British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

Pits crew attire

6 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

But they are allowed a full team of mechanics  , a masseur and a mentor in a GP so what’s the difference ? Most club riders have two ‘assistants ‘ in their pit, are you going to tell Gary Havelock he can’t be a ‘mentor’ to Ben Trigger at Redcar?, or can’t be in the pits when a Poole is visiting ? You going to tell Glasgow they can’t have their full entourage of 12 hanging about in the pits ?

These days, you need to add in nutritionists, therapists, influencers...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, chunky said:

These days, you need to add in nutritionists, therapists, influencers...

You need 4 helmets cause god forbid you have to change a helmet colour between races and a rack to hang them on, a fridge for you energy drinks cause as we know health and fitness is important these days and nothing says health better than energy drinks and don’t forget your tin of snus, multiple clutch coolers and one special person to hold one infront of your face,  think it’s a matter of time before one rider has his music decks in his pit bay so he can “drop a few tracks”to help him relax before his races, you need to one member of your crew who arranged a flight to another track to stand there making sure he is in every TV shot, he has no mechanical knowledge whatsoever and doesn’t do a damn thing but when it is pointed out to him he has a list of excuses why he should be there, it goes on and on, maybe I was wrong?  each rider should have 20 pit crew each 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You need 4 helmets cause god forbid you have to change a helmet colour between races and a rack to hang them on, a fridge for you energy drinks cause as we know health and fitness is important these days and nothing says health better than energy drinks and don’t forget your tin of snus, multiple clutch coolers and one special person to hold one infront of your face,  think it’s a matter of time before one rider has his music decks in his pit bay so he can “drop a few tracks”to help him relax before his races, you need to one member of your crew who arranged a flight to another track to stand there making sure he is in every TV shot, he has no mechanical knowledge whatsoever and doesn’t do a damn thing but when it is pointed out to him he has a list of excuses why he should be there, it goes on and on, maybe I was wrong?  each rider should have 20 pit crew each 

And someone walking around the pits shouting...

"Does anyone need methanol?"!!!!;)

20 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Not really interested in what goes on in the GPs but league racing is getting too bloated for its own good, you only need one mechanic per rider, everyone else can watch from the terraces, British speedway long time problem is the sport being run by the riders for the riders and look where we are 

To some degree you are correct but perhaps you  have the old ‘rose tinted spectacles’ on as a former rider. Times have changed and we all know it’s not for the better. Riders have promoters by the round things, they have all the aces and dictate just about everything now which is why the sport is dying a slow death. The promoters hands are tied if they want to attract a very demanding crowd these days and it’s a catch 22 situation.

Having clowns who are self interested at the top isn’t going to change things.

• Like 1

+ someone to carry your kit bag, another holding a fan to your face to cool you down (Nicki P), Bruce Penhall commented "I never had that and I know what my mechanic would say if I'd asked him".  Prob "do it yourself", or similar ;)....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

20 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

league racing is getting too bloated for its own good, you only need one mechanic per rider,

You only need one bike per rider.

You only need one bike rack per rider (on the back of your Cortina).

You only need one tyre per rider (and a Stanley knife).

You only need one helmet per rider.

Those were the days...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

To some degree you are correct but perhaps you  have the old ‘rose tinted spectacles’ on as a former rider. Times have changed and we all know it’s not for the better. Riders have promoters by the round things, they have all the aces and dictate just about everything now which is why the sport is dying a slow death. The promoters hands are tied if they want to attract a very demanding crowd these days and it’s a catch 22 situation.

Having clowns who are self interested at the top isn’t going to change things.

Maybe I have got rose tinted glasses on but I am making my points as a fan not a rider or more closely a mechanic as I was for over 10 years, all the gear no idea doesn’t attract fans 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chunky said:

You only need one bike per rider.

You only need one bike rack per rider (on the back of your Cortina).

You only need one tyre per rider (and a Stanley knife).

You only need one helmet per rider.

Those were the days...

You do only need one bike and if they limited the revs down to 10,000 you would only need one tyre 

34 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You do only need one bike and if they limited the revs down to 10,000 you would only need one tyre 

Hi Dean, is there a foolproof way of limiting revs to 10,000, and what would be the effect on the racing ? I ask that because some years ago Lewis Bridger did a pre- Season warm up meeting on an upright and he got blown away by everyone mainly, I think he said, because he lacked acceleration out of the bends. I know everyone would be in the same situation but would it affect the spectacle do you think.?

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Hi Dean, is there a foolproof way of limiting revs to 10,000, and what would be the effect on the racing ? I ask that because some years ago Lewis Bridger did a pre- Season warm up meeting on an upright and he got blown away by everyone mainly, I think he said, because he lacked acceleration out of the bends. I know everyone would be in the same situation but would it affect the spectacle do you think.?

Yes, you can’t just limit it with a rev limiter, it has to be made so the actual engine can only reach 10,000, then put the rev limiter on, a maximum lift on the cam is one way and is not to hard to police either, the effect on the racing would of no detriment, would it make it better ? Who knows, up till around 2010 it was around 10,000 but in the last 14 years it has gone up and although hardly anybody hits the current limiter except maybe at the start line but it’s those extra revs which are killing the tyres, despite what people think and how it appears speedway in real speed terms is no faster than it was 40 years ago, I posted about this last year, at Sheffield the fastest time of the season was the same time as Chris Morton in 1985,Ricky ashworth still holds the track record there from 2010,  the speed has increased on the straights but the speed has decreased slightly in the corners but the back wheel speed has increased significantly but the bike speed hasn’t , it seems the faster the track the more the speed stays the same, 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it time for anyone working in the pits at a speedway meeting, to be required to conform to a dress code? Black seems to be the best, but instead of heavy metal bands tour t-shirts, plain polo shirts with "pits crew" on the back, plain black trousers or long shorts, and black shoes& socks (NO flip-flops allowed).

If BSPL could find a sponsor whose logo could be added, then it should be able to supply most of this kit (except shoes) free of charge via riders and promoters. 

This would help to portray a better image when matches are televised and to new spectators.

ABSOLUTELY !

Great idea. Couldn't agree more. i remember the professionalism in the past with track staff (and now hopefully pits staff too) Would be a great step forward to get sport projected well at the clubs and as said on TV.. I remember watching the presentation at Wimbledon back in the day (early 1970s) and with everything else being done there at the time and attention to detail it was very very impressive and all added to the show.

SGP are doing, it so should the Premiership too for starters. maybe a sponsor as Hamish said could be found for uniformity of kit for above at all clubs .

Edited by Goldhawk
addition

In an ideal world, yes it would look good for a riders pits crew to look smart / wear similar attire if more than one. The simple question is who's going to pay for it?

Plus what happens if a mechanic falls ill & a one-off replacement is needed? Do they have to pay for spare uniforms (in every size) or ban the mechanic if he's not in the correct attire?

No reason why pit crew attire should cost a lot. Traditional mechanic attire has always been one piece overalls. It’s not a fashion show. Relatively cheap and practical. Doesn’t matter what colour so long as each pit crew is the same. In hot weather standard men’s under garments would be ok. Sorted.

The teams should provide the shirts which are usually the equivalent of a sleeveless football top with a collar, if brought as a joblot from a local manufacturer would cost around £10 per shirt, buy all sizes, someone takes them home after a meeting and washes them and brings them to the next meeting; if a rider wants their own then tell them ok but they can only put their own sponsors on he arms and the main body design has to be the same as team ones, trousers or shorts must be black or navy blue work trousers which most mechanics wear anyway 

16 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

You do only need one bike

one of the annoying parts is seeing a rider with 2 bikes sitting in the pits, but if they have an issue with their first bike they are quick to jump on someone elses.

if the 2nd bike is there, use it, have it ready to go.

• Like 2