British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Premiership Media Day

Just now, Sir Sidney said:

And Tai's good point, about what gets the most views, is lost because of his delivery.

We all know all the key promoters of the past encouraged their riders to put on a show, to encourage apparent controversy. 

However, in my view, his inability to hardly speak a sentence without swearing has become the talking point - rather than the launch of the season in a more professional way.

Spot on!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

And Tai's good point, about what gets the most views, is lost because of his delivery.

We all know all the key promoters of the past encouraged their riders to put on a show, to encourage apparent controversy. 

However, in my view, his inability to hardly speak a sentence without swearing has become the talking point - rather than the launch of the season in a more professional way.

Spot on.

He had a good point, that a certain level of handbags and a bit of stage-managed fisticuffs is good for business as it causes controversy and excitement and publicity.

But Woffinden's foul mouth meant that the point was lost.   He just comes across as an unprofessional moron.

Surely Phil Morris has something in the contracts that anyone swearing in interviews is heavily fined just as professional footballers are.

Woffinden was the low point on what was otherwise a good media day.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

This.  I listened to Darren Fletcher (who I remember used to watch Long Eaton) and Phil Morris and then they handed to the gobsh1te, and I had to turn off after a couple of minutes of his arrogance. I knew then he was going to get worse, and reading your comments, that is what happened. 

Credit where it is due, the event/day is a brilliant step forward and well done Phil for making it a reality.  I am sure next seasons will be even better and even more professional. I have hosted events, and I feel ours got better every year because we always tried to learn from what didn't quite work. 

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 2

I think everybody knows that Woffinden is an absolute tool. So so unlikable. As expected, he spoiled that today. You could visibly see the other riders cringing. As others have said though, well done to Morris for putting this event on and giving it a good go.

• Like 3

Personally the swearing did not bother me but imagine if this was a Football, Cricket or Rugby Union media day, I get Tai has a outgoing personality and given this maybe Phil Morris should have had a word with the riders beforehand  to highlight that this is going out live. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Personally the swearing did not bother me but imagine if this was a Football, Cricket or Rugby Union media day, I get Tai has a outgoing personality and given this maybe Phil Morris should have had a word with the riders beforehand  to highlight that this is going out live. 

I've watched some of the live F1 presser's, generally they're turgid affairs, but occasionally there's language used, Fred Vasseur was rather fruity during the Las Vegas GP last year. 

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Well, I think he's very big and very clever :D

After all, we're all talking about him (again) and that's what he wants. How many of you can remember what everybody else had to say?

I must admit though I do like Jack Holder's style more, he's got the cheeky arrogance, with his finger waving and all that, just a little less X rated. 

Exactly! If anyone wants to annoy Tai, just ignore everything he says, he'd hate that! Just don't let him wind you up. 

1 hour ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Spot on.

He had a good point, that a certain level of handbags and a bit of stage-managed fisticuffs is good for business as it causes controversy and excitement and publicity.

But Woffinden's foul mouth meant that the point was lost.   He just comes across as an unprofessional moron.

Surely Phil Morris has something in the contracts that anyone swearing in interviews is heavily fined just as professional footballers are.

Totally agree.We love handbags,fisticuffs and controversy during an adrenaline filled meeting.When the adrenaline is running you can accept all this and a bit of swearing.But when you are in the environment they were in today i don't think there was any need for the language used by Woffinden.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Tai clearly has a very limited range of vocabulary to call on and expletives are a fundamental  part of his rudimentary language skills. I’m not sure he has the ability to behave much differently.

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, one of clubs said:

The guy is an effing clown

Language!

• Like 1

Unfortunately Tai is the last person you would want to front the sport where a professional and polished approach is required . An individual whose command of English does seem limited and apart from his skills of riding a speedway machine, he does nothing to raise profile of the sport and when it comes to U K speedway wanting a professional sports person to represent the sport he falls well short of acceptable standards and behaviour.  He has  let so many people down with his cavalier attitude. Can you imagine him on Sports Personality of the Year? God help speedway. He single handedly could do more harm to the sport in this country with his public image and that is saying something. Unfortunately no one will stand up to him and tell it as it is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

Unfortunately Tai is the last person you would want to front the sport where a professional and polished approach is required . An individual whose command of English does seem limited and apart from his skills of riding a speedway machine, he does nothing to raise profile of the sport and when it comes to U K speedway wanting a professional sports person to represent the sport he falls well short of acceptable standards and behaviour.  He has  let so many people down with his cavalier attitude. Can you imagine him on Sports Personality of the Year? God help speedway. He single handedly could do more harm to the sport in this country with his public image and that is saying something. Unfortunately no one will stand up to him and tell it as it is. 

Go watch lawn bowls I think.

It is speedway....not an interview for a place at Eton College.

Sport in general, including speedway needs to lose the utter nonsense that restricts characters due to them being polished robots to suit the corporate image of some brand sponsor.  We need characters like the days of James Hunt, Barry Sheene etc etc.   Sport should be breathing space from all the corporate crap that is forced down our neck every day.  Well done Tai Woffinden...more swearing please and stay real mate.

• Like 3

We need Davina McCall when Tai is about to start talking " you are live on (whenever the location is) please DO NOT swear..." :D