British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Berwick v Glasgow , BSN thingy , 6/4/24 @7pm

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, screm said:

For those who are only reading this thread and didn't attend the meeting, it hard to believe but there was an actual meeting with racing and with bikes on track. 

Crazy.:blink:

Why is it "crazy"?  It's a (pretty large) part of what went on on Saturday night.

It's a bit like, if the BSF was thing then, going back to the 90's, talking about the Berwick vs Belle Vue meeting (the one where the Aces failed to show up at Berrington Lough) and just saying that Berwick tracked 2 riders and rode around until they couldn't be caught scorewise!

You can't just ignore it.

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Why is it "crazy"?  It's a (pretty large) part of what went on on Saturday night.

It's a bit like, if the BSF was thing then, going back to the 90's, talking about the Berwick vs Belle Vue meeting (the one where the Aces failed to show up at Berrington Lough) and just saying that Berwick tracked 2 riders and rode around until they couldn't be caught scorewise!

You can't just ignore it.

We have explored every angle and evidence of the situation surrounding the test undertaking by Complin last Saturday. Maybe its time to leave to the powers that be to investigate and come to their conclusion whatever that may be.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If all 14 riders were checked before every meeting, there would definitely be a shortage of riders after a few matches.

Edited by proud panther
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

Why are we waiting until 1 HR before the potential dangerous rider is at the tapes to test them?

Why are we only testing 28% of the riders at a meeting?

On the first question, gates open for riders two hours before a meeting. It would be pointless to test them before they go to a meeting (they could just take a banned substance after the test, then go to the meeting!), and that only leaves a small window before the meeting starts. You test them before the meeting rather than after, because it’s a safety issue. This is different than to say, athletics, where safety isn’t such a big concern in, say, the 100m, where you run in your own lane.

On the second question, I do agree it seems a bit daft not to test everyone when you’ve bothered to send someone to do the testing (side note: remember, the testing costs more than just the cost of the test itself - you have to account for people and processing). It also gives people the opportunity to argue others might have been caught if only they’d been tested too! In athletics, they usually test the podium positions and then others are random, but that’s because it’s done after the event.

I personally don’t have a problem with the way the rules are set up right now. It’s a preventable problem. And even if you could get a different rider in, who would come in on a 3.50 average and do much better than Ace did?

The only other solution I can think of that hasn’t been floated is to just not test, but I’m not convinced that’s a great strategy!

Posted (edited)

Off the topic of random drug testing and the outrageous wait time for a portion of chips, who is the centre green announcer at Shielfield?

Not the young guy who works for BSN (although he was great), but the other guy.

He observed one of Harris’ wins as ”three points for the little fat man” and credited the man responsible for the coin toss as being ”a great tosser”. Tremendous.:lol:

I’m also certain he had a bet on with one of his mates. He was due twenty quid if he could mention the two minute time allowance for each heat at least a thousand times.:lol:

Edited by TheWellBehavedWorrall

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Off the topic of random drug testing and the outrageous wait time for a portion of chips, who is the centre green announcer at Shielfield?

He observed one of Harris’ wins as ”three points for the little fat man” and credited the man responsible for the coin toss as being ”a great tosser”. Tremendous.:lol:

I’m also certain he had a bet on with one of his mates. He was due twenty quid if he could mention the two minute time allowance for each heat at least a thousand times.:lol:

Greg Blair is the young guy and everybody knows the Old Guy or he thinks they do.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Greg Blair is the young guy and everybody knows the Old Guy or he thinks they do.

I thought they were good entertainment.

I recognised the young guy from BSN’s coverage, I think. I’m 90% sure it’s the guy I’m thinking about. Scottish accent?

He’s got the right blend and balance of professional and humour. If he’s involved in a meeting on BSN, he adds value. I hope he’s covering the Belle Vue versus Leicester meeting tonight.

1 minute ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

I thought they were good entertainment.

I recognised the young guy from BSN’s coverage, I think. I’m 90% sure it’s the guy I’m thinking about. Scottish accent?

He’s got the right blend and balance of professional and humour. If he’s involved in a meeting on BSN, he adds value. I hope he’s covering the Belle Vue versus Leicester meeting tonight.

Dick Barrie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

We have explored every angle and evidence of the situation surrounding the test undertaking by Complin last Saturday. Maybe its time to leave to the powers that be to investigate and come to their conclusion whatever that may be.

Anyone who thinks that, can simply stop reading the posts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

You can`t be serious.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Dick Barrie

Is it? I genuinely didn’t know that. I’m sure I’ve been seeing Dick Barrie‘s name in Speedway Stars and programmes since the 90s, but I’ve never actually saw him.

4 minutes ago, screm said:

You can`t be serious.

Deadly. I hung around after the meeting for an autograph, a selfie and a calf massage.

• Haha 4

The “young guy off BSN” was Greg Blair. Didn’t hear the comments about the little fat man, but I was probably annoyed because having waited 30 minutes for my chips, they got cold really quickly and some of them got blown away in the wind!

16 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

The “young guy off BSN” was Greg Blair. Didn’t hear the comments about the little fat man, but I was probably annoyed because having waited 30 minutes for my chips, they got cold really quickly and some of them got blown away in the wind!

That queue was brutal. The ladies running the snack bar were grafting away, so no criticism, but I ended up just giving chips a miss. I stood for about 25 minutes and wasn’t even close to the front.

6 hours ago, screm said:

For those who are only reading this thread and didn't attend the meeting, it hard to believe but there was an actual meeting with racing and with bikes on track. 

Crazy.:blink:

Spot on Screm 

Hardly read much about meeting at all

Rest just keeps repeating on itself 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

More conspiracy that’s got to be up there as one of the stupidest posts.

Brilliant.

Thanks for confirming my post. If you had left it after your first two lines it would have been a decent post. The last line was hypocritical and stupidest  - more stupid. You totally contradicted yourself. Not so brilliant. Have a great evening. 

• Haha 2