British Speedway Forum
ch958

Friends And Enemies

does anyone know any stories of riders who were either great pals or , more interestingly perhaps, sworn enemies

does anyone know any stories of riders who were either great pals or , more interestingly perhaps, sworn enemies

Friends = Jack Millen and Jim Wells. Both Sunderland 'Stars'.

Enemies = Jack Millen and Frank Auffret. Auffret Teeside 'Tigers'.

Enemies. Malcolm Ballard vs the brothers Kennett in the 1971 Second Half Finals at Eastbourne

Friends = Jack Millen and Jim Wells. Both Sunderland 'Stars'.

Enemies = Jack Millen and Frank Auffret. Auffret Teeside 'Tigers'.

oh yes - i witnessed this on a few occasions

• Like 1

Enemies- Ivor Brown and Ivan Mauger in the Provincial League. Clive Featherby and Ronnie Genz(and just about everybody). Peter Collins and Kenny Carter, also Kenny Carter and just about any American.

Enemies- Ivor Brown and Ivan Mauger in the Provincial League. Clive Featherby and Ronnie Genz(and just about everybody). Peter Collins and Kenny Carter, also Kenny Carter and just about any American.

I thought Carter got on very well with both Moran's ?

Enemies - Martin Dugard and Brian Karger.

Hans Nielsen and Ole Olsen weren't exactly on the best of terms when Olsen became Denmark boss in 1985. Not sure of any issues when they were both riding though.

Also, Steve Bastable wasn't a popular visitor to Plough Lane after he fenced Rudy Muts in 1979. Sadly, Rudy was never the same rider after breaking his neck in the accident.

Think you are right Sidney-I referred to the excellent book "Tragedy" by TMC and on p.128 it confirms that-apparently Kenny didn't have any use for Penhall, Bobby Schwartz and Dennis Sigalos.but got along with the Morans.

Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs. Enemies on the track; friends off it.

Think you are right Sidney-I referred to the excellent book "Tragedy" by TMC and on p.128 it confirms that-apparently Kenny didn't have any use for Penhall, Bobby Schwartz and Dennis Sigalos.but got along with the Morans.

Funny thing "BOBBATH" is i have plenty of pictures of Carter/Penhall together all smiles then so i dont think there relationship was always bad.And i can always remember Schwartz who were hardly friends having the grace to shake Carter's hand after winning the pairs with PC a great gesture i thought.Anyway you would probably know "BOBBATH" was there any truth in the Mauger Ivor Brown feud or was that a myth.?

Funny thing "BOBBATH" is i have plenty of pictures of Carter/Penhall together all smiles then so i dont think there relationship was always bad.And i can always remember Schwartz who were hardly friends having the grace to shake Carter's hand after winning the pairs with PC a great gesture i thought.Anyway you would probably know "BOBBATH" was there any truth in the Mauger Ivor Brown feud or was that a myth.?

In Ivan's first biography 'Triple Crown Plus' he refers to a rider he hated but not by name. When Ivor Brown died Mauger did then quote his name as the rider he was referring to...he also kept a little black book apparently with name listed if I recall.

Apparently Carter hated Hans Nielsen for an incident that happened at the Shay...but then didn't Carter make a habit of making enemies generally. I admired, of sorts, his on track prowess but as a person disliked him. Visited his grave recently and I didn't feel any emotion other than numbness.

In Ivan's first biography 'Triple Crown Plus' he refers to a rider he hated but not by name. When Ivor Brown died Mauger did then quote his name as the rider he was referring to...he also kept a little black book apparently with name listed if I recall.

Apparently Carter hated Hans Nielsen for an incident that happened at the Shay...but then didn't Carter make a habit of making enemies generally. I admired, of sorts, his on track prowess but as a person disliked him. Visited his grave recently and I didn't feel any emotion other than numbness.

He did have a gripe against Nielsen and he was very pleased when he beat Nielsen for the helmet.That day along with his brilliant BLRC wins showed how good he really was.He totally destroyed Nielsen at the Shay, and the Carter Dvd is worth getting for the footage against Nielsen/Lee in the Helmet a brilliant Dvd the best i have.

From somewhere i seem to have a feeling Gerd Riss and Robert Barth didn't get along.....