British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lisa-colette

Oxford Vs Plymouth BSN group 17/4/24

9 hours ago, lewy said:

Dubious choice of guest,rr would have been better not committed enough for me,we all know zach is better than that probably on strict orders from Poole promotion imo 

A strong performance by the Glads. Not sure that using a 2nd string to guest at 1 was the best idea but then again using r/r at Scunthorpe didn't exactly work either!

1 hour ago, Tosh1218 said:

I’ll guarantee you Zack Cook won’t score4 pts at Oxford for Poole in the season and has really lost Plymouth the match last night

He wont be riding at number one either

23 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

A strong performance by the Glads. Not sure that using a 2nd string to guest at 1 was the best idea but then again using r/r at Scunthorpe didn't exactly work either!

We thought zach would do a job didn't work out but more than happy with how things are shaping up good bunch of lads,no prima Donna's just honest lads who love riding their bikes and competing, I'm sure speedway fans around the country will enjoy watching the gladiators race this season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tosh1218 said:

I’ll guarantee you Zack Cook won’t score4 pts at Oxford for Poole in the season and has really lost Plymouth the match last night

Mainly because he will be riding at 4 and not No1!!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Mainly because he will be riding at 4 and not No1!!! 

Yes we know, but if you watched the meeting it was obvious he could have done better, never mind onwards and upwards hopefully. 

23 minutes ago, lewy said:

Yes we know, but if you watched the meeting it was obvious he could have done better, never mind onwards and upwards hopefully. 

Are you seriously saying he didn't try?

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Why would he bother to show up and leave points money for someone else?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Catalan said:

Are you seriously saying he didn't try?

What I’m saying is I think Cook has played around with his set up and scored enough pts to make it worth his while , I watched the match and I’m sure others will agree  if they took the Poole glasses off 

• Like 2

You would think using one of their own assets to guest would be a positive?!:rofl::rolleyes:

On 4/18/2024 at 9:26 AM, szkocjasid said:

I thought Oxford would do well, but be prone to the odd howler away, due to the inexperience of their bottom end. For Plymouth everyone looked at their top end & couldn't see where the race winners would come from, that's the reason why they were predicted bottom.

I thought Oxford had the best 2.00 riders in the league, so would end up with 2 x 4.00 reserves. Couldn't see as much improvement from other teams reserves.

I have to ask who is the "top rider in the league" and who is the "good heat leader" as Oxford arguably have the strongest top 2 on the league, think you've sold them short on that point.

I hope Plymouth can do well at home & not do "a Birmingham" by throwing away decent away performances by losing at home.

Masters for me is the top rider in the league, Nicholls is a good heat leader, but he's not the 2nd best rider in the league IMO. I agree they do have the strongest top 2 but I don't think they have the best 2 riders in the league.

Going back to the meeting though, I expect the Oxford meeting to probably be a blueprint into how Plymouth matches will go (if we're lucky). I don't see us taking points off the top riders very often but hopefully we can be stronger in the likes of heat 8, 12 and 14.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:02 AM, torpointfanatic22 said:

Masters for me is the top rider in the league, Nicholls is a good heat leader, but he's not the 2nd best rider in the league IMO. I agree they do have the strongest top 2 but I don't think they have the best 2 riders in the league.

Going back to the meeting though, I expect the Oxford meeting to probably be a blueprint into how Plymouth matches will go (if we're lucky). I don't see us taking points off the top riders very often but hopefully we can be stronger in the likes of heat 8, 12 and 14.

Based on last season's averages (discounting Ryan Douglas), only Sam Masters (9.80) and Charles Wright (9.66) were above Nicholls (9.54)....so while you're right that the Cheetahs don't have the best two riders in the league, they're pretty close.

Back to Plymouth, and I was impressed with what I saw, especially from the Thompsons and Bowtell. If all three of them have good seasons (and Covatti returns and scores well), I think Plymouth will pick up plenty of points. No real weak link in the team. Dan Thompson is riding like a heat leader at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

Based on last season's averages (discounting Ryan Douglas), only Sam Masters (9.80) and Charles Wright (9.66) were above Nicholls (9.54)....so while you're right that the Cheetahs don't have the best two riders in the league, they're pretty close.

Back to Plymouth, and I was impressed with what I saw, especially from the Thompsons and Bowtell. If all three of them have good seasons (and Covatti returns and scores well), I think Plymouth will pick up plenty of points. No real weak link in the team. Dan Thompson is riding like a heat leader at the moment.

Not quite the averages I have for them. For championship league meetings, I have (exc. bonus points):

Tarasenko 10.22 (yeah, two meetings, but I'm a Glasgow fan!)

Douglas 9.73

Masters 9.23

Basso 9.19

Harris 9.14

Cook 9.13

Kerr 8.94

Lawson 8.81

Nicholls 8.75

Wright 8.56

Scott was actually third in averages on his team. Glasgow had the best two two (and three) in the league, with Oxford not far behind. Oxford definitely have the best top two now though, I would agree. If I had to take any #5 in the league, it would be Scott. He's really come back strong the last couple of years. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Not quite the averages I have for them. For championship league meetings, I have (exc. bonus points):

Tarasenko 10.22 (yeah, two meetings, but I'm a Glasgow fan!)

Douglas 9.73

Masters 9.23

Basso 9.19

Harris 9.14

Cook 9.13

Kerr 8.94

Lawson 8.81

Nicholls 8.75

Wright 8.56

Scott was actually third in averages on his team. Glasgow had the best two two (and three) in the league, with Oxford not far behind. Oxford definitely have the best top two now though, I would agree. If I had to take any #5 in the league, it would be Scott. He's really come back strong the last couple of years. 

The averages I quoted were the official averages for the 2023 season (all comps, inc. bonus points and minimum of six meetings).

Copied below from Wikipedia (which I presume are also taken from the official averages as they are exactly the same)

1. Ryan Douglas Scunthorpe 10.09
2 Sam Masters Oxford 9.80
3 Charles Wright Redcar 9.66
4 Scott Nicholls Oxford 9.54
5 Chris Harris Glasgow 9.47
6 Benjamin Basso Glasgow 9.45
7 Richard Lawson Poole 9.37
8 Craig Cook Edinburgh 9.08
9 Danny King Redcar 8.58
10 Josh Pickering Edinburgh 8.55
Edited by Bojangles