British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Berwick Border Trophy 31/03/24 3pm

40 minutes ago, paul84 said:

I only care when he wears blue and white and so far for me not done that and has had a positive start.

Were you in the portaloo queue during heat 13

Unless it was an Aussie called "the next darcy ward"

Well that certain aussie came from a fair bit back in 4th place to win, blasting round the outside was a joy to watch 

• Like 2

We can all be negative at times but in Speedway  and life in general it is far healthier to concentrate and celebrate the positives.

It is all to easy to criticise and I have been guilty myself but it is important to support riders and the team as a whole , even more so when they may go through a difficult time.

Breaking news: Riders are human beings .

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Catalan said:

Is that not true of most riders?

Of course it is, but for riders of similar ability these variables hugely contribute to who beats who.

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Some on here have been saying for quite a while now that Promoters should be Promoting the sport.

Workington bring in a female rider and are accused of it being a PR stunt.  They just can't win, can they?

Well said Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i think Tate came with  the gold seal from Darcy Ward !

7 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

i think Tate came with  the gold seal from Darcy Ward !

Tate looks decent prospect.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Some on here have been saying for quite a while now that Promoters should be Promoting the sport.

Workington bring in a female rider and are accused of it being a PR stunt.  They just can't win, can they?

I think the general consensus is it’s generated a lot of interest purely because she’s a woman but say for example they had signed Adam Roynon there wouldn’t be half the interest there’s been for Celina so you could call it a bit of a pr stunt I’d say it’s got people talking and social media and other outlets have taken an interest in this signing… Look at the facts though she’s had 13 rides to date in 3 meetings and she’s scored 2 points there are so many unemployed riders who could’ve scored that and better and that’s a fact it’s nothing to do with her gender. 

Edited by bloom89
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

I think the general consensus is it’s generated a lot of interest purely because she’s a woman but say for example they had signed Adam Roynon there wouldn’t be half the interest there’s been for Celina so you could call it a bit of a pr stunt I’d say it’s got people talking and social media and other outlets have taken an interest in this signing… Look at the facts though she’s had 13 rides to date in 3 meetings and she’s scored 2 points there are so many unemployed riders who could’ve scored that and better and that’s a fact it’s nothing to do with her gender. 

Surly you can't count the Peter craven meeting,  she got invited and took the gig, several others in the premiership and championship would not score against the level of riders in that meeting . Also was leading Rory for 2 laps at northside,  and Rory has 15 years more experience 

Posted (edited)

Do we know for sure that Worky actively saught out Fraulein Libmann, for publicity etc, or was it a case of "well she's available, we need to build an asset base, let's give her a try", serious question.  In the pics shown she is with other riders at some point, not just on her own say miles behind, but it depends where she finishes in races.  Hoped to see her her at Scunny last Friday, didn' t happen of course & I couldn't make it anyway, but agree, as with each & every other rider; give her so many meetings then look at a replacement if she isn't scoring or at least improving....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling x2

Think she Just needs to gate better which is the hardest part  

I think you lot are getting in a disagreement when both are right.

Yes, comets knew what they were doing when signing a female rider. They knew it would bring good publicity and they've acted on that too. The celina merch at the practice session was the only merch advertised over the speakers. Why? Because they know it'll bring in strong custom.

However, they wouldn't have signed her if they didn't think she was good enough. She's obviously shown good signs and that coupled with being female helped seal the deal for comets.

Whether it will turn out to be good or not is still to be seen. She's came in as a 4 pt average but so far she's clearly been the worse rider of the team. Young Sam has shown much more both home and away in the first two games.

not much between sam and celina . bothare good enough to push on in 2024 .

sam has a small advantage of having 1 extra season while celena has never seen some tracks  beforeboth will improve as the season goes on .after all celina led rory for 2 laps before being passed and celine passed bourke (spelling) on the last bend and never gives up on the chase . much to the delight of fans ariund this wonderful areana .

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Neila said:

Surly you can't count the Peter craven meeting,  she got invited and took the gig, several others in the premiership and championship would not score against the level of riders in that meeting . Also was leading Rory for 2 laps at northside,  and Rory has 15 years more experience 

Race lasts for 4 laps though , so what’s your point.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 4