British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

King's Lynn v Birmingham 04/04/24

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It wouldn't, but years ago bikes could be ridden in any conditions, riders were prepared to ride in any conditions and the public turned up in any conditions. 

It's frustrating but I'd much rather an early call than pay to get in and see Buster going round and round with the blade while fourteen riders who have no intention of riding anyway stand about with arms folded looking miserably at the track and the sky. Been there, done that too many times.

Totally agree with your post and like you been there done that and when you see the blade out you know it’s going to be a rubbish meeting so well done to the management for calling this off early

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Wow....forecast doesn't look that threatening on the met office for tomorrow?

Guess the foreign riders dictate things these days (travelling etc...,)

This is a good point, I suspect the risk of paying to fly riders in for a second rain off in eight days was too great to take.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Wow....forecast doesn't look that threatening on the met office for tomorrow?

Guess the foreign riders dictate things these days (travelling etc...,)

I never know which forecast to look at.Very often I've  used the met office and BBc and quite often their forecasts change regularly the closer they get to the day.The times they have both got my hopes up only to be let down by their updated forecasts nearer the time of a meeting.

Does anyone know or think they know which is the best weather app to use.Currently i am using wetter.com but that's pretty much the same.

Edit:Been a lot of rain here on the outskirts of Wisbech overnight.Maybe the same over Lynn?

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I never know which forecast to look at.Very often I've  used the met office and BBc and quite often their forecasts change regularly the closer they get to the day.The times they have both got my hopes up only to be let down by their updated forecasts nearer the time of a meeting.

Does anyone know or think they know which is the best weather app to use.Currently i am using wetter.com but that's pretty much the same.

Edit:Been a lot of rain here on the outskirts of Wisbech overnight.Maybe the same over Lynn?

Met Office app the best in my experience, and certainly much more accurate than the BBC one.

It was always said that Buster used RAF Marham weather station for his forecasts, I assume that's still the case. 

Forecast this morning looks a fair bit worse than it did last night so perhaps the club ha e got it spot on.

Edited by Bagpuss

13 hours ago, TTT said:

LMAO!

Put out social media posts just after 2:00 PM promoting tomorrow's meeting.

Put out more social media posts just before 5:00 PM postponing tomorrow's meeting.

This is one for Speedway Shambles on X/Twitter.

I imagine the 2 o clock post was arranged a few days ago and scheduled for that time. What are they supposed to do, not advertise the meeting at all?

• Like 3

Currently lashing it down here. 

Disappointing it’s another call off but tbh think they’ve got it spot on with the call again. 

• Like 1

It's always a damned if you do/don't scenario....as a kid I'd have been gutted...but, as an 'old-git', financial costs, plus entertainment value are more prevalent, so 'caution' always wins the day for me.

A nostalgic memory....

As a 7 year old (1974) my dad took me to watch B'ham away at Barrow...(mid-week- 350 mile round trip) only for it to be called off when we got there ! :D

Madness/passion/dedication....take your pick! :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, therefused said:

I imagine the 2 o clock post was arranged a few days ago and scheduled for that time. What are they supposed to do, not advertise the meeting at all?

It's also possible that the forecast they use deteriorated in those three hours. 

44 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

It's always a damned if you do/don't scenario....as a kid I'd have been gutted...but, as an 'old-git', financial costs, plus entertainment value are more prevalent, so 'caution' always wins the day for me.

A nostalgic memory....

As a 7 year old (1974) my dad took me to watch B'ham away at Barrow...(mid-week- 350 mile round trip) only for it to be called off when we got there ! :D

Madness/passion/dedication....take your pick! :D

I think we've all done something like that. In the very early 1960's 4 of us drove a similar distance  in a very ancient Austin Sheerline which did about 20mpg to Poole for meeting , only to be greeted at the carpark entrance by an attendant who explained the meeting had been called off.:)

As for madness/passion/dedication? I would say all three.:D

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tellboy said:

Before the day itself I don’t think there is a forecaster that is more reliable than any of the others. The BBC seem to be very pessimistic with sometimes rain nearly all day, everyday. Of course given the current weather they will be right a fair bit of the time. I would say the Met Office is a bit less pessimistic and they seem to forecast less rain than the BBC.

On the day itself I use AccuWeather as I find a combination of their rainfall radar and minutecast to be quite useful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Always liked Super Shane, top bloke although never rode for my team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WembleyLion said:

Before the day itself I don’t think there is a forecaster that is more reliable than any of the others. The BBC seem to be very pessimistic with sometimes rain nearly all day, everyday. Of course given the current weather they will be right a fair bit of the time. I would say the Met Office is a bit less pessimistic and they seem to forecast less rain than the BBC.

On the day itself I use AccuWeather as I find a combination of their rainfall radar and minutecast to be quite useful.

I’m the same as you on the day Accuweather radar and minutecast are pretty good guide.Its difficult for Promotions these days as they know the riders will always want it off if track slightly dodgy or rain falling.I don’t even leave the house now if there is a cloud in the sky after a dull day.

I use Metcheck for my weather checks. Got it 100 pc spot on for the Leicester match. My hotel was cancelled early in day, long before announcement came.

7 hours ago, therefused said:

Yes considering they knew that the meeting wasn't going ahead because of the track conditions from last weeks weather.