British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Oxford Cheetahs BSN Good Friday

A week today (weather Permitting) the Pirates open their season with the visit of the Oxford Cheetahs .

Looking forward to seeing  Max Perry and Sam Hagon and hope it doesn't take long for them to get dialled in around Wimborne Road.

With the Poole team my only real concern is  Tobias Thomson but will give him time to see if he can perform at championship level.

Hopefully we can start off with a win although Oxford will be no pushovers with Sam Masters and Scott Nicholls in their team.

Thoughts.

Am I correct that the admission price is up £1 to £20 this season??

6 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

Yes, still cheaper than most!

40 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

33 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes, still cheaper than most!

Don't understand how teams can lower the points limit but still put up prices?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

While I agree with your premise, I can't imagine we said to Harris you'll need to take a 5% pay cut because the leagues point limit gone down 5%. Ditto Poole with cook and Lawson, Edinburgh to Pickering etc. so a 50-40 win will cost them the same if not more this season than last. Should the promoters have cut their cloth accordingly..  probably but we all know they won't.

Throw in the costs to run will have gone up with electricity and gas as a start then I'm not shocked that prices will rise. 

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

33 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

While I agree with your premise, I can't imagine we said to Harris you'll need to take a 5% pay cut because the leagues point limit gone down 5%. Ditto Poole with cook and Lawson, Edinburgh to Pickering etc. so a 50-40 win will cost them the same if not more this season than last. Should the promoters have cut their cloth accordingly..  probably but we all know they won't.

Throw in the costs to run will have gone up with electricity and gas as a start then I'm not shocked that prices will rise. 

Technically promoters have a right to suggest that, as riders should score more points than last season (without improving), due to a weaker league. 

If every promoter did it, it could work, but we know that'll never happen.

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Technically promoters have a right to suggest that, as riders should score more points than last season (without improving), due to a weaker league. 

So every team is 'weaker', so 'riders should score more points'???

If only admission prices were based purely on rider points!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

What about the electricity, water rates, council/rent rates, first aid fees etc, they certainly won’t have seen a decrease.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

At the end of the day there is still only 90 points to be scored at a meeting.

Usual old chestnut about admission charges, Everything else has gone up but for some people speedway promoters are expected to somehow absorb their increased costs.

• Like 6

Which is absolutely fine as long as we don't hear promoters moaning during the season that not enough folk are coming through the turnstiles.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

15 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

What about the electricity, water rates, council/rent rates, first aid fees etc, they certainly won’t have seen a decrease.

11 hours ago, Toady said:

Usual old chestnut about admission charges, Everything else has gone up but for some people speedway promoters are expected to somehow absorb their increased costs.

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Which is absolutely fine as long as we don't hear promoters moaning during the season that not enough folk are coming through the turnstiles.

To reply to @allthegearbutnaeidea & @Toady I totally get your point, but while you make a fair point about fans expecting promoters to absorb their increased costs. I could turn it around & say why do promoters expect fans to absorb the increased costs?

As @Bagpuss suggests there will always be a price that some find acceptable and others don't. It could be going from £19 to £20 maybe not. If all the fans turn up, then it's a good decision. If they get fans picking & choosing matches more due to price increases, could go against them.

Edited by szkocjasid

18 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Some good points made. To reply to @Skidder1 & @Fromafar I realise admission it's not only decided by the amount of points riders score. But if Oxford have weakened (assuming Killeen will be on a lower payrate than Kerr was) that's a saving on last year. Weaker riders must be cheaper, otherwise the Prem, Champ & NL would have the same costs (extreme example I know). So my suggestion would be, if you pay 6 riders the same but replacing a heat leader witb a reserve, should help offset any cost increases?

To reply to @allthegearbutnaeidea & @Toady I totally get your point, but while you make a fair point about fans expecting promoters to absorb their increased costs. I could turn it around & say why do promoters expect fans to absorb the increased costs?

As @Bagpuss suggests there will always be a price that some find acceptable and others don't. It could be going from £19 to £20 maybe not. If all the fans turn up, then it's a good decision. If they get fans picking & choosing matches more due to price increases, could go against them.

Most Championship clubs were charging £20 last season, whereas Poole was £19. So am surprised there is a debate about it (we are just catching up!) Maybe they need the extra pound from everyone to cover costs more.

They said publicly that season tickets have been going really well, so maybe not that much picking and choosing! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Most Championship clubs were charging £20 last season, whereas Poole was £19. So am surprised there is a debate about it (we are just catching up!) Maybe they need the extra pound from everyone to cover costs more.

They said publicly that season tickets have been going really well, so maybe not that much picking and choosing! 

I've been talking more about Oxford than Poole, so some of my points aren't relevant.

They'll always be a debate on a forum re prices. Simply because not everyone will agree.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1