British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I was talking to someone from Peterborough recently who mentioned that someone had bought a house near the East of England Showground and then complained about the noise generated by the bikes!

The people who have bought the house aren't a couple named Katherine Lawrence and Raymond Shields, formerly of West Row, Suffolk, by any chance?

• Like 1

The people who have bought the house aren't a couple named Katherine Lawrence and Raymond Shields, formerly of West Row, Suffolk, by any chance?

This was whilst working in York that I had this conversation.

I can see the same problem at Oxford if the stadium should hope to operate a speedway there again. It was fine before when the stadium was there long before any houses but what with the discontinuation of speedway (since 2007) I can see local residents objecting to the re-introduction of the sport on noise and nuisance grounds. I can potentially foresee a long battle ahead thru' the courts but the saving grace is that the present council appear to be in favour of the facility...time will tell.

Edited by steve roberts

This was whilst working in York that I had this conversation.

I can see the same problem at Oxford if the stadium should hope to operate a speedway there again. It was fine before when the stadium was there long before any houses but what with the discontinuation of speedway (since 2007) I can see local residents objecting to the re-introduction of the sport on noise and nuisance grounds. I can potentially foresee a long battle ahead thru' the courts but the saving grace is that the present council appear to be in favour of the facility...time will tell.

Noise and nuisance objections, in Blackbird Leys? :o

• Like 2

Noise and nuisance objections, in Blackbird Leys? :o

Brought up on Blackbird Leys....and proud of it!

• Like 1

You know it's hardly sleepy suburbia then ;) . Always got the impression lots of locals of the estate were regulars anyway. They'd probably prefer speedway once a week for 7 months of the year, than additional housing and all the infrastructure problems that go with these infill developments.

• Like 1

Since they developed the stadium you could barely hear the bikes on the Leys.

Though you could hear them down Cowley Rd.

So with all the new silencers it shouldn't be a problem but someone no doubt will kick up a fuss

Born on Blackbird leys and proud

Born in Rayleigh....was proud, until they demolished the speedway stadium!

Just read the GRA have sold Hall Green Dog stadium in Birmingham to developers. So it appears the GRA are definately winding up.

The GRA don't actually own the Hall Green stadium, it was sold in 2014 to Euro Property Investments apparently for 3M.

The greyhounds have a 15 year lease with a break clause after 5 years, so they are safe until then, unless they opt to get out earlier.

Fortunately Perry Barr is owned by Birmingham Council so the GRA can't sell that one. :D

Edited by Dave Jones