British Speedway Forum

The only thing about running it on the Sunday, I guess, is a possible clash with Poland, which might scupper it.

Who's riding in Poland from the PL? Genuine question :P

Also then make it Monday!! People can make Cardiff and the pairs a long weekend :t:

Also then make it Monday!! People can make Cardiff and the pairs a long weekend :t:

Yes, Monday, great idea! And the BSPA get criticised for daft ideas?

I don't know of one person who is still in the South on a Monday night of the Cardiff weekend, it is far too expensive to have to stay down there an extra 1, 2 or even 3 nights just to watch the pairs, and there will be EL meetings on the Monday night so that's a pretty rediculous statement, at least your half a team qualified as if the draw was done a week later Berwick would of probably been in ahead of you's.

don't see why the reserves for the gp cant do the pairs

Edinburgh managed to compete the two years they were missing Craig Cook, in fact they won it without him two years ago. Everybody knows the set up at the start of the season. Accept it and get on with it and stop whining.

• Like 7

Exactly surely something can be worked.

How's it a ridculous statement as by not having those riders present not only totally devalues the meeting but will also knock the attendence down. Also with the point a couple have mentioned concerning the PL/EL doubling up argument It has nothing to do with the qualification for the GP event.

Which team do you support?

Edinburgh managed to compete the two years they were missing Craig Cook, in fact they won it without him two years ago. Everybody knows the set up at the start of the season. Accept it and get on with it and stop whining.

If I didn't know better I would say you must be a promoter.

This event does very well on the back of the British GP, it would do even better if the governing body ensured every rider was available for his club irrespective of how many matches they had ridden or their involvement in the GP.

It never ceases to amaze me how the BSPA attempt to actively encourage the top riders to ride in some events and just create so many Unwritten and Unpublished rules that rule so many riders out in others.

I dare say if this event wasn't so popular they might just take more notice but to effectively handicap half of the teams in it is just ridiculous.

• Like 2

I think some posters here need to realise that it's all very well spouting theory about how wonderful it would be if their ideas were adopted and their version of purity were achieved. Meanwhile the rest of us have to live in the real world where compromises have to be made. Staging the Pairs the night before Cardiff works and has done for some time. Okay the cost is to lose one or two riders from the competition. This year there are three and all hell breaks loose!

Yes it would be perfect to have every eligible rider in the meeting but the history of the event is littered with withdrawals, and not always due to injuries. This year Ipswich and Newcastle have top riders missing. Other teams have had this problem and accepted that in that year they had to exchange success in the pairs for pride in having their riders in the GP.

Yes, you could stage it at another time but why wreck a successful weekend because this year the supporters of the teams involved can't accept that? It'll be someone else's turn next year. As someone's pointed out Edinburgh had to accept it for several years.

One poster asks why the GP reserves can't ride. The answer is that FIM regulations do not permit a rider once signed into the GP on the Friday from riding elsewhere.

Another refers to 'half the teams being affected'. Last time I got my abacus out half of ten was five, not two.

Okay, so assuming there is still a Premier League as we know it in 2017 and we do switch the meeting away from the Cardiff weekend to one when fans can still attend in numbers what are the chances that every fit and eligible rider will be there? I've seen enough of the event over the past forty years to know the answer to that one.

The Sunday after the GP might be worth considering but even if Poland doesn't clash you can be certain that something will.

As for the poster who advocated Monday, have they seen the cost of just one night's accommodation in Cardiff on GP weekend? It's one of the reasons why the GP is staged early on a Saturday - to give people the chance to get home without having to pay Cardiff's rip-off prices.

The Pairs currently works superbly as a support warm-up event to Cardiff. Let's throw it away because a few supporters can't accept that it's their turn to make a minor sacrifice for the benefit of the sport as a whole. Of course we will...

Two very high-profile PL riders, Brady Kurtz (Polonia Pila), Sam Masters (Krakow), - plus Emil Grondal (Rawicz) have all ridden in the last two rounds of the Polish League.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 5

He's not done enough meetings I don't think?

It'll be ridiculous if Cook and Kurtz are blocked from riding. I understand wanting to avoid the situation where Craig Watson made his debut for Glasgow in the pairs, but Kurtz and Cook have been signed to their teams for weeks now, regardless of how many meetings they've ridden in.

National Stadium - Saturday PL Pairs. Sunday PLRC. Problem solved?

I think some posters here need to realise that it's all very well spouting theory about how wonderful it would be if their ideas were adopted and their version of purity were achieved. Meanwhile the rest of us have to live in the real world where compromises have to be made. Staging the Pairs the night before Cardiff works and has done for some time. Okay the cost is to lose one or two riders from the competition. This year there are three and all hell breaks loose!

Yes it would be perfect to have every eligible rider in the meeting but the history of the event is littered with withdrawals, and not always due to injuries. This year Ipswich and Newcastle have top riders missing. Other teams have had this problem and accepted that in that year they had to exchange success in the pairs for pride in having their riders in the GP.

Yes, you could stage it at another time but why wreck a successful weekend because this year the supporters of the teams involved can't accept that? It'll be someone else's turn next year. As someone's pointed out Edinburgh had to accept it for several years.

One poster asks why the GP reserves can't ride. The answer is that FIM regulations do not permit a rider once signed into the GP on the Friday from riding elsewhere.

Another refers to 'half the teams being affected'. Last time I got my abacus out half of ten was five, not two.

Okay, so assuming there is still a Premier League as we know it in 2017 and we do switch the meeting away from the Cardiff weekend to one when fans can still attend in numbers what are the chances that every fit and eligible rider will be there? I've seen enough of the event over the past forty years to know the answer to that one.

The Sunday after the GP might be worth considering but even if Poland doesn't clash you can be certain that something will.

As for the poster who advocated Monday, have they seen the cost of just one night's accommodation in Cardiff on GP weekend? It's one of the reasons why the GP is staged early on a Saturday - to give people the chance to get home without having to pay Cardiff's rip-off prices.

The Pairs currently works superbly as a support warm-up event to Cardiff. Let's throw it away because a few supporters can't accept that it's their turn to make a minor sacrifice for the benefit of the sport as a whole. Of course we will...

Two very high-profile PL riders, Brady Kurtz (Polonia Pila), Sam Masters (Krakow), - plus Emil Grondal (Rawicz) have all ridden in the last two rounds of the Polish League.

Actually Rob it's six riders, King, Cook, B Kurtz, Barker, R Lambert and S Worrall that we know of, that's four teams affected by missing riders and out of 10 teams that's ridiculous, the only one that should miss is King who will likely be practising with the other GP riders.

lol, no one is whining, or at least I'm not, it's just a public forum where people put forward ideas :P

If I didn't know better I would say you must be a promoter.

This event does very well on the back of the British GP, it would do even better if the governing body ensured every rider was available for his club irrespective of how many matches they had ridden or their involvement in the GP.

It never ceases to amaze me how the BSPA attempt to actively encourage the top riders to ride in some events and just create so many Unwritten and Unpublished rules that rule so many riders out in others.

I dare say if this event wasn't so popular they might just take more notice but to effectively handicap half of the teams in it is just ridiculous.

Not a promoter.

Where are these unwritten and unpublished rules, they've been the same for years?

• Like 1

Group A

Glasgow - Richard Lawson & Aaron Summers

Workington - Claus Vissing & Kenneth Hansen

Somerset - Josh Grajczonek & Rohan Tungate

Newcastle - Ludvig Lindgren & Matej Mus

Peterborough - Ulrich Ostergaard & Nikolaj Busk Jakobsen

Group B

Sheffield - Simon Stead & Jason Garrity

Edinburgh - Sam Masters & Kevin Wilbert

Ipswich - Nico Covatti & Morten Risager

Rye House - Edward Kennett & Stuart Robson