five" in heat six. They ended up as the top four on the night although not in order they finished that race. The other member of that illustrious quintet (Ronnie Moore) finished joint fifth.

What was the order  of finishers in heat 6 in 62?

57 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1423/1962-world-final-wembley-stadium

Mine was 69. Mauger won in a canter and didn't even need to take his last ride. I remember a terrific ride by Briggs to win his first race passing Moore and McKinlay on the last lap. Ken McKinlay was very much in the running at the interval with 7 points from his three rides, but then didn't pick up another point from his last two races.

Mine was the 1975 final. In fact  only went to two. 75 and 85

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Briggs, Craven, Knutson, Fundin.

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

Mine was 69. Mauger won in a canter and didn't even need to take his last ride. I remember a terrific ride by Briggs to win his first race passing Moore and McKinlay on the last lap. Ken McKinlay was very much in the running at the interval with 7 points from his three rides, but then didn't pick up another point from his last two races.

Yep. I remember a comment in one of the World Final History books (can't be sure which one, Maurice Jones' or John Chaplin's), with a photo of Hurriken at Wembley. It stated, "The consistent Ken McKinlay..." I'm thinking 1, 3, 3, O, O, doesn't seem that consistent to me!

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Mine was the 1975 final. In fact  only went to two. 75 and 85

I was there too in 1975, my first world final and did the British riders championship at Bellvue same year, both on the Newport supporters bus with the Phil Crump fans

1983, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1992

1990 was probably the most entertaining. But it was great to see a British winner (Havelock) in Poland. 1983 and 1987 both pretty forgettable. The ride that stuck with me most though was Gundersen going round both Moran and King in 1985 in heat 20....the ride of a true champion. 

6 minutes ago, fatface said:

1983, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1992

1969, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1987 for me.

1963, 1965, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1981.