British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Sheffield vs Ipswich 13th May

An old cliche but you can meet a team 6 times over a season and get different results each time. Any earlier result means very little when it comes to the play offs. Belle Vue won both league meetings at Foxhall last year, but we walloped them by 18 in the play off semis. They finished top and were the best side in the league last year, we scraped in 4th but knocked them out in the semi finals. You just really don’t know when the play offs come around. Just have to make sure you get there first and foremost. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MP78 said:

I don't have the knowledge of the rulebook that a lot of you have so bear with me, but the document is dated 5th March 2024... Was Sheffield's team ratified by the league before or after that date?  If after then there is every possibility that a new list needs to be issued (this may have been overlooked?) and perhaps Edwards won't be on it?  Genuinely don't know, so not stirring, just asking the question really... 

Edwards and Gilkes were announced on 20/11/23, completing the Tigers line-up.  Gilkes was named as the Rising Star because he had an established Premier Green Sheet of 3.67 (as per the RS list).  Edwards is also a Rising Star, but has a 3.00 Green Sheet.  Gilkes average would not have fat in the Tigers line-up if he had been named at #6.

Even though Gilkes' averages was higher than Edwards, he was named at #7 because the Regs state that the named Rising Star only moves from #7 if his average takes him into the top five.

PS: The 2024 Regs are available for download at scbgb.co.uk 

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Typo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

An old cliche but you can meet a team 6 times over a season and get different results each time. Any earlier result means very little when it comes to the play offs. Belle Vue won both league meetings at Foxhall last year, but we walloped them by 18 in the play off semis. They finished top and were the best side in the league last year, we scraped in 4th but knocked them out in the semi finals. You just really don’t know when the play offs come around. Just have to make sure you get there first and foremost. 

Get what you’re saying what happens early doors doesn’t matter come the playoffs.i personally don’t like the playoffs whoever finishes top over the season are champions for me but Hey Ho .Ipswich for me this year have got the balance right and the form of Dan Thompson being a bloody good bonus .But come the playoffs and the dreaded injuries things can change,but don’t worry Acebelle has got things covered as they win everything on aggregate lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Get what you’re saying what happens early doors doesn’t matter come the playoffs.i personally don’t like the playoffs whoever finishes top over the season are champions for me but Hey Ho .Ipswich for me this year have got the balance right and the form of Dan Thompson being a bloody good bonus .But come the playoffs and the dreaded injuries things can change,but don’t worry Acebelle has got things covered as they win everything on aggregate lol

how do you think the play/offs are decided ? oh yeah Aggregate scores :t:

26 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

how do you think the play/offs are decided ? oh yeah Aggregate scores :t:

No worries you ve got it covered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r8gdp said:

Well for a start we need to know were Lambert will be! Lots will happen between now and the playoffs we can be sure of that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Being outspoken means stating your opinions frankly and clearly, it doesn’t mean being too inarticulate to express yourself in normal language.

What Tai is known for is having his brains in his throttle hand.

Tai is also known as being a proven multi world champion. Controversy is part of his make up as well it seems. 

6 hours ago, magnificentseven said:

I thought the comparison between Tai's interview and Emil's interview was interesting - totally chalk and cheese.

Tai always seems to have a chip on his shoulder and be looking for ways to be controversial - never seems to engage well with the interviewer.

Compare that to Emil - both riders of similar standard but Emil much more interesting and easier to listen to.

Tai is a proven world champion multi times over, Emil is not.  Tai is a loose cannon and controversial character at times but has earned that right.

Emil can be as interview perfect as he wants, he is very popular.  Being a good interviewer doesn’t earn him the kudos that Tai already has.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Being outspoken means stating your opinions frankly and clearly, it doesn’t mean being too inarticulate to express yourself in normal language.

What Tai is known for is having his brains in his throttle hand.

I think he's probably got more brains than people give him credit for and that he knows exactly what he's doing when expressing himself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Tai is also known as being a proven multi world champion. Controversy is part of his make up as well it seems. 

Tai is a proven world champion multi times over, Emil is not.  Tai is a loose cannon and controversial character at times but has earned that right.

Emil can be as interview perfect as he wants, he is very popular.  Being a good interviewer doesn’t earn him the kudos that Tai already has.

Nobody is arguing about Tai’s past record. That speaks for itself, but speedway needs every avenue of support it can get and mouthing off is not the way to get it. It’s a pity because I know from personal experience that Tai can be a very nice guy behind the scenes. I just don’t know why he he speaks the way he does in the public eye sometimes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, r8gdp said:

No worries you ve got it covered 

Until they change the format/rules Aggerate wins will do the business :t:

1 hour ago, AceBelle said:

Until they change the format/rules Aggerate wins will do the business :t:

Exactly as they did in the semi-final last season :t: (and, of course, in the Grand Final).

12 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Nobody is arguing about Tai’s past record. That speaks for itself, but speedway needs every avenue of support it can get and mouthing off is not the way to get it. It’s a pity because I know from personal experience that Tai can be a very nice guy behind the scenes. I just don’t know why he he speaks the way he does in the public eye sometimes.

Tai always wants to appear cool, aloof and controversial. I get it. Whether it’s the right approach is a different matter. 
Either way, he has succeeded doing it his way and generally is the one the press and interviewers want to speak to the most. 

On 5/13/2024 at 10:20 PM, GeneralMelchett said:

well done Witches Sheffield too too heavy tonight Holder would normally score more - but the others didn’t step up to cover for that! 

J.Holder, C.Holder and Woffinden were only beaten by Doyle & Sayfutdinov - defeating all the other Witches - although they did defeat Doyle and Sayfutdinov in some heats - so it was really honours-even between the top riders.

In the meantime, Doyle & Sayfutdinov scored only 8 each, and were beaten by Sheffield second string riders in one race each when they scored 0.

3 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

J.Holder, C.Holder and Woffinden were only beaten by Doyle & Sayfutdinov - defeating all the other Witches - although they did defeat Doyle and Sayfutdinov in some heats - so it was really honours-even between the top riders.

In the meantime, Doyle & Sayfutdinov scored only 8 each, and were beaten by Sheffield second string riders in one race each when they scored 0.

Shows how strong Ipswich are. Winning away at their titles without their top 2 dominating

• Like 2

We only had 4 last places and our top two got two of them!! League must be dreading when they start scoring like we know they can.