crescent girl

BERWICK v POOLE (Championship) 7pm, Saturday May 4th

That's 2 nights on the trot, no Trackrat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

And he's supposed to be a gating tart 

He is a great gater but he can battle from the back when needed 

One of the most under-appreciated things I believe is the huge difference that unequal starts can make to a match. Most of all if it is either gates 1 and 3 or gates 2 and 4 which are dominant rather than eg gates 1 and 4. I quite often check to see what the balance is and the trigger for having a look is when matches swing one way then the other. Tonight at Berwick was an example with Berwick going 10 ahead then finally losing.

I checked the gates over heats 1 to 14 and found:

Gate 1 29 pts, Gate 2 11 pts, gate 3 27 pts, gate 4 17 pts.

In other words gates 1 and 3 totalled 56, gates 2 and 4 totalled 28.

I can’t remember seeing a more unbalanced set of gates and it explains almost totally how the match went. Berwick should have capitalised on having gates 1 and 3 in the last heat but they fell just short.

Last night at Edinburgh gates 1 and 3 totalled 50, gates 2 and 4 34, and again it explains the course of the match. Usually the gates at Edinburgh are more even than that. Generally matches will be close when gates are uneven because both teams get an equal chance at the favourable gates. That is NOT the same as saying “It’s the same for both sides” because unequal gates work against the stronger team, the one likely to win if gates are even.

Fantastic ride by Borke in heat 8, but deserved win for Poole in the end. Pickering very hit and miss unfortunately, we’ve been lucky with Lawson recently, and he proved that tonight. Well done Sam Hagon, brilliant meeting from him. Track seemed awful, and completely different to other meetings this season. Kemp let us down, but could see he wasn’t interested after a shove from his teammate in heat 5. Hume inconsistent, Jye average, Schlein lacked speed. Well done Poole on the win.

• Like 2

It's been said plenty times , reserves win meetings and that was proved true tonight, added to the fact that the home team only provided 6 heat wins. You ain't going to a meeting with those stats . 

• Like 1

The 2023 Bandits would’ve lost this by 8-10 points, so some improvement.
Worth coming just to see Bastian Borke. 
As a neutral I’ve been well entertained at Shielfield this season. No complaints 

• Like 1

Well that was disappointing to say the least throwing a ten point lead away apart from Borke the Berwick team to inconsistent , thought we had a real chance tonight but Poole were up for it more as previously said didn't seem to be much shale on it,what a prospect Sam is.

28 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Well that was disappointing to say the least throwing a ten point lead away apart from Borke the Berwick team to inconsistent , thought we had a real chance tonight but Poole were up for it more as previously said didn't seem to be much shale on it,what a prospect Sam is.

We seem to need 4 heats to warm up! ;) Was down by 8 at Edinburgh last night and ten tonight! 

1 hour ago, Al Stewart said:

One of the most under-appreciated things I believe is the huge difference that unequal starts can make to a match. Most of all if it is either gates 1 and 3 or gates 2 and 4 which are dominant rather than eg gates 1 and 4. I quite often check to see what the balance is and the trigger for having a look is when matches swing one way then the other. Tonight at Berwick was an example with Berwick going 10 ahead then finally losing.

I checked the gates over heats 1 to 14 and found:

Gate 1 29 pts, Gate 2 11 pts, gate 3 27 pts, gate 4 17 pts.

In other words gates 1 and 3 totalled 56, gates 2 and 4 totalled 28.

I can’t remember seeing a more unbalanced set of gates and it explains almost totally how the match went. Berwick should have capitalised on having gates 1 and 3 in the last heat but they fell just short.

Last night at Edinburgh gates 1 and 3 totalled 50, gates 2 and 4 34, and again it explains the course of the match. Usually the gates at Edinburgh are more even than that. Generally matches will be close when gates are uneven because both teams get an equal chance at the favourable gates. That is NOT the same as saying “It’s the same for both sides” because unequal gates work against the stronger team, the one likely to win if gates are even.

How many points did each Team get out of Gates 1-3 matters though,if the were that unequal. who were the stronger Team is also the question.

Posted (edited)

Excluding Bastion who gives 110% for 4 laps every race.How do explain riders who win races then lose races by 1/4 of a lap.Just asking.!(I am assuming it’s just the “set-up” excuse)

Edited by Fromafar

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Excluding Bastion who gives 110% for 4 laps every race.How do explain riders who win races then lose races by 1/4 of a lap.Just asking.!(I am assuming it’s just the “set-up” excuse)

Spot on Hume being an example 2 wins and 2 last places 

Well done to both teams.

I am really confused as when Josh Pickering was racing for Edinburgh and he moved at the start (missed the start), the race was stopped and he was given a warning as it was the rule according to the referee.

Josh was moving last night and the referee let the race go and warned him after the race. How is this possible as we were told at the Edinburgh match that a new rule was introduced that didn't allow this to happen (didn't see it in the rulebook).

I also thought you couldn't have your back wheel spinning before the tapes go up but I am obviously wrong there as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

Well done to both teams.

I am really confused as when Josh Pickering was racing for Edinburgh and he moved at the start (missed the start), the race was stopped and he was given a warning as it was the rule according to the referee.

Josh was moving last night and the referee let the race go and warned him after the race. How is this possible as we were told at the Edinburgh match that a new rule was introduced that didn't allow this to happen (didn't see it in the rulebook).

I also thought you couldn't have your back wheel spinning before the tapes go up but I am obviously wrong there as well.

No consistency absolute joke these rules and referees 

14 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

No consistency absolute joke these rules and referees 

Quite agree, all you want is consistency from referees so we all know where we stand, happens in football all the time. 

• Like 1