British Speedway Forum

It was a good meeting to watch though not much overtaking, Birmingham put in a good effort to take the points, but in the end were beaten by 2 GP riders showing there ability this will be the Brummies weak spot at the end of meetings, very impressed with Milik and Flint, and feel there will be more and better to come from Cook and Worrall, my biggest concern would be Lampart, however it's early days and not fair to judge on this meeting, Brum are one top heat leader short of being challengers sort that out and they will be up there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

It was a good meeting to watch though not much overtaking, Birmingham put in a good effort to take the points, but in the end were beaten by 2 GP riders showing there ability this will be the Brummies weak spot at the end of meetings, very impressed with Milik and Flint, and feel there will be more and better to come from Cook and Worrall, my biggest concern would be Lampart, however it's early days and not fair to judge on this meeting, Brum are one top heat leader short of being challengers sort that out and they will be up there.

What was the size of the crowd.???

Sheffield fans on social media hailing the comeback should look at why they needed to make that comeback and getting a draw at the possibly weakest side isn’t exactly a good result 

Holder snr has been poor either winning or last and 9 points from 8 rides is a shocking return for a third heat leader. Couple this with the fact the reserves are one of the weakest and Jack isn’t flying yet means it’s been a poor start for Sheffield 

But well done Birmingham a backs against the wall jobs and a good result 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pauldoveyspeedway said:

What was the size of the crowd.???

Largest it has been for over 10 years ... Very Very encouraging . I am guessing here but it must be around the break even figure the promoters often talk about ..

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Sheffield fans on social media hailing the comeback should look at why they needed to make that comeback and getting a draw at the possibly weakest side isn’t exactly a good result 

Holder snr has been poor either winning or last and 9 points from 8 rides is a shocking return for a third heat leader. Couple this with the fact the reserves are one of the weakest and Jack isn’t flying yet means it’s been a poor start for Sheffield 

Brummies deserve credit they had a big point to prove to the doubters they were well fired up, never seen Flint ride that well before and every rider showed potential. 
10 points down after 4 races and gating like they were it was looking bad for us, It was a good comeback and 2 points on board. Chris would admit himself it’s not been the best of starts his gating was very poor last night but he’s defo been on the pace. 

Sheffields team is built to win big at home and claim bonus points. So far I can see us taking both bonus points from Oxford and Brum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Agreed, while hailing an amazing comeback, they are glossing over the fact why they were so far behind possibly the least fancied team in Premiership history.

That being said they got the 2 points & have a guaranteed win & BP in the return leg, so no damage done to their play-offs aspirations.

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Agreed, while hailing an amazing comeback, they are glossing over the fact why they were so far behind possibly the least fancied team in Premiership history.

I'm not so sure that's true the Kings Lynn & Peterborough teams of last year are capable of giving them a run for their money.  And the Oxford team which saw their sad demise which had Jesper B Jensen as #1.  I'm sure there are more.

23 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

6 minutes ago, Col said:

I'm not so sure that's true the Kings Lynn & Peterborough teams of last year are capable of giving them a run for their money.  And the Oxford team which saw their sad demise which had Jesper B Jensen as #1. I'm sure there are more.

I'm just meant Premiership, Oxford were previously in the Elite League. Lets say 99% of people think Birmingham will finish bottom, if Lynn & Peterborough were both terribly fancied, then 50% of fans would have picked them for the wooden spoon.

I can't remember a team were virtually everyone has them for bottom.

4 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm just meant Premiership, Oxford were previously in the Elite League.  Lets say 99% of people think Birmingham will finish bottom, if Lynn & Peterborough were both terribly fancied, then 50% of fans would have picked them for the wooden spoon.

Nitpicking.  There have been equally unfancied teams as this Brummies septet in the top tier history of British Speedway, when I was a youngster Swindon seemed to have a tight grip on the top tier wooden spoon!  I'm sure they didn't and I can't be bothered to look back through history books.
As many people would have thought last years Stars & P'boro teams could qualify for the playoffs as this Brummies team.  Which makes them equally as fancied.

Birmingham lost due to poor team management. 

Zach Cook should have replaced Victor Lampart in heat 12 with nothing to lose after a smart move by Simon Stead.

It could be costly long term by poor team management choices.

Use the reserves for what the are intended to be used for.

51 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That being said they got the 2 points & have a guaranteed win & BP in the return leg, so no damage done to their play-offs aspirations.

Plus its very early days, I always think it takes a few meetings for men and machines to get into a rhythm. In an ideal world we would spar like Poland do so that everyone is in the full swing of things when league matches begin. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Regardless of whether or not sheff are one of the favourites they were away from home and to come back like they did deserves praise,two meetings into the season and they get dissed at every opportunity.speedways a tough sport as it is,tigers will start to show the form they are capable of make no mistake..i personally don't think there are any so called "weak teams" at all this season and think it's going to be a lot closer than people think,which I hope it is as it makes it much more exciting.

Edited by Moranboys
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moranboys said:

Regardless of whether or not sheff are one of the favourites they were away from home and to come back like they did deserves praise,two meetings into the season and they get dissed at every opportunity.speedways a tough sport as it is,tigers will start to show the form they are capable of make no mistake..i personally don't think there are any so called "weak teams" at all this season and think it's going to be a lot closer than people think,which I hope it is as it makes it much more exciting.

Lots can and will happen between now and Sept / playoffs etc. but we don't need anyone to do a Kings Lynn from last season and be so far behind its over for them halfway through the season.

When you are ten points up at home not to get the win seems little careless but Sheffield do have a very strong top two (like Ipswich)

I intially felt Birmingham will struggle and that will mean a dip in the crowds (they need good results now to keep the crowds interested) but this result is encouraging from their perspective. Sheffield have 2 top riders - Tai seems to be starting the seeason really well - Jack will probably be stronger at Owlerton than away from home but even so there is enough there to suggest they will be in the mix come playoffs.

I rather suspect than JP and CH will swap positions sometime after the first set of averages changes.

One final question how was the superheat received? It has its critics but the one i witnessed was exciting and well received by the crowd!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

4 hours ago, Gavan said:

Yes quite right, just like at Oxford, where a poor start for the Tigers cost them dearly. Last night they got the two points but it was far closer than it should have been.

The way the Tigers team is constructed the heat leaders need to perform consistently well especially away from home.