British Speedway Forum

IF, as seems likely, Darcy Ward defers his inevitable progression to the SGP series for a year who will the FIM and BSI choose to take his place in 2012?

To appease the angry PC brigade and even better,confuse the Sky commentators,i would nominate Shanchajan Vasantharajan :party::party: But sadly i fear he has retired from our sport,so i think Parsloes should nominate the "new face" :rofl:

IF, as seems likely, Darcy Ward defers his inevitable progression to the SGP series for a year who will the FIM and BSI choose to take his place in 2012?

I'm not sure who should be given a wild card in his place ... but I have to say after all this talk we have had about GP qualification I don't feel to well disposed to any little mite who turns down a wild card.

I just don't accept the explanations being given.

Here is a rider who entered the qualificatiuon procedure to try and gain entry to the 2012 series ... but failed. He was quite happy to take every opportunity to have individual wild cards as they were presented ( with not a thought for others who may have relished the priviledge) ... but now finds he has overpowering reasons for not accepting a permanent wild card for 2012.

What would have happened if he had actually qualified via the system in place. Would he have declined to take up his place if he had gained it through Vetlanda? Or is it only the wild card he feels so happy to decline?

If I were BSI I would say 'Sod you, Darcy'.

Edited by Grand Central

So if Darcy turns it down then why let him in in the future? It's an interesting scenario. Given a couple of years - if he's still turning it down - we could have a situation where the rider who is possibly the best in the world is not in the World Championship.

It'll be like Ali/Fazier all over again. Who's the real champ? The champ can't be the worlds champ coz he ain't beaten Darcy!

Maybe others will drop out too. Then we could see a split and two seperate "World" championships - a GRand Prix and a one-off individual one. Sounds far fetched but it's happened in other sports so it could happen.

Can see a big thrilling meeting in Manila deciding it in the end.

if darcy doesnt want it then i would suggest Pawlicki. shamak is doing really well esp in poland.

Tai would have been good choice but dont think he wants it yet

Maybe nicholls or rory schlein?

Edited by mdmc82

my choice would be Grigorij Laguta. Very good results in both Sweden and Poland.

The question though, is if he would have problems getting a visa?

my choice would be Grigorij Laguta. Very good results in both Sweden and Poland.

The question though, is if he would have problems getting a visa?

What he said .. :cheers:

I'm not sure who should be given a wild card in his place ... but I have to say after all this talk we have had about GP qualification I don't feel to well disposed to any little mite who turns down a wild card.

I just don't accept the explanations being given.

Here is a rider who entered the qualificatiuon procedure to try and gain entry to the 2012 series ... but failed. He was quite happy to take every opportunity to have individual wild cards as they were presented ( with not a thought for others who may have relished the priviledge) ... but now finds he has overpowering reasons for not accepting a permanent wild card for 2012.

What would have happened if he had actually qualified via the system in place. Would he have declined to take up his place if he had gained it through Vetlanda? Or is it only the wild card he feels so happy to decline?

If I were BSI I would say 'Sod you, Darcy'.

The most ridiculous post ever, you dont no wards reasons finance?Ive mentioned it before Ward is a terrific rider.His choice ,keep saying about oh he didnt qualify Speedway needs the wards of this world because there is a lack of general quality world wide coming through.You would have to be stevie wonder to say he shouldnt be in the gps.anyway darcys call maybe he hasnt the set up yet.Why are some people negative towards him?one of a few riders i would pay just to see him ride.

Maybe Nicholls?

:rofl:

He would end the season on about 35 points, and that's with 12 rounds.

It was reported that Matej Zagar was invited to take part if any of the 4 refused their place.

However, Matej has already rejected this offer and signed to race for Gorzow alongside Tomasz Gollob next season.

The only reason Darcy Ward might turn a wild card down is because the money in the GP's is pathetic and if they bring the new rule in Poland next season he could be frozen out. Poland will probably bring in a rule that any team can only have one GP rider. Only 4 or 5 riders make a profit out of a GP.

It is obscene that the prize money for a GP ranges from £6500 down to £1000 depending where you finish. That roughly £60,000 prize money for a 3 live hour meeting. The riders have to take their accommodation.travel ,mechanic's fees out of that. Compare that to Sky paying on average £2,4million per live Premier League football match. I know what is more entertaining. So ING will have to up the ante or the GP's will die unless they pay a sensible return for the riders efforts .

If one rider won say 10 Grand Prix's he would only win ££65,000. That is awful compared to some darts and snooker prize money.

Speedway should end all this rubbish with the GP's and get back to it's roots again and have a proper world championship. There are people who have nothing to do with Speedway earning far more out of it than Speedway itself

It was reported that Matej Zagar was invited to take part if any of the 4 refused their place.

However, Matej has already rejected this offer and signed to race for Gorzow alongside Tomasz Gollob next season.

Phew!

Phew!

Yup.Fingers crossed PePe * Bjarne have to turn down their places as well :party:

I think it shows you where the real power is in World Speedway.

Poland.

Any rider who has aspirations of riding in the top league in Poland is not going to take a wild card, end of the day money talks and pays the bills.