British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP 1st round Gorican Saturday 27th April

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Is it just me or has the SGP series become horrifically stale? 

Apart from Lambert.I just can't engage with these rider's, they just bore me.

The whole thing needs a freshen up imo

That's fine. Get rid of Zmarzlik, Holder, Bewley etc...

Well those predicting Jason Doyle’s demise in the series might have been a bit premature! - but it’s a long series so let’s see - based on tonight Woffindens days in the series might be numbered - but better tracks might yield different results! 

Jack Holder certainly the best in show tonight! 

fairly routine and largely dull event tho 

Would help the racing if you could get a more even starting gate, thou most are the same, nearly always one shocking gate.

• Like 1

A smattering of decent heats, right winner, best on show tonight.

• Like 2

Enjoyed the meeting.  Gate 4 was awful which is not good, but most races had a bit of incident.  Not saying that this was a cracker by any means, but still enjoyed it. :t:

Have seen worse GP's. The track seemed to change quite a few times and those with experience dealt with that best, but generally if you were left behind you were screwed.

Holder a very worthy winner, hopefully he can stop it being a one horse race.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Really can't understand the point of the scoring system, for example Woffinden 3 points = 1 GP point. 

If Woffy had fallen off instead of winning one race, he'd still score the same single point!

Then you have Kvech, Wozniak & Vaculik all scoring 6 points, but Vaculik gets 2 more GP points than Kvech - is this really the best they can come up with?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 4

For sure, no rider can complain about their gates, Jack Holder had 2 grid fours in the heats & top scored.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Really can't understand the point of the scoring system, for example Woffinden 3 points = 1 GP point. 

If Woffy had fallen off instead of winning one race, he'd still score the same single point!

Then you have Kvech, Wozniak & Vaculik all scoring 6 points, but Vaculik gets 2 more GP points than Kvech - is this really the best they can come up with?

Must admit it was better when ALL points counted.....

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Personally I thought it was a pretty decent GP, above average in fact compared to recent years. It may not be racing for the purist, but the way the bikes and tracks are riders seem to have to be pretty extreme to make any moves and use the ruts, it certainly makes for entertainment and the FIM don't seem to be in any hurry to tone the bikes down. Heat 15 was purist stuff and a great race!

None of the noobs disgraced themselves and probably did at least as good as some of the journeyman that have been cast aside this year with maybe Huckenbeck being the stand out. 

Maybe the reason a lot of the field don't resonate with some is because we just don't get to see most of them regularly in this country anymore?

As for Woffy, for me he's at the stage of his career where he's quite comparable to Doyley and the contrast between the 2 is blindingly obvious to see, just the body language on the bike, Doyley looks as though he'd do almost anything to get back to the top, his semi final 2nd place was all you needed to see, brilliant stuff, Woffy... I can see him retiring from Speedway at the end of the year. 

Well done to Jack Holder, very impressive,  I like his style, just the right amount of arrogance without going over the top with it and he's able to back it up unlike Woffy these days.  

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

GP points

20 J Holder

18 Doyle

16 Lindgren

14 Zmarzlik

12 Lambert

11 Huckenbeck

10 Madsen

9 Kubera

8 Michelsen

7 Vaculik

6 Wozniak

5 Kvech

4 Lebedevs

3 Bewley

2 Zagar

1 Woffinden

• Thanks 1

A decent meeting with some excellent speedway. So good to see someone other than Zmarzlik winning.

Lambert sadly went backwards in his last 2 important heats but well done to Holder.

Track got rougher as the meeting went on and glad that gate 4 came good in the last 2 important heats, Freddie made good use of it in the final.

Woffy looked completely disinterested pulling up when at the back is a pet hate of mine.

Bewley has speed but gets lost in traffic.

3 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Bewley has speed but gets lost in traffic.

He was also out wide looking for grip when there wasn't any...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andout said:

Must admit it was better when ALL points counted.....

I will say this again; at least this system guarantees that the GP winner gets the most points!

I HATE when people do this, but here's how it WOULD have looked under the old system (with comparison in brackets)...

18 - Holder (-2)
14 - Zmarzlik (=)
12 - Lambert (=)
12 - Doyle (-6)
11 - Huckenbeck (=)
11 - Lindgren (-5)
  9 - Madsen (-1)
  8 - Kubera (-1)
  7 - Michelsen (-1)
  6 - Vaculik (-1)
  6 - Wozniak (=)
  6 - Kvech (+1)