British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Glasgow v Berwick BSN Cup 19/4/24@7-30

Posted (edited)

Putting Etheridge at 5 to me looks a case of damage limitations, aiming to score points in other races, to score as many as possible.

I don't think it will work though, to get the bonus point they need Schlein scoring well at 5 & Etheridge scoring well at 3. As it is I can see Schlein picking up an extra point, but Etheridge dropping 2?

I would use this tactic if I thought I would struggle for 30 points & want to avoid embarrassment, rather than going for a narrow loss & the bonus point. But if anything, it keeps things interesting & I'll give them credit for thinking outside of the box.

Edited by szkocjasid

12 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Etheridge is like a reserve away from home. Putting him at 5 is asking for trouble. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see his 4 heats resulting in 3 5-1s & a 4-2 to Glasgow.

10 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Putting Etheridge at 5 to me looks a case of damage limitations, aiming to score points in other races, to score as many as possible.

I don't think it will work though, to get the bonus point they need Schlein scoring well at 5 & Etheridge scoring well at 3. As it is I can see Schlein picking up an extra point, but Etheridge dropping 2?

I would use this tactic if I thought I would struggle for 30 points & want to avoid embarrassment, rather than going for a narrow loss & the bonus point. But if anything, it keeps things interesting & I'll give them credit for thinking outside of the box.

I can just about see the logic if put danyon at 5 given his previous connections but etheridge is dreadful around ashfield. A shambolic guest appearance at number 1 for us against the enemy a few years back still stings. Only Leigh lanham a few years before stunk the place up worse than that effort!

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Its 7 v 7 don’t think the riding order makes that much difference.Good to see we are trying something different though.

Does anyone know if last week's rain-off ticket can be used this week or if it has to be used for the rearranged meeting only? 

27 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Does anyone know if last week's rain-off ticket can be used this week or if it has to be used for the rearranged meeting only? 

You can use it for any match this season.

• Thanks 1

The moment Glasgow got Vissing in for Flint I think Berwicks chances of getting the bonus point went up in smoke.

We had a fair chance before that imo and I don’t think Sedgy will do a bad job at all, he was the best pick of what was available with Brennan away and Nicholls ultimately never takes Championship guest bookings.

Vissing however makes Glasgow extremely strong, I do also wonder why they let him go and brought Leon in but only time will tell if it works out for them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hamster00 said:

The moment Glasgow got Vissing in for Flint I think Berwicks chances of getting the bonus point went up in smoke.

We had a fair chance before that imo and I don’t think Sedgy will do a bad job at all, he was the best pick of what was available with Brennan away and Nicholls ultimately never takes Championship guest bookings.

Vissing however makes Glasgow extremely strong, I do also wonder why they let him go and brought Leon in but only time will tell if it works out for them.

Bringing Leon in is probably down to 2 things his age and they probably hope there is room for more improvement.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hamster00 said:

Nobody apart from the Glasgow management know why they didn't keep him, literally the exact same starting average as flint with flints discount.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was to do with the difficulty of rearranging of meetings last season with all the overseas conflicts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Bringing Leon in is probably down to 2 things his age and they probably hope there is room for more improvement.

Yeah, he’s deemed a hot prospect………..but then again, so was Bickley. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see but early showings are not brilliant. 

21 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Nobody apart from the Glasgow management know why they didn't keep him, literally the exact same starting average as flint with flints discount.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was to do with the difficulty of rearranging of meetings last season with all the overseas conflicts.

Think saw an interview with cami the logic was 6 Brits with 2.5% reductions meant the side was built nearer 40 than 38. But I'm with everyone else Claus would've got my vote in that position, and each riders early season form only drives home that opinion

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Odds of Paul Starke getting an engine failure tonight?

Odds are suspended on that one, I think.

Claus' rolling average was I believe one of the highest in the championship, as in what he was scoring Vs his GS average. In our little group we were all left scratching our heads why he was missed out. Personally I hope when he comes back with Workington he punishes us with a max.

Just now, Noelinho said:

Odds are suspended on that one, I think.

I think he's three bike failures from 2 meetings and a press and practice.

Again another head scratcher? 

"Paul Starke is a brilliant rider when he has reliable equipment"

Evidently he's still looking for reliable equipment.