British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

European U 23 team Championships qualifying round Pardubice Saturday 20th April

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Some of our lads do appear to have a bigger expectation of them than maybe their capability level would currently warrant...

Messrs Screen, Loram, Woffinden, Lambert and Bewley were, whilst well under 21, beating world level heat leaders regularly...

Wouldn't be a bad thing to lower expectation, and therefore pressure, on these lads..

If they reach HL level in Div 2 and No6/SS level in Div 1, it will be an achievement...

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

None of the current crop could hold a candle to the names you have mentioned.Like I said we do not have a great deal of international level youngsters at present.

I agree with both posts.

The main problem seems to be that the current crop actually think they are better than what they are and have achieved nothing at present.

What's all this ranting and raving based on? Was anybody expecting us to go over and beat the Czechs in their own back yard?

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

What's all this ranting and raving based on? Was anybody expecting us to go over and beat the Czechs in their own back yard?

Actually, YES.

Just consider the amount of meetings and different tracks the GB have visited so far this year.

Not as many opportunities for the Czech riders!

On 4/21/2024 at 2:03 PM, DJC said:

SGB set up really don’t seem to like the Thompson boys.

Surely the way Dan has started the season vs Jenkins start would have warranted a place? 
Is it still Vatcher in charge or do Allen/Stead play a role? 

The British sides selected by Allen & Stead, seem to follow a list of rides, which doesn't change.

Woffy, Lambert, Bewley for SON

Add Ellis, Brennan for SWC

So for European events it's Bewley, Ellis, Brennan, Harris (then dropped for Jenkins).

Now we have Boughen ahead of Dan T. It seems like ability doesn't move you up the "rankings" mainly how willing riders are to travel. 

Connor Bailey as U21 Champ not a reserve for Cardiff as he didn't travel for European events for example.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:41 AM, secsy1 said:

What an utter shambles and disgrace TEAM GB are!

Brennan leaving before the last ride is disgraceful.

To represent your country is the ultimate aim of any sports person and to let the country down is disgraceful to say the least.

Inept management in every respect of team selection and the reasons behind selection.

Pitiful display by who some regard as our future super star rising stars :rofl:

As long as he didn't leave while GB had a chance of winning, that doesn't bother me.

Mind you, can't remember the exact year(s), Robert Lambert got entered into the GP qualifiers, despite not racing in the British final, placings from this meeting should decide who's nominated imo.

So if riders loyal to British Speedway/ the British final get overlooked, how can we expect them to be loyal in return (country ahead of club)?

the only main FIM event in the year is the SWC/SoN, all the others are FIMEurope and these meetings have a lot more limitations, not only financial but also on riders allowed i.e only one GP rider in teams. Some nations choose to use a GP rider, some choose to blood youngsters, others choose experience with youngsters. It's about finding the balance and of course riders that want to be involved. Pulling on a national racejacket isn't always the same now as it was in the past, sometimes it comes down to finances and availability.

I can assure you though that GB do take things incredibly seriously and are constantly working to try to progress and push riders that want to be involved and there will certainly be more medals earned this season.

4 minutes ago, stevehone said:

the only main FIM event in the year is the SWC/SoN, all the others are FIMEurope and these meetings have a lot more limitations, not only financial but also on riders allowed i.e only one GP rider in teams. Some nations choose to use a GP rider, some choose to blood youngsters, others choose experience with youngsters. It's about finding the balance and of course riders that want to be involved. Pulling on a national racejacket isn't always the same now as it was in the past, sometimes it comes down to finances and availability.

I can assure you though that GB do take things incredibly seriously and are constantly working to try to progress and push riders that want to be involved and there will certainly be more medals earned this season.

So why didn’t they enter the European team Championship in 2024 ? Prize money is decent in that comp

Do they qualify for whatever the next round is, or was it winners only?

26 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

The British sides selected by Allen & Stead, seem to follow a list of rides, which doesn't change.

Woffy, Lambert, Bewley for SON

Add Ellis, Brennan for SWC

So for European events it's Bewley, Ellis, Brennan, Harris (then dropped for Jenkins).

Now we have Boughen ahead of Dan T. It seems like ability doesn't move you up the "rankings" mainly how willing riders are to travel. 

Connor Bailey as U21 Champ not a reserve for Cardiff as he didn't travel for European events for example.

They seem to have taken the Southgate approach. Pick on name, team and reputation not form 

It does feel like Boughen should be in and around the squad as he is widely lauded as the next big thing but Jenkins was a very odd choice for me. 

The Thompson family don't come across as not willing to travel to help aid their lads development (don't know anything about them to comment further). 

7 hours ago, racers and royals said:

So why didn’t they enter the European team Championship in 2024 ? Prize money is decent in that comp

my only guess is lack of depth, not knowing if any of our GP riders could do it or not

SGB official twitter page calling out how impressive he's been so far this year. You really couldn't make it up! 

21 hours ago, DJC said:

They seem to have taken the Southgate approach. Pick on name, team and reputation not form 

It does feel like Boughen should be in and around the squad as he is widely lauded as the next big thing but Jenkins was a very odd choice for me. 

The Thompson family don't come across as not willing to travel to help aid their lads development (don't know anything about them to comment further). 

So why comment at all if you do not know anything, can of worms?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, secsy1 said:

So why comment at all if you do not know anything, can of worms?

Not sure I’ve opened a can of worms? 
Pretty obvious that the family have invested a significant amount of time, effort and ultimately money in helping them progress.

Dan deserves to be in the international set up at the younger levels but doesn’t seem to get picked for any- unless they have and haven’t taken the offers. Something fans will probably never be privy too! Although your accusation of opening a can of worms certainly could lead someone to think there is more to it…not for me to say though as I of course do not know anything!