British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Premiership Media Day

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Always good for a few sound bites is Tai...

It is what  the sport (in this country) needs...

Some spice and tribalism to get the fans (and atmosphere), going...

I've always liked Tai up until a few years ago.He does try to up the profile of speedway.But why does he have to constantly swear at an event like this when,as Phil Morris said they are trying to make it look more professional here.The actual swearing doesn't bother me,i just worry about the impression it may give out to today's generation of people.I understand a few slips of the tongue from a few Poles or other nationalities where English isn't their first language.

I have really enjoyed this press conference though.

• Like 5

Best wishes to the Doyle family.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I've always liked Tai up until a few years ago.He does try to up the profile of speedway.But why does he have to constantly swear at an event like this when,as Phil Morris said they are trying to make it look more professional here.The actual swearing doesn't bother me,i just worry about the impression it may give out to today's generation of people.I understand a few slips of the tongue from a few Poles or other nationalities where English isn't their first language.

Perhaps if there is another broadcast live conference and also when being interviewed during live streamed meetings riders should be told beforehand to moderate their language, surely they can discuss/make comments without the swearing then they would come across as more professional.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Always good for a few sound bites is Tai...

It is what  the sport (in this country) needs...

Some spice and tribalism to get the fans (and atmosphere), going...

It's not a complaint. Every sport needs characters like his... I'm just not a fan of characters like his... He's not taking this press conference seriously at all (the video where they're all stood in a line on the back row of the stand, he's the only one who didn't look at the camera, he decided it was more important to be talking to the rider next to him instead) it makes all the hard work that everyone put into this event look worse off and it's a little disrespectful honestly... Haven't liked him for years, his attitude stinks and everyone loves to blow smoke up his arse which makes it worse!!

• Like 5

Well, I think he's very big and very clever :D

After all, we're all talking about him (again) and that's what he wants. How many of you can remember what everybody else had to say?

I must admit though I do like Jack Holder's style more, he's got the cheeky arrogance, with his finger waving and all that, just a little less X rated. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Tai Woffinden's comment of the rest of the league looks like they're gonna go have fun but no one is better than Sheffield so they're gonna win it again... Wow right in front of everyone. He's not got much respect has he. Hopefully every single number 1 and 5 in the league comes and batters him every week.....

He was obnoxious as a teenager (had experience of him swearing in front of young kids at Arlington for no reason ), and he's never changed really. 

Edited by gazzac

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

Perhaps if there is another broadcast live conference and also when being interviewed during live streamed meetings riders should be told beforehand to moderate their language, surely they can discuss/make comments without the swearing then they would come across as more professional.  

I think certain riders can't help it, it's become their norm. 

59 minutes ago, iainb said:

After all, we're all talking about him (again) and that's what he wants. How many of you can remember what everybody else had to say?

I must admit though I do like Jack Holder's style more, he's got the cheeky arrogance, with his finger waving and all that, just a little less X rated. 

Yes we are talking about him,but it is the existing fans that are doing this.Will this sort of behaviour encourage the next generation which is what he should be encouraging to come?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iainb said:

Yes, we are talking about him when the idea was to launch the British season in a new and professional way.

How many media outlets or sponsors would now be able to use that content? None I suspect. 

Edited by Sir Sidney
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

It's his Australian upbringing...:D

Well done to Phil and the team. Whilst not perfect massive step in the right direction for the sport in this country long may it continue. All the best to all teams through out the season especially the Loins.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Yes we are talking about him,but it is the existing fans that are doing this.Will this sort of behaviour encourage the next generation which is what he should be encouraging to come?

Depends, what kind of generation we're trying to attract, does this sort of language resonate with the yoof? I don't know, with the best will in the world though, Woffy is now a middle aged man.

Just now, iainb said:

Depends, what kind of generation we're trying to attract, does this sort of language resonate with the yoof? I don't know, with the best will in the world though, Woffy is now a middle aged man.

Well, I suspect most of us were taken to speedway by a parent or adult when we were not old enough to go on our own to start with. I'd suggest that is a fairly big market that Oxford, for example, have been very high profile about targeting, and where swearing will not be prevalent.

Would any other youth or older potential supporters who may well swear themselves have been put off if the press conference hadn't involved swearing? I doubt it

The sport is trying to relaunch its self over here, to be more professional, to appeal to the media and to gain more sponsors. On balance I suspect the number put off by a top rider swearing regularly on camera will exceed those who are attracted. If not, why don't the stars of all sports swear on camera as a matter of course? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Well, I suspect most of us were taken to speedway by a parent or adult when we were not old enough to go on our own to start with. I'd suggest that is a fairly big market that Oxford, for example, have been very high profile about targeting, and where swearing will not be prevalent.

Would any other youth or older potential supporters who may well swear themselves have been put off if the press conference hadn't involved swearing? I doubt it

The sport is trying to relaunch its self over here, to be more professional, to appeal to the media and to gain more sponsors. On balance I suspect the number put off by a top rider swearing regularly on camera will exceed those who are attracted. If not, why don't the stars of all sports swear on camera as a matter of course? 

Personally, I couldn't agree with you more, but... they do say any publicity is good publicity, rightly or wrongly. It was even mentioned during the conference, actually in Woffy's F bomb outburst bit, that the Emil/Nicholls handbags was the most viewed Speedway content online.

People often say, do the talking on the track, but as Woffy doesn't seem to be able to do this anymore, he has to resort to more and more extreme tactics to gain some attention, don't forget he attacked a fan last year, shame he couldn't follow that up with a profound announcement like "When seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" :D

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Personally, I couldn't agree with you more, but... they do say any publicity is good publicity, rightly or wrongly. It was even mentioned during the conference, actually in Woffy's F bomb outburst bit, that the Emil/Nicholls handbags was the most viewed Speedway content online.

And Tai's good point, about what gets the most views, is lost because of his delivery.

We all know all the key promoters of the past encouraged their riders to put on a show, to encourage apparent controversy. 

However, in my view, his inability to hardly speak a sentence without swearing has become the talking point - rather than the launch of the season in a more professional way.

• Like 7